Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th August 2011, 23:50   #601
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: MacBook air

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpayne View Post
Is anybody here using a relatively new macbook air? Do the new Mac book air's come with the mini display port? If not, how would I connect it to say a TV (via HDMI)?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
I answered your query on the mac thread.
The mini display also works out of the thunderbolt port.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 00:37   #602
BHPian

Default Re: MacBook air

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I answered your query on the mac thread.
The mini display also works out of the thunderbolt port.
Ah! That makes sense now. Thanks Ampere
majorpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 12:21   #603
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Just noticed this thread. I switched from Windows to the first generation Macbook Pro in 2006 and own a latest generation MBP as well. Love it, wouldn't trade it in for any other laptop in the world. Forget the good looks, it's just so damned easy to use.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 15:10   #604
BHPian

Smile Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Just wanted to share my great experience with Apple Customer care:
I own a white color Macbook 13.3 inches. Since last 3-4 months the bottom case cover started peeling off for no apparent reason. The bottom case had never touched water or any greasy substance but still there will lot of boils on the bottom case cover.
I was not expecting this from Apple hence I started looking for solution on internet and to my surprise there were hundred's of macbook users who have suffered this problem and apple had recalled macbooks sold after Jan 2009 for replacing the cover free of cost.
Rang up customer care, they promptly asked serial number of my macbook and then give me a case number. After that the customer care representative was kind enough to provide me with authorized service center address in Pune. Visited the A.S.S and they ordered the part for me. The part arrived in about 2 weeks and they replaced the bottom case free of cost.

Now my Macbook looks like new again..
Kudos to APPLE.
athanedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 16:36   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Love it, wouldn't trade it in for any other laptop in the world. Forget the good looks, it's just so damned easy to use.
Totally agree. I have been a Mac Book Pro user for the last 4 years and am extremely happy with the performance. Though I had to change my super drive abt a year ago, I have no complaints about the way the issue was handled by the service center in Hyd. I feel that this baby still runs better than most 'New' windows based lappies.
Couper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 21:01   #606
BHPian

I bought the mac from the US and brought it with me to India. It is still within the 1 year Limited warranty that comes with the purchase. What I'd like to clarify is on how to buy Apple care for my machine. Apple care is 100$ more expensive when buying from India.

SO, would it be possible for me to buy it from Amazon US and then use it to enable Apple care for my mac which I use in India. Would it allow me to avail Apple care from within India?

Last edited by di1in : 7th September 2011 at 21:02.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 21:16   #607
BHPian

Friends
In a few weeks i'm going to switch to macbook pro 13 from my 4 years old vaio sz laptop.kindly suggest is it wise to buy macbook or buy a new vaio laptop.

Also the best offer i'm getting is from reliance idigital store where i'm getting 12% off on MRP after showing student id card etc.Also I got the same offer from tata croma after I told them about the discount at idigital store .
Although i'm not a student will have to arrange for id's from a from some student.
Can anyone guide me from where I can buy the cheapest macbook in India.
Rgds
Braveheart
braveheart_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 21:56   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart_77 View Post
Friends
In a few weeks i'm going to switch to macbook pro 13 from my 4 years old vaio sz laptop.kindly suggest is it wise to buy macbook or buy a new vaio laptop.

Also the best offer i'm getting is from reliance idigital store where i'm getting 12% off on MRP after showing student id card etc.Also I got the same offer from tata croma after I told them about the discount at idigital store .
Although i'm not a student will have to arrange for id's from a from some student.
Can anyone guide me from where I can buy the cheapest macbook in India.
Rgds
Braveheart
If you won't need serious graphics crunching then the MBP 13 might be a good choice. You can always run your windows apps through virtual machine if you absolutely need them but most windows apps have they're counterpart freeware on macintosh.

You should also be aware that there would obviously be a learning curve when you switch OSs. MBPs also have better uptime compared to pc laptops. I get upto 6 hours on a full charge on my mbp 15" doing moderate browsing with occasional flash. I don't think there are many options to negotiate the price below the student discount so I'd say - go for it! If you have someone in the US then you could get it way cheaper though.
Old 13th September 2011, 18:43   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
I bought the mac from the US and brought it with me to India. It is still within the 1 year Limited warranty that comes with the purchase. What I'd like to clarify is on how to buy Apple care for my machine. Apple care is 100$ more expensive when buying from India.

SO, would it be possible for me to buy it from Amazon US and then use it to enable Apple care for my mac which I use in India. Would it allow me to avail Apple care from within India?
Hi Dil1in,
I am a mac user my Warranty expires on 16th Sept. I went to the istore in Chennai and bought the Apple care for 8700 and put the CD in my Mac and did registarion and the extended warranty. It does works well. I got the Imac fom Hongkong but extended the warranty here. It seems it is cheaper in india. You must know the Serial number to buy the apple care. Please ask one of your friend to get it either from Chennai apple istore or in Bangalore and send it to you. Or you can buy online from apple india web site or at last seek help from Apple Customer care.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 19:14   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Dil1in,
I am a mac user my Warranty expires on 16th Sept. I went to the istore in Chennai and bought the Apple care for 8700 and put the CD in my Mac and did registarion and the extended warranty. It does works well. I got the Imac fom Hongkong but extended the warranty here. It seems it is cheaper in india. You must know the Serial number to buy the apple care. Please ask one of your friend to get it either from Chennai apple istore or in Bangalore and send it to you. Or you can buy online from apple india web site or at last seek help from Apple Customer care.
Thanks
I'll check out the Chennai prices. It costs 290$ from Amazon US = Rs.13,000.
Old 13th September 2011, 19:31   #611
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys Is the Mackeeper advertised on the banner on top of this page reliable? has anyone used it?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 19:35   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in
Thanks
I'll check out the Chennai prices. It costs 290$ from Amazon US = Rs.13,000.
Hi di1in. If you are buying from Amazon and from a reseller then be sure to get it from a reputed seller and get the proof of purchase.
I don't think CC bill is proof of purchase. You should have the paper on which the code is printed.

One of the previous posters had issues because of lack of this "proof of purchase".

Cheers
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 20:06   #613
Senior - BHPian

I purchased the apple care for I mac. If yours is Mac pro or mac book it might be more than 10K. I was also told to keep the Bill copy while extending the warranty. Though I had it was not asked while doing as per the window guidance.In Chennai it is available and I was told if we cannot do it ourselves the customer care does for us if we provide the Serial number and the apple care key

The apple care for mac book starts from around Rs13500 for Mac book Pro 13" and around 19000 for Mac book Pro 15". That is online price but the store prices are cheaper.So better try in the apple stores or the Reliance istore.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th September 2011 at 21:55.
Old 18th September 2011, 00:50   #614
Senior - BHPian

[quote=athanedar;2485880]Just wanted to share my great experience with Apple Customer care:
I use imac. I dont have mac office. I use iwork. When I use pages I could not able to increase the height of the row like office. How to increase the height of the row. Any I work user can help.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:08   #615
BHPian

[quote=navan49;2509922]
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Just wanted to share my great experience with Apple Customer care:
I use imac. I dont have mac office. I use iwork. When I use pages I could not able to increase the height of the row like office. How to increase the height of the row. Any I work user can help.
iWork, allows you to drag rows and columns as and how you want to extend them, hover your mouse over the line that separates the rows, it will turn into up down directional arrows, drag in the direction you want to extend and done!
bigblackshark is offline   Reply With Quote