Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th June 2011, 17:32   #511
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
got my first mac in 2004 december- and became a mac junkie! sadly it packed up in 2010 and was forced to move to windows. The initial days W7 was frustrating to say the lest - once you get used to the swipes and shortcuts on the mac.
Finally - yday - bought myself the Macbook Pro 13". i7 4gb and 500gb version! so far.. LOVING IT!
Hurrah!
Got used to chrome on the PC - might install that here.. but beyond that -dont see any other apps coming through. oh yes- twhirl!
I too picked up my first Mac in 2004 (iBook G4) and have become an Apple (actually, Steve Jobs') fan ever since. I own an iBook, an iPad, and couple of iPods. I wanted to pick up an iMac too but it was coming out to be too costly for my needs.

@Madan
Was it an iBook that died? My iBook too died in 2009. Took it to the Apple store here and they quoted 32k for changing the logic board . I just kept it around since I couldn't bring myself up to throw it. Since it was not working anyway, one day I decide to take the matter in my own hands, literally. Searched on the internet and found a potential fix, grabbed a screwdriver set and opened up the iBook. The solution was to simply apply a bit of pressure on one of the ICs. Put a piece of plastic on that IC, screwed up the iBook back and it's been working great ever since.
bansal98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:38   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
You can use WineBottler to install Windows applications on Mac. I haven't tried to install IE8, but whatever I have has worked perfectly.
installed winbottler - with hopes of running Tally - however there are only certain packages with work with wine (such as ms office etc)
so that was a #Fail!

but installed visio and its working beautifully- so now have to keep accounts on a separate machine (W7).

a friend suggeting running VMWare virtual machine - which costs about $250 - might pick it up only if really critical.
madan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:45   #513
BHPian

Quote:
a friend suggeting running VMWare virtual machine - which costs about $250 - might pick it up only if really critical.
If you don't plan to run high-end 3D games, just use VirtualBox. As good as VMWare but FREE.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:50   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
If you don't plan to run high-end 3D games, just use VirtualBox. As good as VMWare but FREE.
already running virtual box - but its pretty crappy to the point where it does not support USB storage. so that kinda bums me out. It ran beautifully on the windows platform- installed virtual box for 3 flavours of ubuntu and kubuntu and bodhi. ran well.

On the mac platform virtual box is running a different mixture. lets see.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:10   #515
BHPian

Quote:
VMWare or Parallels only cost about $80 for Mac, sometimes even less if you buy it as part of a bundle like MacHeist etc. Not sure if you are referring to the same thing.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:12   #516
BHPian

Why dont youll just use Bootcamp?
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 18:18   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Why dont youll just use Bootcamp?
You can not use both Mac OS and Windows at the same time with Bootcamp as you'd have to reboot into Windows. With VMWare or Parallels, you can run Mac OS and Windows side by side. Running virtual machines is a better solution as there is only minimal performance penalty but much greater flexibility. The only limitation is the amount of RAM though. If you have less than 4GB, the virtual machines may not be so fast.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:28   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
..The only limitation is the amount of RAM though. If you have less than 4GB, the virtual machines may not be so fast.
thats where i am hoping the Core i7 will score!
Old 29th June 2011, 18:35   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansal98 View Post
You can not use both Mac OS and Windows at the same time with Bootcamp as you'd have to reboot into Windows. With VMWare or Parallels, you can run Mac OS and Windows side by side. Running virtual machines is a better solution as there is only minimal performance penalty but much greater flexibility. The only limitation is the amount of RAM though. If you have less than 4GB, the virtual machines may not be so fast.
Well, i am not recommending it for people who want to use OSX programs & windows at the same time. Am recommending it for people who have sparse use for particular windows programs on rare occasions. Like the want to run Tally sometime.
As for the performance bit, you have listed the advantage yourself
With Bootcamp, you use your mac (cant believe im saying this, hehe) like a full-fledged windows box without any performance hit. It fully utilises your hardware. Further, you dont need big hardware specs either. Had a Macbook with 512MB of RAM dual booting windows xp & mac & it ran both beautifully.
Quote:
thats where i am hoping the Core i7 will score!
How is the processor going to make a difference to the lack of RAM

Last edited by Xehaust : 29th June 2011 at 18:37.
Xehaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 01:08   #520
Team-BHP Support

Default Lion OS physical CD at apple store

I had been to imagine store in Forum mall Koramangala. The guy there said physical CD's for Lion will be available next month, hopefully its true and good news for people stuck on slow internet or limited download limits. Can anyone else confirm?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 05:07   #521
BHPian

Apple has not confirmed Lion being available on physical media yet and by the looks of it they may not. The developer version of Lion is a 4 gig file. So plan on a lengthy download
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 07:56   #522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Apple has not confirmed Lion being available on physical media yet and by the looks of it they may not. The developer version of Lion is a 4 gig file. So plan on a lengthy download
The Lion might be released in a couple of days. It's not just about lengthy download but like any other major OS upgrades, it might just throw some surprises (unpleasant ones).

I'd very much appreciate if the early adopters of Lion could please post their experiences with the upgrade.
SushilBajpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 10:31   #523
Team-BHP Support

It would be around 3.87 GB is what i understand looking at gold master version that has been released. And it would be launched on 14th is what the info out there says.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 15:16   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushilBajpai View Post
The Lion might be released in a couple of days. It's not just about lengthy download but like any other major OS upgrades, it might just throw some surprises (unpleasant ones).

I'd very much appreciate if the early adopters of Lion could please post their experiences with the upgrade.
Agreed, I'm thinking of holding on the update till 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 is released
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 13:32   #525
BHPian

Gizmodo has put their hands down on Lion. Sad.

I am running the Snow Leopard in Virtualbox, just for iTunes 10.5 beta 3 and iOS 5 beta 3. Using Mac OS for the first time and it had impressed me a lot.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote