Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2011, 12:34   #556
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

You want to use MS products on Apple? Sacrilege!

I tried my best to get through the office blended applications on the mac and it just wasn't working out. MS office is kinda like hardwired into me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I had sent a DVD to Jaggu. Ask him.
The guy's busy holding umbrella's and passing granny instructions in Palar. Will wait for him to potter back into town. Thanks again.

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th August 2011 at 12:36.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 13:31   #557
Senior - BHPian
 
DerAlte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,076
Thanked: 2,874 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon

Thanks Akki.
This is frustrating to say the least. Us Mac owners don't seem to get any love.
Search for an alternate driver based on the model number of the dongle.

I had a problem with my Reliance NC+ ZTE2732 - the Reliance driver was causing Snow Leopard to crash on my MBP. Searched around for the problem and found 2. Meanwhile I had upgraded to Lion so I tried one of them on Lion. Fingers crossed, so far so good!
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 10:07   #558
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

WooHoo
Got me a macbook pro 15" 2.2 Ghz
And am loving it. Few things that have blown me away so far:
1. The way the power cord gets sucked into the socket
2. Drag and drop for app install!
3. Click anywhere mousepad.

One thing that i am yet to get used to:
1. No double click to maximize Safari!

Next step is to get the free upgrade to Lion OS.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 11:47   #559
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Wasn't this the norm earlier too? I always did this and still do in my iMac 2007. After downloading an application, simply dragging it to the Apps folder did the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
WooHoo
Got me a macbook pro 15" 2.2 Ghz
And am loving it. Few things that have blown me away so far:
1. The way the power cord gets sucked into the socket
2. Drag and drop for app install!
3. Click anywhere mousepad.

One thing that i am yet to get used to:
1. No double click to maximize Safari!

Next step is to get the free upgrade to Lion OS.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 12:33   #560
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
WooHoo
Got me a macbook pro 15" 2.2 Ghz

One thing that i am yet to get used to:
1. No double click to maximize Safari!

Next step is to get the free upgrade to Lion OS.
Welcome to Mac club. Safari's maximize button hasn't worked for me EVER (I don't use Safari though). Download FireFox or Chrome as per your preference. Both are faster and better than Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Wasn't this the norm earlier too? I always did this and still do in my iMac 2007. After downloading an application, simply dragging it to the Apps folder did the job.
He is not comparing Lion with any older versions. He got a new Mac, so probably he is comparing Mac with Windowz.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 21:15   #561
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Welcome to Mac club. Safari's maximize button hasn't worked for me EVER (I don't use Safari though). Download FireFox or Chrome as per your preference. Both are faster and better than Safari.

He is not comparing Lion with any older versions. He got a new Mac, so probably he is comparing Mac with Windowz.
Exactomondo!

Well, i have downloaded chrome now. Hard to say "installed" when you dont double click and go through a bunch of ok-cancel boxes.

Anyway, now i have upgraded to Lion OS too, although i am yet to try it out.

I keep sliding two fingers on my office laptop (HP) to scroll
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 21:26   #562
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I keep sliding two fingers on my office laptop (HP) to scroll
Try this - two-finger-scroll - Two finger gestures for Synaptics TouchPads on Windows - Google Project Hosting or this - SYNAPTICS | Scrybe

You can have two finger scrolling on Windows based Laptops too.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 21:37   #563
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 2,954
Thanked: 1,590 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post

You can have two finger scrolling on Windows based Laptops too.
Interesting. But will the scrolling be as smooth as well?
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 21:49   #564
BHPian
 
topedgemonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 61
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I have an airport extreme base station which I use to access internet from my Macbook Pro which runs Snow Leopard.

One feature of the airport extreme is that I should be able to share my external HDD by plugging it into the USB port on the airport extreme device. I should be able to access it from my Macbook Pro sitting somewhere else within the house. However, this doesnt seem to work when I tried it the way they have mentioned on the apple website.

Has anyone here gotten this to work?
topedgemonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 22:11   #565
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 71
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by topedgemonk
I have an airport extreme base station which I use to access internet from my Macbook Pro which runs Snow Leopard.

One feature of the airport extreme is that I should be able to share my external HDD by plugging it into the USB port on the airport extreme device. I should be able to access it from my Macbook Pro sitting somewhere else within the house. However, this doesnt seem to work when I tried it the way they have mentioned on the apple website.

Has anyone here gotten this to work?
Yeap. I got it working. There is an option for disk sharing. Have you got that checked. Will send you a screenshot once I'm on the Mac.

Btw, the USB port on AE can support multiple devices via a powered USB hub. I got 3 HDDs and a printer connected to it.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 22:45   #566
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Interesting. But will the scrolling be as smooth as well?
I haven't tried it myself (I have been MS free for almost 4 years now ) so I can't comment on that, but have heard people using this to argue against Mac's two finger scrolling .
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 20:57   #567
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I'm floating right now...
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-20110820_203616_778.jpg  

Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:04   #568
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

There's been some ruckus going on online about the new air's coming with different SSD and screen display makes.

The SSD's come from either Toshiba or Samsung. The Samsung is significantly faster.
The Screens from from LG-Philips or Samsung. The Samsung is supposedly better to view at different tilt angles.

The ruckus is so bad that people who found they got the somewhat supposedly slower SSD rushed back within the 14 day exchange period to get another one with the Samsung SSD. Unfortunately, the SSD makes are not mentioned on the box, you have to open it up, set up LION and then go to the settings to check it out. Finding out what screen you have is even worse - it can only be done from Terminal.

I read all this and resigned myself into thinking that if I do get the slower SSD or the Philips screen, its really not a big deal.

But guess what - I got the Samsung SSD and Screen.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:31   #569
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 4,867 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There's been some ruckus going on online about the new air's coming with different SSD and screen display makes.

The SSD's come from either Toshiba or Samsung. The Samsung is significantly faster.
The Screens from from LG-Philips or Samsung. The Samsung is supposedly better to view at different tilt angles.

The ruckus is so bad that people who found they got the somewhat supposedly slower SSD rushed back within the 14 day exchange period to get another one with the Samsung SSD. Unfortunately, the SSD makes are not mentioned on the box, you have to open it up, set up LION and then go to the settings to check it out. Finding out what screen you have is even worse - it can only be done from Terminal.

I read all this and resigned myself into thinking that if I do get the slower SSD or the Philips screen, its really not a big deal.

But guess what - I got the Samsung SSD and Screen.
I just got my Air. Where do i check the SSD make. System Information doesn't mention any manufacturer.

Got a link to the ruckus article?
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:08   #570
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 971 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
I just got my Air. Where do i check the SSD make. System Information doesn't mention any manufacturer.

Got a link to the ruckus article?
Open up "About this Mac" -> "More Info" -> "System Report" -> "Hardware" -> "Serial-ATA": Check the Model field, if it starts with a TS you've got the slower Toshiba drive. SM is for Samsung. Mine reads: APPLE SSD SM256C

Google for the articles - tons of them around: macbook air check ssd make - Google Search
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:18.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks