Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th October 2011, 13:13   #631
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Ok so the 2009 intel 2.4 C2D 250gb HDD Aluminum MB was getting old and I was looking at changing it. Got a new 13 MBP i7 with 4GB ram and 500 gb HDD.
Both the computers look same from outside but the performance is soooo different. The i7 rocks!
I still have the 2.4 C2D aluminum MacBook 13" with me. Would be glad to give it away if someone wants it. And oh yeah, it's got OSX lion and is very well kept.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 14:59   #632
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
I still have the 2.4 C2D aluminum MacBook 13" with me. Would be glad to give it away if someone wants it. And oh yeah, it's got OSX lion and is very well kept.
Hey, if you are planning on giving it away (free), I will happily take it (and pay the courier charges) or are you selling it?
Raja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2011, 15:18   #633
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Hey, if you are planning on giving it away (free), I will happily take it (and pay the courier charges) or are you selling it?
Ofcourse i am giving it away for free... in exchange for iPad 2 (top model)... or even iPhone 4S (factory unlocked) will do. And you don't even have to pay courier for this

On a serious note, paisa please
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2011, 23:35   #634
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Apple iMac offer. Any good?

Suddenly my WirelessKey board started to give trouble. When I use 3 and 4 and also e and r they are not appearing in the page we use or even for login too.I tried with my windows key board it works but still command keyFn key are needed for some job. I have to compromise till I get it serviced.Of course it is under warranty till 2013.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2011, 08:53   #635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49
I can understand that we can use MS office in MAC Machines. But I am not sure whether we have some Windows O S for MAc. If so is that windows OS is specially made for MAC like office or the same windows 7 can be installed in MAC. Some one can throw some light on it.
Well you can 'install' any other OS on your Mac. Either go the bootcamp way or virtualization way(parallels or fusion).
With the former you'll get only one OS to use at a time. With latter you can use both at the same time. Of course resource division will come into play in the latter case.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 11:58   #636
Senior - BHPian

recently I cleaned my key board with damp cloth. After reinstalling the batteries and switched on four keys were not working properly they are er and 3 4. I called the call center and got lots of guidance and finally I was advised to take to Service center. The person on the other end was very helpful. In the mean time he suggested me to check with windows key board. To my surprise my dell key board was working with mac.So as I could manage my work I did not take the wireless apple key board to service center. After two days just I switched on the keyboard and tested and it was working well. One point here is that the wifi KB consumes a lot of batteries.I am thinking to go with power key board and an optical mouse.
Old 19th October 2011, 17:39   #637
BHPian

Last week, I walked into the iStore to get a case for my iphone4. Got a nice griffin, was about to bill it, when the salesman said they have discounts on the mac. So I walked down the store with him, and saw 7 macbook airs, on sale (the core 2 duo). This, just when I was considering getting the air 13" or an ipad2 for my browing, what luck. Picked it up, along with a speck satin see through.
The air cost me INR 30K after disocunt, 1.86 ghz, 2gb ram, 256gb, 13", on snowleopard.
The satin see through costed around 2.5K (The satin see through is really nice and totally worth the money)
Also got a moshi keyboard protector of sorts - 1.2K (A total waste of money, do NOT get this)

I wanted something portable, for browsing. But now, I want to know what else I can do with it. Can someone help me out? Like nice apps or something? Is it advisable to upgrade to Lion?

P.S - this is my first mac.

Last edited by rg_chn : 19th October 2011 at 17:40.
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2011, 18:24   #638
BHPian

30K for an Air? Wow man you got an amazing deal. All the best with your new machine!
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2011, 04:17   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
30K for an Air? Wow man you got an amazing deal. All the best with your new machine!
That's exactly the reason I picked it up. I didn't need a personal laptop, and have no use for it except for browsing. My work requires me to use only windows. And just for the sake of browsing I couldn't get myself to spend 75k on an air. I prefered the air for its size, that's it. I'm not what they call an apple fanboy. When I heard the offer, I thought, why not try it out.

Having used windows all my life, it's a bit difficult getting used to mac os. But again, that's just a matter of time.

P.S - 28.5k to be precise
rg_chn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 12:27   #640
BHPian

Ditto my dear friend - after owning an MBP for almost 1 year I am still not an apple fanboy and use it for surfing only. Would have been better off with maybe an iPad. The geeks here may kill me but my windows lappie is sorely missed.

Cant even buy another laptop as already have 1 from office (which is no good as it has restricted access to most feautres) so no point having a 3 laptops.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 13:03   #641
Senior - BHPian

It is said that the Mac OS is only stable because it is installed on made-for-it systems:

http://lifehacker.com/5672051/how-to...ght-easy-steps

This guide and the Tonymac site show various options to install the Mac OS on assembled systems with different configurations. One needs the Mac equivalent of drivers to be installed, and that's it. It works just as well, without crashing, and is as always super fast.

Note that my Dell with 4 GB RAM and dedicated graphics card doesn't run as fast with XP, and frequently is slow both on the Internet and off. And yes, I have scanned for viri and what have you, defragmented the drives, uninstalled most of the default junk that comes along with these laptops. This is a 2010 core 2 duo, and is slower than my 2007 MB with a similar configuration, but a lot more software running on it, and which has not been cleaned up for better performance.

As an every day, non-work related machine, I think the Mac is a better system. But as far as work goes, one must use Windows because most office related work (technical and administrative) is done on software specifically designed for Windows, so no competition there.

Ps. Please note that the OS used in these installs is genuine and licensed.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 22:26   #642
Senior - BHPian

To day I got one video in MP4 format for my little ones. When I tried to play in my Imac it was telling that there is no application to open the file and as per the suggestion of the mac I down loaded a free version of MPlayerX and tried to play and failed too.Then went to my PC and tried that too did not respond.Finally copied to a thumb drive and played in LED TV and it played. Any one can suggest what to do to play the MP4 files in MAC.Is there any free application apart from the said one to play MP4 files in MAC.
Old 27th October 2011, 22:34   #643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
To day I got one video in MP4 format for my little ones. When I tried to play in my Imac it was telling that there is no application to open the file and as per the suggestion of the mac I down loaded a free version of MPlayerX and tried to play and failed too.Then went to my PC and tried that too did not respond.Finally copied to a thumb drive and played in LED TV and it played. Any one can suggest what to do to play the MP4 files in MAC.Is there any free application apart from the said one to play MP4 files in MAC.
I suggest you download VLC Media Player. Opens practically all media files and works without any issues.

You can download it here:

VideoLAN - Official download of VLC media player for Mac OS X
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2011, 22:38   #644
Senior - BHPian

Anekho!
Thank you for the suggestion. I was taking mainly about Imac. I had the VLC in my PC and during format it went.Are you sure VLC works for MAc. If so I will try right now. But my pop up screen did not display VLC in the list of recommended applications. Any how I will check now. Ya! its great. I downloaded and it works. VLC 64 bits.

Last edited by navan49 : 27th October 2011 at 22:47.
Old 7th November 2011, 21:54   #645
Senior - BHPian

Planning to buy a Macbook Pro. There are rumors floating around that there is a new Macbook pro coming soon. Is that true? Can we expect the new launch before December this year?

PS: Incidentally noticed that the usual online catalogue is missing on the Apple India Website. Could that be a sign for some good news?
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote