Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2011, 01:22   #646
BHPian
 
kraft.wagen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LA <---> Coimbatore
Posts: 939
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Planning to buy a Macbook Pro. There are rumors floating around that there is a new Macbook pro coming soon. Is that true? Can we expect the new launch before December this year?

PS: Incidentally noticed that the usual online catalogue is missing on the Apple India Website. Could that be a sign for some good news?
MBP just got an update in the US(not sure if the model is available in India though)
Some of the key changes were
Quote:
13-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor options move from 2.3 GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 and 2.7 GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 to 2.4 GHz and 2.8 GHz options.

- Hard drive options offer increased capacity, moving from 320 GB in the low-end configuration and 500 GB in the high-end configuration to 500 GB and 750 GB respectively.

15-inch MacBook Pro:

- Standard processor options move from 2.0 GHz and 2.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 to 2.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz options. The high-end custom processor option at 2.3 GHz has now become a 2.5 GHz option.

- For discrete graphics, Apple had previously offered the AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256MB of memory on the low-end configuration and the Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB of memory on the high-end configuration. Apple has now moved the 6750M to the low-end configuration with 512 MB of memory and given the high-end configuration a Radeon HD 6770M with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.

17-inch MacBook Pro:

- Processor speeds have been bumped from a base 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with a 2.3 GHz upgrade option to a 2.4 GHz base processor with a 2.5 GHz option.

- Graphics have been improved from the AMD Radeon 6750M with 1 GB of memory to the Radeon HD 6770M, also with 1 GB of memory.

- The previous build-to-order option of a 500 GB hard drive running at 7200 rpm has been bumped to a 750 GB drive at the same speed.
Next major would be the Sandy bridge, which according to the rumors are expected next year
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 19:33   #647
BHPian
 
infotech58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 629
Thanked: 217 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Has anyone been able to find out a software or plug in which would enable Lion or Leaphord OS to write to NTFS formatted drives?
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 19:36   #648
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 71
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58
Has anyone been able to find out a software or plug in which would enable Lion or Leaphord OS to write to NTFS formatted drives?
http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/
Or if you install parallels with windows then your Mac should get ntfs write.

You can also try this - open source from Tuxera.
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/

I've used Tuxera and it seems ntfs-3G would do regular stuff - paste, save, rename.

Last edited by rtandon : 8th November 2011 at 19:45.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 20:32   #649
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
MBP just got an update in the US(not sure if the model is available in India though)........
Thanks so much for the detailed info. This is exactly what i was looking for. The Apple india website shows the revised spec sheet for the Macbook pro 13 line up. So can we safely assume that the upgrade is available in India?

Am not into hardcore gaming or graphics and stuff. What would the sandy bridge upgrade mean to me?

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 8th November 2011 at 20:33.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 03:44   #650
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,039
Thanked: 731 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed info. This is exactly what i was looking for. The Apple india website shows the revised spec sheet for the Macbook pro 13 line up. So can we safely assume that the upgrade is available in India?

Am not into hardcore gaming or graphics and stuff. What would the sandy bridge upgrade mean to me?
Its rumored that the Macbook pro's next year will also lose the HDD and sport a flash drive akin to the MBA's. Thus your MBP's will look exactly like the MBA but with the specs of the MBP.

Would recommend you hold off your purchase and wait for a totally fresh launch of the MBP lineup next year. This refresh is akin to what we motorheads call a gross sticker job by a manufacturer to give an older model a new lease of life.
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 13:26   #651
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 383
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Its rumored that the Macbook pro's next year will also lose the HDD and sport a flash drive akin to the MBA's. Thus your MBP's will look exactly like the MBA but with the specs of the MBP.
IMO, That rumor is probably false. With an enclosure such as the MBA, there is no way they can figure in the thermal load of the GPU. There might be a bigger MBA but the MBPs will still live. The MBPs might get a MBA derived wedge shaped design though.

The rumor about the flash drive, last I heard it, was that the MBPs would utilise a flash based 32gb drive for the OS, and a conventional HDD for everything else. The MBAs rely on flash because those are intended to be used only presentations and such. The flash memory and RAM used in MBAs are soldered on, they can't be upgraded.
The MBPs are intended to be a workstation - hence the 'pro'. Workstation systems should be powerful and extendable. Hence the bigger enclosure which makes space for changeable primary and secondary memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Planning to buy a Macbook Pro. There are rumors floating around that there is a new Macbook pro coming soon. Is that true? Can we expect the new launch before December this year?
From what the current rumor mill tells us we would get an Ivy Bridge update to the MacBook Pro early in 2012. There is also a redesigned MacBook Pro rumor but it is yet to be confirmed. Another thing about buying MacBooks is that updates come around twice every year so if you plan on waiting for the next best thing .. it'll go on and on.

The best idea would be to decide whether you need one now. If you do, go out and buy one. This article would help you decide between Macbook pro 13 or 15.

Another thing you should be aware of is that with Lion OS a lot of users are facing battery issues. So you might want to check out on that as well. If it is a problem for you, then you should wait for the Ivy Bridge armed MacBook Pros which might release in another 6 months. And if you do purchase it, don't forget Apple Care - Apple repair bills are pretty huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Next major would be the Sandy bridge, which according to the rumors are expected next year
You meant Ivy Bridge right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Am not into hardcore gaming or graphics and stuff. What would the sandy bridge upgrade mean to me?
If you meant the Ivy Bridge upgrade, well Ivy Bridge is a die shrink of the current Sandy Bridge processors. So, Ivy Bridge will primarily get you a huge improvement in battery life. I don't know about any performance changes though.

Last edited by di1in : 9th November 2011 at 13:46.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 14:01   #652
BHPian
 
zeemmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad-Dubai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

" Apple repair bills are pretty huge." true !My MBP's dvd drive had to be replaced for a cost of 1500 aed, other than that I find it slower during booting opening of softwares etc.I own a MBP 17" 2.4ghz 4 gb ram late 2009 model. Is there any way to spped it up?
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 18:12   #653
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 383
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
" Apple repair bills are pretty huge." true !My MBP's dvd drive had to be replaced for a cost of 1500 aed, other than that I find it slower during booting opening of softwares etc.I own a MBP 17" 2.4ghz 4 gb ram late 2009 model. Is there any way to spped it up?
To speed up booting, and opening up softwares you could go for as SSD drive. But that would reduce the amount of data you can store as their capacities are lower than mechanical hard disks.

Or you could mod your Macbook Pro (this is team-bhp, we all love to mod eh?). You can remove the SuperDrive (dvd drive) and replace it with your current hard disk using an opti-bay. Then you can install a new SSD drive into your HDD bay. This way you get zippier performance, and the storage capacity of a HDD.

Cheaper and less radical options include installing a Hybrid Momentus XT.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 10:04   #654
BHPian
 
zeemmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad-Dubai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Thanks di1in, but most of what you have said sounds like hardware mods. At the moment its all stock from apple which I wish to keep.
I was thinking on the lines of small tweaks here & there inorder to make MBP more competent!
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 12:14   #655
BHPian
 
di1in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bnglr&Thrissur
Posts: 383
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
Thanks di1in, but most of what you have said sounds like hardware mods. At the moment its all stock from apple which I wish to keep.
I was thinking on the lines of small tweaks here & there inorder to make MBP more competent!
Did you upgrade to Lion OS X? If you want to keep it smooth, I'd recommend staying with Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Aside from that, there are the usual methods of removing unnecessary data/media to free up the hard disk, or running disk utility to see if all is well with your disks.

You could also install smcFanControl to monitor your temps and fan speeds. If it's revving above 2000 too much or if the Mac is hotter than usual you might want to try resetting the Macbook Pro SMC. The article is based on a different topic, but the necessary steps are given there. There is also this article to speed up the Mac.

Do you sleep you Macbook everyday after use, or do you shut it down? Shutting down once a fortnight should help trash garbage in the RAM.

Last edited by di1in : 10th November 2011 at 12:21. Reason: wrong url
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 13:15   #656
BHPian
 
zeemmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad-Dubai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Thanks Di1in, Nope still with snow leopard ,Will check those tips out. My MBP remains on weeks at large Thanks a lot dear!!
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 13:18   #657
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 998
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

It is so nice to have the Imac 21" with os X. But with the latest Wifi mouse and Key board facing trouble some times. Recently it was raining for days and weeks. During that time my battery of KB went off. I could not manage to go out to buy the batteries. All my work was hampered. In fact I use Dura cell which lasts only for a month or less others will last for 10 days. I went to buy USB key board from I store but was not available. The suggested for re chargeable battery but apple charger and 6 batteries costs Rs 1900. So any suggestions from friends in this matter. I use USB windows KB which is not effective.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 13:28   #658
BHPian
 
zeemmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad-Dubai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Strange it should issue notice's & warnings before going dead!
In my Experience With magic mouse, in my case the battery ran for complete one month & then issued warnings for around 15 days before it went dead.- remember in this case mouse was left 'on' for the whole one month.
So I changed my tactics I would switch it off after using every time With out fail, The Result- Complete One year on same brand of the battery!.
Apple says power switches off automatically if its not in use,even though I prefer the Old school.
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 14:39   #659
BHPian
 
arvindmanju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KA01
Posts: 300
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
It is so nice to have the Imac 21" with os X. But with the latest Wifi mouse and Key board facing trouble some times. Recently it was raining for days and weeks. During that time my battery of KB went off. I could not manage to go out to buy the batteries. All my work was hampered. In fact I use Dura cell which lasts only for a month or less others will last for 10 days. I went to buy USB key board from I store but was not available. The suggested for re chargeable battery but apple charger and 6 batteries costs Rs 1900. So any suggestions from friends in this matter. I use USB windows KB which is not effective.
If you are looking at buying rechargeable batteries then buy Uniross 2700mh batteries, it cost 800 rs for 4 batteries and charger, set of 2 extra batteries cast around 500Rs. They are much better and cost less then the Apple Batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
Strange it should issue notice's & warnings before going dead!
In my Experience With magic mouse, in my case the battery ran for complete one month & then issued warnings for around 15 days before it went dead.- remember in this case mouse was left 'on' for the whole one month.
So I changed my tactics I would switch it off after using every time With out fail, The Result- Complete One year on same brand of the battery!.
Apple says power switches off automatically if its not in use,even though I prefer the Old school.
even I follow the old school method and the battery life has lasted for quite a long time.
arvindmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 23:13   #660
Senior - BHPian
 
navan49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 998
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Arvindmanju and Zeemee! Thanks for the suggestion. You are right it was giving warning but last time suddenly it went dead. It seems nice of you to remind the old school method. I too will try to off the mouse and KB when ever it is not in use. If it comes for at least 2 months it will be fine.If not I will go for rechargeable ones as suggested by you.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks