Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 31st March 2011, 15:42   #451
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Thank you Red Liner and dre@ms for your help. Got the new 13" macbookpro and am tying to figure it out in terms of the keyboard commands/shortcuts. However the slightly smaller than my latitude screen (13.3' vs 14.1") is making me wonder whether the 15" was worth the extra moolah. Having said that the display is way ahead of anything I have ever used. The track pad is another thing that will take some time getting used to, however my existing bluetooth mouse works just fine.
Khoj, congratulations and you'll get used to the screen pretty soon. You'll actually appreciate the size when you start lugging it around from one room to the other.

I think I'll wait for another year for the Air to come better equipped at a lower sticker price.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 19:10   #452
Team-BHP Support

Sticker price wont come down, better equipped it might become and don't expect the plug and play memory. Its due to the compact size of the MBA
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 19:43   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sticker price wont come down, better equipped it might become and don't expect the plug and play memory. Its due to the compact size of the MBA
Jaks, what do you mean plug & play memory? I just want the flash drive, its awesome - no more HDD crashing and the air will run so much cooler. If the 500gig flash drive version's price drops, its a nice buy. And yeah, an additional USB port will also be cool. I hardly use the CD drive so I dont need it.

Even at the same price, if they launch better processors next year, it will be superb. Right now it comes with dual core, but they should provide atleast an "i3 compete" by next year.
Old 31st March 2011, 23:32   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Khoj, congratulations and you'll get used to the screen pretty soon. You'll actually appreciate the size when you start lugging it around from one room to the other.

I think I'll wait for another year for the Air to come better equipped at a lower sticker price.
Ok guys this is my first official post from the new Macbook Pro15". Yes it is 15" and while it is a long story how I went from the 13" to 15", let us just say that there is another friend who has also bitten the apple and is currently the proud owner of the 13". Yes this one is indeed bulkier to carry around but I am so much more comfortable with the large fuller view and at 2.5 kgs it is still lighter than my existing 3.0+ kg latitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
@khoj

Congrats pal..how much did you shell out? Waiting for a small review from your end.

Till then, Enjoy the Mac experience.
Paid 83K initially and then another 22K for the 15". The 13" in between was 70K. Let me use this for some time and I will definitely post the noob's review.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 11:12   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Jaks, what do you mean plug & play memory?
=====
Even at the same price, if they launch better processors next year, it will be superb. Right now it comes with dual core, but they should provide atleast an "i3 compete" by next year.
Venky i meant the ram, it will be soldered. Flash disc hopefully prices will come down, but then again that is an option even with MBP. Remove HDD and plug Flash memory? right?

Processor yes i3 would definitely be better, but i felt core duo + MBA = i3 + MBP. That is the difference flash disc makes. But screen wise i felt MBP one step better to MBA.

And heat am not sure, MBA also was on the hotter side, i think its more due to the design of the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Ok guys this is my first official post from the new Macbook Pro15".
========
Yes this one is indeed bulkier to carry around but I am so much more comfortable with the large fuller view and at 2.5 kgs it is still lighter than my existing 3.0+ kg latitude.
Congratz!! but for me 13" feels bulky coz i was used to ultra light Vaio 11". But performance is SUPERB and worth the bulk.
Old 1st April 2011, 16:36   #456
BHPian

To quote my experience with MAC, bought my 13" Mac Book in 2008. Came home from the showroom, just to find out that the battery is dead. Got it replaced under warranty though. Then after 2 years the battery failed again. It was giving some 4 -5 hour battery life, but it failed all of a sudden. This time I had to pay for the battery. Later on the charger failed, that was 3-4 months ago.

Apart from the battery failures, the MAC is a wonderful machine. I still believe there must have been a bad batch of battery. Now looking forward to buy the IPad 2. Already lined up my buddy for it.
ANUJ GEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 17:30   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Venky i meant the ram, it will be soldered. Flash disc hopefully prices will come down, but then again that is an option even with MBP. Remove HDD and plug Flash memory? right?

Processor yes i3 would definitely be better, but i felt core duo + MBA = i3 + MBP. That is the difference flash disc makes. But screen wise i felt MBP one step better to MBA.

And heat am not sure, MBA also was on the hotter side, i think its more due to the design of the fan.
The MBP with flash memory is crazy expensive man.

The ram is soldered on...but I don't think I will need more than 4gigs RAM (optional apart from 2GB standard) because I never play games and all my applications are internet/browser based. And I just use Word and excel outside of browsing. Right now, am managing pretty darn well with a regular macbook with dual core and 3 GB Ram.

So an i3 with 4 GB ram and flash disc should be super fast.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:12   #458
Team-BHP Support

Am not sure MBA would come with 4GIG memory even if they update the chip, atleast with next release chances seems to be really slim. One of the reason why i decided to go with MBP and enough of this wait!
Old 6th April 2011, 10:24   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure MBA would come with 4GIG memory even if they update the chip, atleast with next release chances seems to be really slim. One of the reason why i decided to go with MBP and enough of this wait!
Jakku, the AIR comes with a 4 GIG optional upgrade from the standard 2 gig costing a couple hundred dollars more. The store is being updated now or else I would have posted you a link.

All I want is an i3 chip instead of the dual core. This "should" happen next year for sure.

I can wait...just like am waiting for the elusive jimny from maruti :-(
Old 7th April 2011, 03:26   #460
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Finally moved all my data from the Latitude to the Macbook Pro. I was forced to load windows 7 too as my email accounts on the 'vsnl' server could not be configured on either the mail or the Outlook in MS office for mac suite. Even the gmail account loaded in the Outlook permanently displays an 'unexpected error' message in the botton right hand corner. So during the day I work in windows and evening it is Mac time. Not an ideal situation. Does anyone here have vsnl server mail accounts configured on their Mac??

Another thing that I notice is that the screen flashes momentarily. It is just for a nano second but it does dim out and then comes back on, is this normal? I believe it is also accompanied by a ping but I cannot say for sure as it happens so fast. Anyone experience this? Is it normal for these machines? I did speak to the apple guy at the Croma store about this and he said he has never observed anything like this. Is there something wrong here?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 19:35   #461
BHPian

Do you mean during regular use? And dim as in blackout, or just reduced brightness?

If it does so during loading of windows (blacksout completely just for a bit), its normal. And im sure your not talking about the dimming feature used for power saving in macs (dims the brightness before the screen goes completely off when the computer is idle & not being used).

But if the dimming happens during regular use, there is probably something wrong.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 20:33   #462
BHPian

'Automatically adjust brightness....' option in Display under System Preferences would do it.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 10:49   #463
Senior - BHPian

Guys, what's the best place to buy a MacBook in Bangalore? And roughly how much would it cost?
Will it be good enough to run Photoshop?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2011, 12:04   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys, what's the best place to buy a MacBook in Bangalore? And roughly how much would it cost?
Will it be good enough to run Photoshop?
Go to Forum mall or any of the authorized Apple stores. Dont get it anywhere else.

Get the apple care protection when you buy the laptop.

For photoshop, CS3/4 etc, you will need to get the Macbook Pro with about 6GB ram so you can do your design work effectively (if you're a professional designer).
Old 8th April 2011, 12:11   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Go to Forum mall or any of the authorized Apple stores. Dont get it anywhere else.

Get the apple care protection when you buy the laptop.

For photoshop, CS3/4 etc, you will need to get the Macbook Pro with about 6GB ram so you can do your design work effectively (if you're a professional designer).
Thanks RL!
Well, I am certainly no professional and I will probably never be one. I guess I fall more into the hobbyist category. My current laptop just heats up excessively and eventually shuts down after processing 6-7 images. And just one HDR is enough to fry it up.
So, you still think I need the Pro?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote