Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th May 2011, 23:57   #481
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I was and is a Vaio user also since 6 years, infact office there are many others also. If you stick to stock software it will hold, moment you try to install something new to Sony environment and things will go wrong. Add to that the win operating system creep which sets in couple of months and updates later.

But yes one of the most compact laptops they are (Vaio). Even more compact and lighter than MBP.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 02:30   #482
BHPian

Default Re: Dilemma - MacBook Air 11" or Alienware M11x

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Question to all MAC'ers here:
I am in dilemma between the Air 11" or Alienware M11x.
Help Plz!!
Hey Abhinav. Let me answer your question in a nutshell.
You have already listed your basic usage & its exactly what Macs are best at
Further, if you want a computer that requires no regular maintainance like defragging, problem solving, errors, etc. but do want insane bootup, shutdown, sleep & wake times, troublefree usage without any slowing down over a period of time, buy a mac, period.

No offence to the Vaio & Dell owners, but apart from the beautifully designed hardware, the software is what gets you hooked. Take the plunge & you wont regret it. And yes, dont forget to get applecare From ebay or otherwise.

Last edited by Xehaust : 27th May 2011 at 02:31.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 07:08   #483
Team-BHP Support

@Abhinav,

I dont think there is anything in Windows which cannot be done on a MAC. So I would say go for a MAC. But as others have said you need to decide between Air and 13.3 MBP.

If a 11' form factor is a must. then you need to endure with what is not available in Air. But I think you can extend the SSD capacity to 128. You dont wan to buy a 13' Air. Because instead you may take the 13' MBP itself.

My take: 13' MBP is perfect.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 11:57   #484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Regarding the Alienware No offence to the users but the design is not very appealing and looks kind of very kiddish may suit to college going kids , as mentioned by you After Sales is horrible and no Customer "care" at all .
Best of luck with your purchase and let us know what you end up buying.
+1 to the kiddish part. And after sales is seriously lacking with Dell. Might go in for the Air. Will keep you all posted. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Further, if you want a computer that requires no regular maintainance like defragging, problem solving, errors, etc. but do want insane bootup, shutdown, sleep & wake times, troublefree usage without any slowing down over a period of time, buy a mac, period.
The points quoted above are exactly what I am looking for and hence was considering going the Mac way. Thanks for your response. Helps in tilting towards the Mac more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If a 11' form factor is a must. then you need to endure with what is not available in Air. But I think you can extend the SSD capacity to 128. You dont wan to buy a 13' Air. Because instead you may take the 13' MBP itself.

My take: 13' MBP is perfect.
13" Air does not make sense definitely. The 11" is mainly because of the portability it offers and hence looking at the 11" form factor only. And the thing missing with the 11" Air which matters to me is the memory card slot. Which again should be an easy fix with a USB to MMC converter or something which I am sure will be available. Hope that works without issues on the Mac OS.

Only thing which made me not buy it on my trip to UK was it felt very fragile and was doubtful if it can withstand all the moving about etc. And also i was in a hurry to catch a flight and hence was a wrong time to get a feel of the Mac. Will have to check it out this weekend or the next.
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 18:32   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Only thing which made me not buy it on my trip to UK was it felt very fragile and was doubtful if it can withstand all the moving about etc. And also i was in a hurry to catch a flight and hence was a wrong time to get a feel of the Mac. Will have to check it out this weekend or the next.
My take on this is a bit different. You may not even find it logical!

If its a pleasure trip where you like to take your Mac-Book-Air all the time, I would not even consider that. More than fragility, theft is a bigger concern! I would like a power horse at home, while I take around cheaper netbooks for travels !
Old 30th May 2011, 15:53   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If its a pleasure trip where you like to take your Mac-Book-Air all the time, I would not even consider that. More than fragility, theft is a bigger concern! I would like a power horse at home, while I take around cheaper netbooks for travels !
Totally agree on the theft part. The Mac will be purely for work purpose and hence the usage will be limited to docs, ppt and excels. The movies and videos will be on the side only. And it will only see intra city and intra state travels only. I have almost decided on it. I will be going one of these days to get a feel of the mac and then take the plunge.
Old 30th May 2011, 16:31   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

You'll be surprised how durable macs are and how clumsy i am. I've dropped my macs quite a few times without any damage. Once my powerbook fell down three feet from the table (someone tripped over the cord) and all it got was a small dent in the corner.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 16:40   #488
BHPian

Thank god all the versions later got the magnetic power cord
No more damage due to tripping over the cord.
Old 30th May 2011, 17:36   #489
Team-BHP Support

One Mac at home all the time is a good thing. Just because personal data (snaps, video, moments, docs etc) are well back-uped (at least less attack over the net).

Add to it, if one is photo buff (DSLR) even better to have a MAC.

Last but not least, the out of the box/ready to use functionality is to die for.

EDIT: Not to mention the magnetic chord as @Xehaust said.

Last edited by ampere : 30th May 2011 at 17:38.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:16   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last but not least, the out of the box/ready to use functionality is to die for.
This is another thing which tilts the decision in favor of the Mac.

So finally decided to take the plunge with the Mac Air 11. Have informed my sis-in-law in US. She will be bringing it down when she comes to India in a months time.

Thanks to all who have helped with the decision making. Will be coming back once i acquire the Mac for queries. Hope there wont be many but a new OS and new way of working are bound to spring up some surprises. Just hoping they are all pleasant ones!!
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:20   #491
Team-BHP Support

Apple's Cloud offering:

Apple takes control of iCloud.com domain - Computerworld
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:46   #492
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the new mac air that's going to be launched with all new config's this summer? There's been a lot of noise about the sandy bridge processors (i series) making an entry into the air's.

Anyone got any more information than what's typically dished out on cnet and the likes?
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 20:26   #493
Senior - BHPian

I've an iMac at home and the specs are as below:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.7.0

The version of Safari is 5.0.5 and I've an issue with it. It doesn't support a few of my sites saying requires IE 8 and above. What do I do?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 02:53   #494
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure though.
But I can venture a guess that it may be flash versus HTML5 battle.
Hence Safari may not be able to open site in question.
Old 4th June 2011, 16:24   #495
BHPian

Try installing firefox