Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st March 2011, 16:54   #436
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hello all,
Long time Apple fan and Mac user here. My first Mac was a PowerBook 5300 running System 7. Then jumped to a G3 PowerBook (Pismo).
Then a G4 PowerBook.
Bought a Mac Mini for the family when it was released initially (and it now needs an upgrade!)
Currently using a MacBook Pro 15" (late 2006 model). Probably gonna wait until next year for the revamped form factor MBPs
Aside from Macs I've also been using iPods, iPhone and now iPad since day one (of their release). So I'd be more than happy to answer any queries or questions anyone might have.

Anywhoo, speaking of software, I don't see much mention of the Mac App store in this thread (sorry if it's been mentioned cause I haven't got a chance to go thru all 25 pages of this thread). I think it's one of the best things to happen. Ever.

For all your digital video ripping/conversion and processing needs I'd suggest Handbrake (or Miro Video Converter, but I prefer Handbrake).
For playing video files of various formats from the world of windows and such try MPlayerX (available on the MacApp store).
For all your messaging needs there's Trillian.
For any music buffs that like to mix their music or play DJ at your best friends party there's Mixxx or VirtualDJ (i prefer Mixx)(both are free on the MAS).
Aside from this there's the App store for the iPhone and iPad, which has some mad apps and games, if anyone is up for discussing those too.
That's all for now I guess.

Cheers!
Macfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 04:19   #437
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Guys, the macbook pro being offered at the special price turned out to be the store demo units. Is it Ok to get one. I have seen the book it is a 15" display, core i5, 2.43 GHz, 320Gb, 4Gb with a dedicated NIVIDIA graphics card with 256Mb RAM etc and it looks absolutely new, scratch less front, back and the palmrest etc but has been on display for 5 months. Does this mean an early battery replacement as it would have seen quite a few charge and recharge cycles during the time it was on display. The price being offered is 80K was 1.09L originally. The new 15" coming in with i7 quad core chip will be 1.04L.

Let me have your views whether it is OK to go for this at the offered price or should go for a new one only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I have been offered the outgoing models of the Macbook Pro at a good discount. Apart from usual MS office, it will primarily be used to play graphic intensive games such as Halo.

For this is the graphics card of the 13" machine good enough or should I opt for the much heavier 15" with the dedicated video card.

Do advise asap as I have to necessarily pick one today before the stocks vanish.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 11:50   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, the macbook pro being offered at the special price turned out to be the store demo units. Is it Ok to get one. I have seen the book it is a 15" display, core i5, 2.43 GHz, 320Gb, 4Gb with a dedicated NIVIDIA graphics card with 256Mb RAM etc and it looks absolutely new, scratch less front, back and the palmrest etc but has been on display for 5 months. Does this mean an early battery replacement as it would have seen quite a few charge and recharge cycles during the time it was on display. The price being offered is 80K was 1.09L originally. The new 15" coming in with i7 quad core chip will be 1.04L.

Let me have your views whether it is OK to go for this at the offered price or should go for a new one only.
Are the warranty terms the same as that of buying a new piece? If warranty terms dont change, go for it. If the terms of warranty are different, stay away.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 01:15   #439
Senior - BHPian

@Red Liner

Yes the warranty is the same as that for a new machine. It starts from the day of invoicing the machine to the purchaser. Checked the number of charge cycles on the display machine and it stands at 49. Per the apple guy at the store on an average mac batteries see a charge count of approx 1000 before they need to be replaced. That translates to an unbelievable life span of 5 ~6 years. My Dell latitude has gone through two batteries in three years.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:04   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Red Liner

Yes the warranty is the same as that for a new machine. It starts from the day of invoicing the machine to the purchaser. Checked the number of charge cycles on the display machine and it stands at 49. Per the apple guy at the store on an average mac batteries see a charge count of approx 1000 before they need to be replaced. That translates to an unbelievable life span of 5 ~6 years. My Dell latitude has gone through two batteries in three years.
What are you doing sitting here and writing replies? Run to the damn store and bring that baby home!
Old 26th March 2011, 14:20   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
What are you doing sitting here and writing replies? Run to the damn store and bring that baby home!
Pant..pant..huff puff and what not...thanks Red Liner went and booked it. The machine has been taken off the display, cleaned, packed and tucked away. Will be able to pick up once the cheque is cleared. In addition I have worked out an arrangement wherein if I have second thoughts I can pay the difference and opt for the new model.

They were putting the new machines on display. Main differences are
i7 quad core chip in new model versus i5 dual core in the previous version of 15"
Thunderbolt port which supports 10X data transfer speeds versus the USB. Upto 6 devices can be daisy chained using this port.
500 Gb HDD vs 320 Gb in old one.
ATI Radeon 256 Mb GDDR5 Video card vs NIVIDIA 256 Mb GDDR3 Video Card in the old model
Optional anti glare screen at no extra cost versus Glossy reflective screen in the old model

From the above list the ones that might matter in the long run are the Thunderbolt and the optional anti glare screen.
This is a very open ended query but what do you think, will be the impact of having vs not having the thunderbolt say an year down the line.

Last edited by khoj : 26th March 2011 at 14:22.
Old 26th March 2011, 16:17   #442
BHPian

And how much is the difference in cost?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 01:04   #443
Senior - BHPian

@dre@ms
The difference is INR 24K.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:09   #444
BHPian

I would suggest pay the difference and opt for the newer model.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:43   #445
BHPian

I started computing on a Mac, but migrated to Windows early (circa 1996).

Since then, always been a Windows PC user.

Until this MBP - 2011 model, i5 2.3Ghz.

Still getting used to the interface, it's not as intuitive as I like and hasn't changed significantly over the last 15 years IIRC.

What I like:

Battery life
Battery life
Light weight
Runs cool
Battery life
Multi-touch
Small touches like the adapter with cord management and magnetic clips

What I don't:

Two buttons on the pad - sorely needed
Glossy screen. Like a mirror and difficult to use in bright ambient light like in offices.
Just two USB ports. Seriously, it's 2011....
Everything is on the other side or difficult to find - of course after a first-time setup it's a bit better. Thankfully most of my work is browser-based.
The 'Apple' key replaces the 'Alt' key for some functions and the 'Ctrl' key for other functions. Tough to get a hang of.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 14:12   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two buttons on the pad - sorely needed
The track pad and the way it is designed to understand a single click and right click is just an art by itself The mac pad is the best to happen in a Laptop.
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 15:01   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The track pad and the way it is designed to understand a single click and right click is just an art by itself The mac pad is the best to happen in a Laptop.
I agree. I have the 2008 version of the Macbook, which comes with a regular button on the track-pad which I have now stopped using. I use the two finger to scroll and a tap on the trackpad itself to click.
Old 30th March 2011, 14:21   #448
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Red Liner and dre@ms for your help. Got the new 13" macbookpro and am tying to figure it out in terms of the keyboard commands/shortcuts. However the slightly smaller than my latitude screen (13.3' vs 14.1") is making me wonder whether the 15" was worth the extra moolah. Having said that the display is way ahead of anything I have ever used. The track pad is another thing that will take some time getting used to, however my existing bluetooth mouse works just fine.
Old 31st March 2011, 10:37   #449
Team-BHP Support

Congratz!

Commands are pretty straight forward, most of the places replace Ctrl key with Apple key Believe me after using the keypad gestures and mouse, unless am in some complicated excel i dont feel the need to touch the regular mouse ever.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 11:57   #450
BHPian

@khoj

Congrats pal..how much did you shell out? Waiting for a small review from your end.

Till then, Enjoy the Mac experience.