Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2011, 20:47   #541
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Upgraded to Lion on my iMac day before. Took 14 hrs to download and 30 minutes to install. Then updated iTunes for Lion.

iMac now uptodate. Mission control, Face Time & Launchpad, some cool new apps. Still exploring. Find a bit sluggish. My config is:

2.4Ghz Intel core 2 Duo
4 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB SATA Hdd

Any suggestions?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 22:07   #542
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 376
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Upgraded to Lion on my iMac day before. Took 14 hrs to download and 30 minutes to install. Then updated iTunes for Lion.

iMac now uptodate. Mission control, Face Time & Launchpad, some cool new apps. Still exploring. Find a bit sluggish. My config is:

2.4Ghz Intel core 2 Duo
4 Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
320 GB SATA Hdd

Any suggestions?
Suggestions for solving the sluggishness? AfaIk, Clean install might be your only hope. Don't forget to backup though!

Maybe it's because of the system. Versions and related functions might be tasking your older RAM?

Update: Lots of complaints here from people having similar config. Must be the RAM.

Last edited by di1in : 28th July 2011 at 22:13.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 11:41   #543
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 651 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Thanks di1in. Reading the posts on the Apple discussions' thread, it seems I'm not alone. Since I've reached the maximum RAM upgrade of 4GB, the other option seems to downgrade to Snow Leopard.

Or to get a new iMac with i5 or i7....

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Suggestions for solving the sluggishness? AfaIk, Clean install might be your only hope. Don't forget to backup though!

Maybe it's because of the system. Versions and related functions might be tasking your older RAM?

Update: Lots of complaints here from people having similar config. Must be the RAM.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:29   #544
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Just ordered the 11.6" Air with i7 processor and 256GB flash drive from US. Costs a bomb but should be worth it. This will be my 3rd mac. Currently have an old 12" Powerbook G4 and last generation iMac. The Powerbook is still serving me strong except that the battery has completely died and i can't upgrade it to more than Leopard OS.

The new AIR with these upgrades plus VGA adapter, DVD drive and APP is costing me a lac.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:47   #545
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 376
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Just ordered the 11.6" Air with i7 processor and 256GB flash drive from US. Costs a bomb but should be worth it. This will be my 3rd mac. Currently have an old 12" Powerbook G4 and last generation iMac. The Powerbook is still serving me strong except that the battery has completely died and i can't upgrade it to more than Leopard OS.

The new AIR with these upgrades plus VGA adapter, DVD drive and APP is costing me a lac.
How did you manage to get the bill that high with a us purchase? could you give me a breakdown..

anyone buying apple care from the us should consider the amazon apple store and save some money - it is cheaper there. And there's no tax in some states either so it could amount up to considerable savings.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 12:50   #546
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Just ordered the 11.6" Air with i7 processor and 256GB flash drive from US. Costs a bomb but should be worth it. This will be my 3rd mac. Currently have an old 12" Powerbook G4 and last generation iMac. The Powerbook is still serving me strong except that the battery has completely died and i can't upgrade it to more than Leopard OS.

The new AIR with these upgrades plus VGA adapter, DVD drive and APP is costing me a lac.
The top 13.3 inch store version costs 70k. How did you 11.6 whoop up to so much? The accessories?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 20:25   #547
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

$1200 base price + $150 for i7 + $300 for 256GB + $79 for drive + $249 for APP + $29 for VGA adapter + 7.5% tax + airport extreme.

EDIT: minus a $100 student discount too

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 29th July 2011 at 20:28. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 11:38   #548
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
$1200 base price + $150 for i7 + $300 for 256GB + $79 for drive + $249 for APP + $29 for VGA adapter + 7.5% tax + airport extreme.

EDIT: minus a $100 student discount too
7.5% tax? Which state did you buy it from? Can someone confirm if Texas has a tax slab on this stuff?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 12:02   #549
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Prices for new releases available on the India apple site.
Stock arrives August. Planning to upgrading basic firepower!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 01:59   #550
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon
Has anyone tried Tata Photon Plus dialer on the Lion yet?
Tried, doesn't work !
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:45   #551
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5

Tried, doesn't work !
Thanks Akki.
This is frustrating to say the least. Us Mac owners don't seem to get any love.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 20:09   #552
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 376
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Lion users who face battery troubles ought to try out gfxcardswitcher. This article relates how the Lion OS uses the discrete card rather than the integrated option continously. It seems it holds onto the card even when idle. I'm not sure if this is the same for the ATi cards but the fix worked for my 2010 mbp.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 11:14   #553
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,990
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Ardent request from a mac-guy. Does anyone here in Bangalore have the MS Office for Mac? Would appreciate any help possible - please!

The native office apps that come with the MAC are way too user friendly
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 11:44   #554
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,947
Thanked: 4,766 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner
Ardent request from a mac-guy. Does anyone here in Bangalore have the MS Office for Mac? Would appreciate any help possible - please!

The native office apps that come with the MAC are way too user friendly
I had sent a DVD to Jaggu. Ask him.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 12:32   #555
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,043
Thanked: 13,496 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I think my iMac should be able to handle Lion well enough, my config is as follows:

iMac 27-inch
2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
8GB RAM

However, I have a rEFIt based triple boot configuration. I am afraid whether the Lion upgrade will overwrite the MBR and trash my Windows and Linux partitions.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Ardent request from a mac-guy. Does anyone here in Bangalore have the MS Office for Mac? Would appreciate any help possible - please!
You want to use MS products on Apple? Sacrilege!
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks