Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2012, 01:21   #721
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,141
Thanked: 974 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Using the new message app for Mac, its beta but super kewl since iMessage is also supported inside Details and download under Mountain Lion.
Cant seem to find the download page...
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 05:08   #722
BHPian
 
rajtheindian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Syracuse, US
Posts: 247
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy

The curse has arrived - since the last week my AE also now stops streaming music for a few seconds ...the song continues playing in itunes
Did u tried to update the firmware on the airport express?
rajtheindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 09:10   #723
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,716
Thanked: 7,405 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Cant seem to find the download page...
Here you go Apple - Mac OS X - Download the free Messages Beta.

Link is at the bottom.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 10:54   #724
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Cant seem to find the download page...
Here you go - Apple - Mac OS X - Download the free Messages Beta.

Shame it can't be downloaded on snow leopard
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 11:45   #725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Buying an iPad2 in next 2-3 days for my brother. Anyone know how to get it for lowest possible price in Bangalore? It'll be a 16GB+3G+Wifi.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 18:26   #726
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hey guys, I am in dire need to buy a laptop and its gonna be the MBP. I am ok with the 13" one, but hesitant in choosing the processor. Should I go for the i5 or i7? And will I get any discounts anywhere in Hyderabad? What about this refurbished models? What would be the price for the same?

Finally, is it wise to get it sourced from US?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 18:34   #727
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Finally, is it wise to get it sourced from US?
If you can get it from US, then its definitely cheaper and worth it.

I5 versus i7 depends: This depends on your budget and requirements (Gaming?)

I5 with memory upgrade can also be a good option.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 18:41   #728
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you can get it from US, then its definitely cheaper and worth it.

I5 versus i7 depends: This depends on your budget and requirements (Gaming?)

I5 with memory upgrade can also be a good option.
Sourcing as of now isn't confirmed. For gaming I have my PS3

For movies and music, I have my Samsung LCD and 5.1.

This laptop is purely for internet browsing, video chat, photoshop, et al.

Is i7 worth a upgrade, leaving behind the budget or i5 is more than sufficient for my purpose?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:36   #729
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Sourcing as of now isn't confirmed. For gaming I have my PS3

For movies and music, I have my Samsung LCD and 5.1.

This laptop is purely for internet browsing, video chat, photoshop, et al.

Is i7 worth a upgrade, leaving behind the budget or i5 is more than sufficient for my purpose?
i7 is more future-proof. You never know what updates Photoshop will get tomorrow or there'll come a new software in a year or two which'll get better support from i7. So better to be future proof I say.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:44   #730
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,529
Thanked: 8,458 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Is i7 worth a upgrade, leaving behind the budget or i5 is more than sufficient for my purpose?
What Creative is true, if you are heavily CPU intensive requirements.
I have i5 based mini which I upgraded to 8GB Ram. I have similar requirements as yours.
Instead of PS I use Aperture.

Since I am not into gaming, I am fine with the i5. Only point to note is wait till April
(Or tonight's event) where we get to know, what is in store for this year's product line.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 21:13   #731
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Is i7 worth a upgrade, leaving behind the budget or i5 is more than sufficient for my purpose?
@dre@ms, I'd recommend that if you can source it from the US, get the 1-gen old top-end 15" MBP! It will be very cost-effective, and future-proof as well!

In case of Apple laptops, unlike iPhones, the warranty is truly international! So, you'll save money as well as get a high-end machine!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 15:13   #732
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singara Chennai
Posts: 548
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
i7 is more future-proof. You never know what updates Photoshop will get tomorrow or there'll come a new software in a year or two which'll get better support from i7. So better to be future proof I say.
Sure, will keep this in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What Creative is true, if you are heavily CPU intensive requirements.
I have i5 based mini which I upgraded to 8GB Ram. I have similar requirements as yours.
Instead of PS I use Aperture.

Since I am not into gaming, I am fine with the i5. Only point to note is wait till April
(Or tonight's event) where we get to know, what is in store for this year's product line.
Hope there is no mention in the Apple event today on MBP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
@dre@ms, I'd recommend that if you can source it from the US, get the 1-gen old top-end 15" MBP! It will be very cost-effective, and future-proof as well!

In case of Apple laptops, unlike iPhones, the warranty is truly international! So, you'll save money as well as get a high-end machine!
How to get the 1-gen MBP??
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 16:10   #733
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 56
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

1-gen old MBP can be found at any of the Apple resellers like MacConnection! In India too, you contact some of the Chroma like stores!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 17:15   #734
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Don't know about Croma like stores but Croma sold out even the demo pieces of gen 1 when the new models were launched. I had the opportunity of picking one at nearly 35% off the original MRP but opted for the incoming models which in any case were approximately 15% cheaper than the out going ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
In India too, you contact some of the Chroma like stores!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 21:17   #735
Senior - BHPian
 
shajufx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: BLR & Muscat
Posts: 1,661
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
....I have i5 based mini which I
upgraded to 8GB Ram. I have similar requirements as yours......
Instead of PS I use Aperture. .....
Glad to know someone using aperture here. If my understanding is correct, it does not support layer editing right ?

If someone is into heavy editing and processing as I do, i7 also struggles really hard, unfortunately there is no i10 yet (except what is on wheels )

I just got my MBP 15", i7, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB Vid, 750 GB HD specs on 3rd of this month, it does all my routines well except the real struggle that happen on batch processing, batch RAW conversion, Video editing etc. RAM is expandable upto 8GB, not sure if that can ease the work. Any inputs ?

I am yet to get a CS4 on this, which I am used to on the windows desktop. FOr the time being I am playing with Pixelmator on a 30 days trial. It has plenty of features which I am yet to explore. Probably the cheaper alternative of PS for Mac.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:22.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks