Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th March 2011, 12:48   #406
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Congrats! Apple Care plan is standard, but you dont have to buy it immediately, as the laptop purchase covers one year warranty.
=====
May be in the 10th or 11th month after the purchase you can walk in to Apple showroom and purchase one.

Congrats once again.
Thank's i think i will buy one soon, i don't want to forget this later on. Happens quite often, especially since warranty cover is from day of purchase of the machine. And i thought standard cover for 1 year was a limited one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Are you facing any Airport wifi detecting problem ?
You bought the new MBP launched? I did not face any issues so far, connected to 2 separate wifi's and used for about 3 hours in the morning.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 14:58   #407
Team-BHP Support

Wow i initially thought it would be a nightmare to move all my stuff including iTunes thingies from Win to Mac. But it turned out to be quite easy.

Now next question from my side, is there any app which will let you play files in wmv wma format etc which are win biased in Mac? Your recommendations please.
Old 9th March 2011, 15:18   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now next question from my side, is there any app which will let you play files in wmv wma format etc which are win biased in Mac? Your recommendations please.
There is VLC for Mac. You tried that?
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 15:41   #409
Team-BHP Support

Nope, I have got only an hour or os of time to use the machine after transfer etc. But thanks will try it out.

Any other useful software for general use? Is there open office for mac, till I buy msoffice pack.
Old 9th March 2011, 16:39   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
There is VLC for Mac. You tried that?
I moved from VLC to Movist sometime back and have never looked back. The video rendering is better, audio is better and you get more customizations for the subtitles. Controls are easy and is very very light. Give it a try.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:06   #411
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I moved from VLC to Movist sometime back and have never looked back. The video rendering is better, audio is better and you get more customizations for the subtitles. Controls are easy and is very very light. Give it a try.
Tried it and loved it, works well for my needs so much that i did not bother to try VLC player. Also installed open office to take care of my MSoffice needs till i get the real stuff. So far so good.

I was wondering why the mail client was turning around non-stop? the realized that by default, it saves a copy of emails in the machine for offline use. Though it uses IMAP configuration. Changed the same and let got some 4gig's of download

How many of you use the native mail app?
Old 10th March 2011, 12:08   #412
BHPian

^ I do.. I quite like it.
Rarely do i bother accessing teh webmail!
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 13:27   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I used to use it but stopped long time back once Gmail was out. It was easier to dump my mails in the cloud rather than store it in my disk.

If possible get some laptop coolers. Macs do get hot quite easilly.

Roxio Toast is the software i use for burning disc. There is nothing as good as this burner.

Few more applications that i use

- Roxio Toast
- VLC
- iChat for Gtalk
- Open office
- Mac the ripper(I hope i named it right)

Others are already available in the OS.

I am not a big fan of paying huge amount for softwares. So mac OS was very sufficient to take care of my needs. Have a windows laptop if at all i need something different.

I use mac purely for web browsing, music, Video editing andwatching movies
Old 10th March 2011, 20:49   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I used to use it for my work mail with iCal for sometime. This combo has only one problem that when you accept/reject a calendar even, it will always send a notification. Just because of this, I moved to Thunderbird + Lightning + Davmail for email.

Other essential software I'd recommend (in no particular order) -
  • Adium - for all purpose chatting, supports everything on earth
  • AppCleaner - You might have noticed that there is no uninstall in Mac. You just remove the .app file and you are good. But there might be some more files lying around in your home directory which AppCleaner finds and deletes.
  • iState Menus - Gives you all kinds of information about the Mac in top bar. Try to find version 2, which is Free.
  • Transmission - for torrent downloads. This is my favorite. The lightest and quickest torrent client.
  • Wine - to run windows applications. Some work some don't.
Enjoy worry free browsing from now on. That's the best thing I like about Mac.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 21:30   #415
Team-BHP Support

Thanks its super useful ^^^ I will definitely require AppCleaner coz i do all sorts of experiments iState let me go check, sounds interesting. Torrents i don't do, but Wine definitely like.
Old 11th March 2011, 05:55   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
^ I do.. I quite like it.
Rarely do i bother accessing teh webmail!
Me too! The only problem I have with it is that emails come to my phone before they come to my Computer which is a bit annoying. I also have the GMail Notifier installed which is good too.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 11:50   #417
BHPian

Dear all.. I have a fantasy for Apple and so first bought the iPod touch and later the iPhone 3gs. I did have a desktop, but left it in my dads place and now use my office lappy for home use. No wonder I myself use the allpy and iPhone for browsing @ home and my wife uses my iPod touch for herself.

Now, its a scream when using the iPod and iPhone for browsing. So, thinking of buying a MBPro or MBAir

Went to apple store and had my hands on the Air and Pro (13" and 15")
I am ruling out Air since it doesnt have a DVD drive and I have lots of movie CD/DVD which I cannot use. And shedding huge amount for a Air with no CD/Drive makes me think, Am I a fool!!!

So, now the only things I have in mind is the MBP. But which size to go for? 13" or 15".
My office lappy is 15" and works great, but carrying it, I need extra strength on my shoulder.

My main use would be movies, some photo editing using PS and CDR, browsing. No gaming, as I have already got an approval for my PS3.

And where should I buy them? In Apple store, there is an EMI option if I have HDFC CC and I do have. But no discounts or freebies.

When I enquired in Croma, they do have the EMI option and also giving the iWork free of cost.

Is buying a MBP in Croma advisable??? Which size best suits me?

Cheers
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 08:07   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My main use would be movies, some photo editing using PS and CDR, browsing. No gaming, as I have already got an approval for my PS3.
Ever thought about the Sony X series which costs half the MBP yet is one of the lightest laptop that. I have the x series and a mac(powerbook). Unless we need to use the mac, we end up using the X series during travel as well as anything else.

If you are keen on Mac go with a place that will give you a good deal.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:14   #419
BHPian

Thanks VW2010, but I would stick with a MAC.

And what about the size, 13" or 15" ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 11:28   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks VW2010, but I would stick with a MAC.

And what about the size, 13" or 15" ?
A 13" should be good enough unless you have a fancy for big screens. The 13" will have a better battery life and also lighter and easier to carry around. If the Macbook is going to be used purely at home, a 15" could be considered.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote