Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 22nd February 2011, 09:26   #391
BHPian

Default Connecting MBP to HDTV WIRELESSLY

Hey Fellas,

I am planning to buy a MBP 13" , I intend to connect it to my HDTV wirelessly . Is it possible I tried to google the solution but no use .

This is going to be my first mac . I want to stream movies to my TV wirelessly and also want to use TV as secondary display . Is it possible?
prashant.dinkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:20   #392
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I think wireless HDMI streaming is still very very expensive.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 18:44   #393
Team-BHP Support

If streaming is the main concern, best ii mac mini.
But I guess you must have reasons for the MBP.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 03:20   #394
Senior - BHPian

Updated Macbook Pros have been launched with i5 processors and 2ce the processing and graphics capabilities but a little less battery life.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2011, 03:21   #395
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Connecting MBP to HDTV WIRELESSLY

Delete------------------

Last edited by khanak : 25th February 2011 at 03:27.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 01:59   #396
BHPian

So after almost 4 years the nvidia card on my MacBook pro has failed :(, and possibly my logic board as well because it's not booting into the OS. Looks like I have a date with the apple repair center here tomorrow.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 02:05   #397
BHPian

I'm a PC guy thinking of moving over to mac. I intend to buy it from the US because of the lower prices there but have yet to find some one to bring it here.

I'm confused between the 15" and 13". I don't need the graphics but I'm not sure if the smaller display might bug me.. is there anyone here who've used both?

If i go for the 13" perhaps i might buy it from india itself. Are apple prices negotiable over the phone like dell or is it fixed? what kind of discounts are available other than student.

Also would there be a problem if i bought the apple care from the US and applied it on my mbp in india? i'll be buying apple care only next year after using the mbp here for a year..

thanks in advance ! =)

Last edited by di1in : 28th February 2011 at 02:07.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 13:10   #398
Team-BHP Support

Apple prices are not negotiable. Though you can avail student discounts, if can show that you are buying it for a student.

If you are too much into gaming/graphics kind of items, 13' MBP is very good. Yes definitely buying in US is still cheaper by 8-10K.
But yes there is a hassle of someone carrying it for you.
Old 28th February 2011, 19:45   #399
BHPian

thanks amp,,

what about apple care? can i buy it from amazon in the us and apply it in india?
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 20:28   #400
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
thanks amp,,

what about apple care? can i buy it from amazon in the us and apply it in india?
Apple care pricing is the same I guess. Its a three year plan. But you dont have to buy when you buy your MAC, because you get a 1 year warranty when you purchase. You can wait for a year.

But be careful that you need to buy this BEFORE that one year gets over. Else you will not be able to purchase the warranty.

Its really worth purchasing the Apple care plan.
Old 8th March 2011, 10:02   #401
Team-BHP Support

Cool And i got the all new MacBook Pro! Finally!!!

It's been years since am drooling over macs, had pacified myself with the phone OS till now. After 2 failed attempts to procure one from US (both times the buying/shipping agents bought something else from Apple, for themselves!), i was 3rd time lucky! My brother had a business trip to US last week and that is when i read about the New MBP launch, and finally the i series processors were out for 13 inch!!

I am not a fan of big laptops coz they become cumbersome while i travel. So always preferred the smallest ie the 13 inch. My budget was always touch and go and hence never pursued the purchase in India.

So i emailed my brother and prompt comes the reply, he is fully swamped with his scheduled meetings and will "try to" pick one over the weekend. Fingers crossed and Sunday night i get another email that he has picked up the MBP.

Today early morning he landed in BLR and i became the proud owner of a MBP 13inch. The base model with no upgrades. Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 13-inch model.

Have done the set up and software updates, now to install few software i need, transfer stuff from my old Vaio and buy an extended warranty. Any pointers for the latter?

No i dont have the exact cost yet, since bro was asleep when i left for work. It should be 1199$ + Tax if applicable. He had removed the machine from the pack and put it in his laptop bag so no hazel of customs, i hope. But yes carried the pack etc in his check in baggage. So i have the complete kit intact. Box has indeed become smaller as published by apple, for environment sake.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 10:41   #402
BHPian

Just a query - maybe wierd too!

Wifey is on her way to Abu Dhabi in May holidaying.

Am contemplating buying the MBP from there - however just two days back she mentioned why do you want to buy the Mac? Why not buy the iPAD instead?

It does the same things like a Lappie also easier to carry and way cheaper too! Since the basic use is going to be as a machine - gaming etc., as my son is a gaming freak!

Also the mac seems to be way costly and therefore the *** could also be as steep thereafter (due to rough usage)

Anyways do update with your comments

Cheers
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 10:46   #403

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

If you want the MAC for gmaing applications, I suggest you buy something from alienware instead of the mac. Getting good games for the mac is a right royal pain. on the other hand though, once you go MAc, you never go back.
AUTOART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 10:55   #404
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: And i got the all new MacBook Pro! Finally!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Today early morning he landed in BLR and i became the proud owner of a MBP 13inch. The base model with no upgrades. Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 13-inch model.

Have done the set up and software updates, now to install few software i need, transfer stuff from my old Vaio and buy an extended warranty. Any pointers for the latter?
Congrats! Apple Care plan is standard, but you dont have to buy it immediately, as the laptop purchase covers one year warranty. But the the 3 year care plan that you would buy is from the starting year and not 3 years after the one year completion laptop.

So you have time till one year. But be careful to purchase it before that one year for sure. Even if its a day lapsed beyond that one year, you wont be able to buy the warranty as Apple wont cover it. May be in the 10th or 11th month after the purchase you can walk in to Apple showroom and purchase one.

Congrats once again.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:08   #405
BHPian

Jaggu Bhai,

Are you facing any Airport wifi detecting problem ?
Last week I bought one from US MBP 15" .
- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   Reply With Quote