Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 25th October 2010, 21:59   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Are there any grey market iMac suppliers in Mumbai and Pune?
How about Lamington Road or Heera Panna in Mumbai
The international & indian price are not much different, not sure if it makes sense for the grey market guys to operate with little difference in pricing.
I would recommend any one; to forget that small discount, rather ensure your free one year warranty and further eligibility for APP by purchasing via India Apple dealers.

One secret is to scout the Apple (dealer) showrooms for older models which can fetch discount of 35%. some may be as old as 6 months. I did get a 21.5 inch Imac for 45K :-) (Demo model). I did get the complete 1 year warranty from the date of my purchase & eligible for APP also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Any idea how much the education discount is on Macs? Does it bring it in line with international pricing?
around 12% discount; even if you are employed and doing distance education would qualify you for this discount.

But; that i think was applicable until sep or oct end; do check with Apple though.
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 07:24   #362
BANNED

Quote:
Are there any grey market iMac suppliers in Mumbai and Pune?
How about Lamington Road or Heera Panna in Mumbai
NEVER buy a mac from these guys. I have heard horror stories of the RAMs being switched out. Did you know that the Apple 2GB RAM was almost 14K!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Any idea how much the education discount is on Macs? Does it bring it in line with international pricing?
I found the mac cheaper in India.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 09:31   #363
Team-BHP Support

With MACS never take chances. Just buy an authentic one and you will never get worried again!
In fact I am not sure if there exists a grey market for MACS.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 10:25   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I found the mac cheaper in India.
I found the UK price to be comparable with India price.
It's US/Hong Kong/Singapore that's drastically cheaper.

As per my calculations, I can fly HK, stay in a very nice hotel for 3/4 days and buy a iMac for the same cost as buying in India. In effect I am getting a free holiday!
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 05:44   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found the UK price to be comparable with India price.
It's US/Hong Kong/Singapore that's drastically cheaper.

As per my calculations, I can fly HK, stay in a very nice hotel for 3/4 days and buy a iMac for the same cost as buying in India. In effect I am getting a free holiday!

I believe the Macbook Pro is about 20k cheaper in Canada. I guess you could travel abroad to pick up a Macbook Pro. I'm not sure if you can do the same for an iMac. Won't customs be a problem?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 08:16   #366
BHPian

HI All,
I use a Mac book white 13" back home in Bangalore. Trust me so far no problem at all.Havent faced a single shut down and stuff like that what we face with windows.
Only problem i am facing is that i am missing MS Office.

Thanks
MSVG
msvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 10:10   #367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvg View Post
HI All,
I use a Mac book white 13" back home in Bangalore. Trust me so far no problem at all.Havent faced a single shut down and stuff like that what we face with windows.
Only problem i am facing is that i am missing MS Office.

Thanks
MSVG
There is an Office release for MAC. But 2010 release does not have VB support and hence in EXCEL you cannot do macros. If you can lay your hands on 2008/2003 office for MAC, that should be fine. There 2011 release also coming up (or not sure if its already released).
Old 27th October 2010, 11:36   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is an Office release for MAC. But 2010 release does not have VB support and hence in EXCEL you cannot do macros. If you can lay your hands on 2008/2003 office for MAC, that should be fine. There 2011 release also coming up (or not sure if its already released).
2011 is out and I have it running on my computer.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 15:05   #369
Senior - BHPian

My macbook is doing fine so far. But occasionally, I have major issues with Excel for Mac that came with the machine. MS Excel keeps shutting down saying it has encountered a problem. I have learnt to save work all the time, but this is a bit of a pain. Any reason why this happens?
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 08:51   #370
BHPian

Default Macbook White vs Thinkpad T410

Guys, I was interested in getting a new laptop to supplement my existing Thinkpad R60, which would great and reliable but is quite slow for multitasking.

The thing is, I have a budget of about 60k to spend (I know, a lot) as I want quality over frilly features. I do not like most consumer laptops because of their glossy screen (which gives my eye ache and headache as I have to use the system for extended periods). So a laptop with a matte or preferably less glossy screen was needed. Also, since I am spoiled by the durability, reliability, excellent keyboard of my Thinkpad, I was considering a T410 (65k with 3 year warranty).

But the idea of a Macbook was also pitched to me, and I tried it out at Croma.
Here are its pros and cons:

Macbook (Core2Duo 2.4Ghz, 2GB, 250GB)

+Looks really nice in white
+OSX is stable and works well
+Cool and quiet, apparently
+Screen is not too glossy
+Battery life is good
+Keyboard feels good, trackpad is amazing
+Can play games
+Performance will not deteriorate over time

-Price
-Applecare at 13.5k is very expensive
-Heard on net that the White Macbook is fragile and heats up
-Specs are not great
-Even at max brigthness levels, colours are a bit washed out
-Issues with battery reported at macforum
-Very expensive to service and repair (parts cost 15k, 25k etc... its horrendous!)
-Only 2 USB! Very poor placement of ports

Can I upgrade the RAM in this to any normal RAM (4GB) without hurting my warranty, or is there any special RAM I need to buy?

Thinkpad T410 (Core i3, 2GB, 320GB, Win 7 Pro)

+Built like a tank
+Matte screen
+Excellent keyboard and trackpad
+Windows 7 Pro
+Cheaper than Mac if you take in account the warranty
+Runs cool and quiet
+Proven brand for me

-Speakers not as good as Mac
-Screen still not bright enough
-Only 2GB RAM may not suffice for Windows
-Win7 means performance will deteriorate over time
-Bit apprehensive of Thinkpad's now that Lenovo runs them
-Battery life not as good as mac

Which one would you guys suggest?
I require reliability, longevity, cool and quiet system, excellent keyboard and trackpad, decent battery life. I expect this laptop to last me at least 4-5 years (with a RAM upgrade in the middle).

Or is there any third model you suggest? I do not want a Macbook Pro as its screen is too glossy for my liking.
avi550m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2010, 10:34   #371
Team-BHP Support

You dont have to pay for Apple care at the time of purchase as it comes with a one year warranty. Just make sure, you before that one year lapses. They are very strict about it. Even if you loose a day, they wont allow you to update.
Old 20th November 2010, 21:01   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
My macbook is doing fine so far. But occasionally, I have major issues with Excel for Mac that came with the machine. MS Excel keeps shutting down saying it has encountered a problem. I have learnt to save work all the time, but this is a bit of a pain. Any reason why this happens?
I have the same goddamn problem with my macbook. The excel thing keeps shutting down repeatedly. Every 30 seconds or so. Very frustrating.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 06:17   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have the same goddamn problem with my macbook. The excel thing keeps shutting down repeatedly. Every 30 seconds or so. Very frustrating.
Be very alert if my experience is anything to go by. I first noticed this excel problem when I was travelling. In a few days, other apps started to slow down, and I started to see the sudarshan chakra a lot more! I tried to do disk repair, but it told me that I needed to do this by restarting from the OSX installer DVD.
When I got home, I was able to do that, and the disk repair started, but shut down after a while, saying, disk cannot be repaired. I then did a OSX reinstall after reformatting the HDD, and the thing worked fine for 2 days, when the chakra reappeared at the apple icon in the left top corner, and the shut down menu would not appear. Things went downhill rapidly from there to a point where it was hard to shut it down and when it did, it would not restart. The screen would light, but the HDD activity light went to black almost right away and that is all that the machine could do, show me a white screen. It is now in Apple custody, probably needs a new HDD, which is being imported from Singapore, or so I am told. The only consolation is that this will not cost me anything except loss of face, being in the first year warranty.
Loss of face because this is payback time for all my PC friends who are tired of hearing me saying "Macs don't crash"!!
Old 21st November 2010, 12:00   #374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Funny. In the past 12 years of using a mac, i have never faced this problem.

Couple of Qs:

- Are you using a pirated version of windoze office?
- When was the last time you ran cocktail/disk utility?

EDIT:
@Sawyer,

This crash happens only when you move your laptop and your HD has not gone to sleep. Once you close the lid, make sure your comp goes to sleep mode and the light starts pulsating. Only then should you move your laptop. If you move it before that, the HD head gets stuck and these problems arise.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 21st November 2010 at 12:02. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:26   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This crash happens only when you move your laptop and your HD has not gone to sleep. Once you close the lid, make sure your comp goes to sleep mode and the light starts pulsating. Only then should you move your laptop. If you move it before that, the HD head gets stuck and these problems arise.
I have been very scrupulous about following this practice right from day 1....