Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th November 2011, 10:37   #676
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!
I was a windows user since 1990's, lost hope and moved to mac this year and all i can say is i just love it! Every time i work on it, it brings a smile to my face. Only downside i see in this machine is the all aluminum chassis dinks. Already managed to get one with my careless nature :(
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:01   #677
BHPian

guys, need advice from the users on the app that is good to view photos apart from iPhoto as slide show. I tried the Picasa dint quite like it.
In the windows world i liked the Faststone Image viewer, and app similar to this?
arvindmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:14   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
guys, need advice from the users on the app that is good to view photos apart from iPhoto as slide show. I tried the Picasa dint quite like it.
In the windows world i liked the Faststone Image viewer, and app similar to this?
You can try Preview. Just select all the photos, double click to open them in Preview (or select Open With Preview from secondary click).
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:38   #679
Senior - BHPian

Has the Mac OS and Ubuntu got any similarities? I am keen on buying a Macbook Pro. Wanted to have a first hand experience on a different OS other than Windows. Installed Ubuntu 11.10 the other day on my netbook.

Sadly, the latest Ubuntu that runs parallel on my Windows 7 netbook has really left me disappointed. The interface lags like hell and screen keeps flickering. My keyboard and mouse operations doesn't sync well either.

I just hope that the Mac OS doesn't prove my decision to move away from windows wrong. Also I would like to know if you need Genuine Win 7 & MS Office Package to work with boot camp.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 15th November 2011 at 11:42.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 13:04   #680
BHPian

I am using MAC Book Air 13.3 inch with Lion OS, the day I start using this never want to go back to my windows laptop (but can't avoid at its official laptop too). But believe me its one of the fastest OS I have seen to far.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 13:40   #681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
I just hope that the Mac OS doesn't prove my decision to move away from windows wrong. Also I would like to know if you need Genuine Win 7 & MS Office Package to work with boot camp.
Very rarely does a person not like Mac OS. The only problem I've ever seen with it has to do with Lion. Running Lion on portable Macs drains battery faster than under Snow Leopard. But I still get 5 hours worth of wireless browsing in my old 15" MBP.

You don't recquire win7 genuine to use with VMWare Fusion. I haven't tried it with bootcamp yet, but I do know that certain kind of cracks don't work. So worst case scenario is that you might have to try a couple of win7 installers before you get it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Only downside i see in this machine is the all aluminum chassis dinks. Already managed to get one with my careless nature :(
Try this Macally case for macbook pro, I don't use it at home (slightly bulkier), but it's a good idea to use it in a work environment. Gives you peace of mind, and lets you handle the mac rougher than you normally would when it was naked.

Quote:
Here, Apple are offering the new MacBook Pro with free Applecare and also the education store has good discounts. So I am really tempted to make the switch and get the 15 inch 2.4 GHz one.
Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!
If apple care is free then it's a steal since apple care costs around 275$ for the MBP. But I wasn't able to see the offer through the link you've provided.

Last edited by di1in : 15th November 2011 at 13:43.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 23:13   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
You can try Preview. Just select all the photos, double click to open them in Preview (or select Open With Preview from secondary click).
thank you,

I finally found an application similar to fast stone viewer.
XnView
Old 16th November 2011, 01:07   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post

If apple care is free then it's a steal since apple care costs around 275$ for the MBP. But I wasn't able to see the offer through the link you've provided.
The free Applecare is a store-only promotion, they don't have it online. And its only till the end of the month. I think its something like $350 here for 3 years. Is it worth getting it BTW? I've never gotten extended warranties on any of my laptops so far.
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 03:39   #684
BHPian

Quote:
The free Applecare is a store-only promotion, they don't have it online. And its only till the end of the month. I think its something like $350 here for 3 years. Is it worth getting it BTW? I've never gotten extended warranties on any of my laptops so far.
Paying for your own repairs is usually a very costly affair for apple products. also it increases the resale value if you sell it within the apple care period.
Old 16th November 2011, 07:03   #685
BHPian

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have just retured from the Apple store with a brand new 15" MacBook Pro.

Got free Applecare for 3 years plus student discounts, total came up to $2200. Got the 2.4 GHz one with the 750 Gb HDD and 1Gb video card. I am even loving the packaging!
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-mpb.jpg  

Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 07:38   #686
BHPian

congratulation!!! and welcome to the world of Mac.
you have struck a nice deal
Old 16th November 2011, 17:24   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. I have just retured from the Apple store with a brand new 15" MacBook Pro.

Got free Applecare for 3 years plus student discounts, total came up to $2200. Got the 2.4 GHz one with the 750 Gb HDD and 1Gb video card. I am even loving the packaging!
You've got an awesome deal! And the picture looks like it's smiling up at you Now that's a happy mac
Old 17th November 2011, 13:27   #688
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to mac Bro. Hope you will enjoy it!
Have to agree with you about the packaging, When I was opening my MBP I Made a video of the whole process
Unlike the horrbile brown cardboard packaging with "other' laptops.
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 14:20   #689
Team-BHP Support

Awesome deal and welcome to the world of Mac's you will enjoy it!
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 15:34   #690
BHPian

After contemplating between all the various mac options, I was slowly inclined to the macbook air. After a lot of thought, I changed my mind decided to buy the mac mini 2011. I now have cash to buy an ipad2. I get best of ios and lion
kvish is offline   Reply With Quote