Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th June 2012, 01:40   #871
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Dell covers self induced damage too, to quote the sales agent who sold me my first Dell laptop with an 'accidental cover' "You throw it out of the window and short of picking it up for you we will get it working again". In our office all of the Dell machines are bought with that cover and have benefitted from it at one time or the other. Dell also offers a 'Dell Secure' package which covers theft but this cover is not offered in our country as yet.

For the MacBookPro I bought an insurance cover that covers it agaginst "accidental damage", especially and specifically covered for damage arising out of spillage of liquid(s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
As far as I understand, self-induced damage is covered only under insurance, never warranty!! For every brand!
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 15:59   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
.....My reseller mailed me a few days back saying some 5000 worth of accesories with a new(old stock) MacbookPro......
I bought mine on 4th March and there was a 6000 rs worth of accessories offer going on. I got the entire discount in cash after some pleading and bargaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
2 to 3 years is also what I'm looking for. I do not want to spend more on the MacBook Pro as I would mainly use it for software development purposes and I do not need a powerful hardware......
I had a habit of checking the mac prices once a while throughout the year 2011, that time my main obstacle was not able to use my trading platforms on a mac product. This year I am spending more time on my photography and I did not want to wait further in owning a mac. There are many friends and relatives of mine who are still with the Macbook (which is no more in production). None of them have any need to move to a PRO, so I really doubt if you need to wait for new launches.

Mine is a 15" MBPro with OS X lion (10.7.4) with an i7 processor. Previous generation was Leopard as I understand and the next batch will be Mountain Lion. As long as I get my work done without issues, why should I even bother if my cage has a leopard or water lion or mountain lion ? Just my simple thoughts.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 16:36   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
. This year I am spending more time on my photography and I did not want to wait further in owning a mac.
Sir one question. More of a doubt really. Why do many photographers prefer the mac os rather than windows? I mean all of Adobe's softwares work the same in windows and plus setting up a windows photography workstation is way cheaper than a mac. What is it that appeals to you in a Mac? Other than them being a glamorous object of desire.

I love macs but for me they are just day to day ordinary work. Wanted to know from a photographers perspective. I do have friends who are in the design and photography business but they loathe the mac. And i thought macs were the "it" thing and still think the same.
Whats your view?
Regards
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 17:40   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I bought mine on 4th March and there was a 6000 rs worth of accessories offer going on. I got the entire discount in cash after some pleading and bargaining.

I had a habit of checking the mac prices once a while throughout the year 2011, that time my main obstacle was not able to use my trading platforms on a mac product. This year I am spending more time on my photography and I did not want to wait further in owning a mac. There are many friends and relatives of mine who are still with the Macbook (which is no more in production). None of them have any need to move to a PRO, so I really doubt if you need to wait for new launches.

Mine is a 15" MBPro with OS X lion (10.7.4) with an i7 processor. Previous generation was Leopard as I understand and the next batch will be Mountain Lion. As long as I get my work done without issues, why should I even bother if my cage has a leopard or water lion or mountain lion ? Just my simple thoughts.
If it was any other time of this year, I would not have had any second thought and would not have waited and would have immediately bought the machine. But since the WWDC is just around and with so many romours around regarding the new lineup, I was just waiting for the price reductions to happen. It is just for the few bucks that I'm looking to save. No other reason. I'm not interested in buying the new Mac Book Pros with the new hardware.

By the way, can't we upgrade the Mac Book Pro's with the new OSX as and when they get released?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 17:51   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Why do many photographers prefer the mac os rather than windows?......
Hi buddy, I may not be able to tell what the crowd thinks of it, but personally, Mac saves me a lot of time, ease of processing, virus-free work flow, more reliable display in color accuracy, easier to manage my entire work, ease of creating slide shows, movies and all such heavy editing.

My desktop is windows XP Pro with i5 processor and a 4GB RAM. But it takes ages for me to even transfer the RAW files from camera to system, and breaks all my patience levels by the time I see the final output. Not forgetting the pain I will have on my right hand.

MacBook Pro touch pad is a blessing, which no windows system can give me. I dont need to click for any action in the entire processing. Everything is a touch or move over the pad and its lightning fast to the final output. Very soon my desktop will be replaced with the 21" iMac. And finally, I may never go back to a Windows system after getting used to a mac.

Joe: about the upgrade part, I am not yet clear with that. Some experienced users might throw some light on it

Last edited by shajufx : 7th June 2012 at 17:52.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:10   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
By the way, can't we upgrade the Mac Book Pro's with the new OSX as and when they get released?
Of course you can upgrade! My MacBook Pro came pre-installed with Tiger, but I am running Lion on it today, and Mountain Lion had also been declared compatible with it! 5 generations of OS on the same machine is something that I couldn't even imagine on my Windows machines!! But then, they didn't last 5 years in such a good shape!!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 19:13   #877
BHPian

Default Advise for fellow bhp'ians

Hi,
I have a 2010 MacBook pro, 15" i7 4gb ram. Two days back all of a sudden the book stopped functioning. It just won't turn on. When I went to apple (authorised) service centre, I was informed that logic board is fried, reason; fluctuation in voltage while book was on charge. Cost of repair without labour INR 42,500!!
I paid about 1,38,000 for this book when I bought it. And with lot of dilemma paid another 18K for apple care extended protection plan.

Cost of repair= INR 0

Thank goodness for shelling out 18k!

Advise in nutshell, when buying mac, please consider the extended care plan.

Regards
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 19:17   #878
BHPian

Quote:
Hi buddy, I may not be able to tell what the crowd thinks of it, but personally, Mac saves me a lot of time, ease of processing, virus-free work flow, more reliable display in color accuracy, easier to manage my entire work, ease of creating slide shows, movies and all such heavy editing.
Sir you should get yourself a wacom tablet. Trust me it eases up the workflow all the more. And its just like working with your pen or even gestures. I have the wacom bamboo touch and pen. Its too good. Plus it lets me draw just as i would with a paper and pencil. And its not costly also. 5k rs only.
And yes you should definitely get the imac. I just love watching movies and web surfing on it. The beauty of mac is everything just gets done which on windows would require customising or your effort. But then windows is kind of an open ecosystem where we can use whatever components we like.

And for your desktop id suggest upgrade to windows 7 ultimate edition. Its fast and much better than win xp. Your i5 is going wasted with winxp. Windows 7 being 64bit does operations much faster. And photoshop 64bit is also available as are other Adobe softwares. Suggest you give that route a try before parking all your money into an iMac. Regarding virus my win7 with panda cloud antivirus has avoided most viruses till now and i havent had any problem. And for my online transactions i use linux. Completely virus free. just some friendly suggestions for you sir.

Joe1980 if you register as a developer with apple you'll receive all the latest beta OSes for free. Apple releases that to developers for app development on the newer platforms. So not a problem regarding updates.

Cheers!!

What disappoints me about apple is that after numerous patent suits they seem to release phones based on the same design every year. Now with the patent suit against s3 i guess apple is launching a 4.5inch device. But it will still look the same. Sad considering the competition has brought out newer improved designs each year.

But im thankful to apple for making the interface so easy to use that my mom learnt it within a day and when i was away on studies, it was easy to video chat with her using the mac than the pc.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 7th June 2012 at 19:42.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 20:23   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
.....And with lot of dilemma paid another 18K for apple care extended protection plan.....
Had you taken the APP with the purchase or bought it later ? Where did you buy it from ?

Quote:
....... get yourself a wacom tablet. ......windows is kind of an open ecosystem where we can use whatever components we like.......upgrade to windows 7 ultimate edition.......give that route a try before parking all your money into an iMac. ......
Thanks for the suggestions, I am not at all into extensive processing and artworks. My work is 90% shooting and 10% processing, so you know how simple it can be. My iMac plan is purely based on the ease & beauty of this system and swapping or sharing work between lap and desk, specially with the iCloud technology. Its better to store & share my data within a single OS than struggling between apple & windows, hope you agree. So, whatever I buy now is an investment for 5 years or more. The entire cost of a complete apple line up can be covered in 2 or 3 projects I am getting into.
Old 7th June 2012, 20:28   #880
BHPian

Quote:
Had you taken the APP with the purchase or bought it later ? Where did you buy it from ?
I purchased it at the time of MacBook pro purchase from apple store itself. APP is a code in a box. I have heard stories of people buying it cheap over ebay(without box) and later realising that it was a counterfeit.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th June 2012 at 20:32. Reason: Fixed Quotes
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 00:09   #881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My desktop is windows XP Pro with i5 processor and a 4GB RAM. But it takes ages for me to even transfer the RAW files from camera to system, and breaks all my patience levels by the time I see the final output. Not forgetting the pain I will have on my right hand.
You are passing comments on Windows based on a 10 year old OS? Couple years back I had to use XP on some laptop, I was left gasping for breath. It is a relic, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
Cost of repair without labour INR 42,500!!
I paid about 1,38,000 for this book when I bought it. And with lot of dilemma paid another 18K for apple care extended protection plan.
This part has always intrigued me. What do people do when their Apple Hardware surpasses 3 years? After that any repair can cost more than the book value of the machine. PCs can be cheaply repaired forever, but what are the options for repairing Apple hardware. This question is looming in the horizon for me since I have few machines that have less than a year left on the protection plan.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 02:08   #882
BHPian

Indirectly it means Apple saying to all of us that their devices are capable of holding off to a maximum of 3 years. After that it is just destiny of the machine and you.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 13:56   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You are passing comments on Windows based on a 10 year old OS?......
Sorry I was wrong about its age, now how about a 4 months old Sony Vaio wth Win7 and all the highest config possible for a 15" model ? My younger bro bought one and still having virus & some configuration issues, not forgetting the disk formatting done twice on support team suggestions !! What happens to a mac after 3 year period is a wild wild luck I would say, cant find another comfortable word
Old 8th June 2012, 14:33   #884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
now how about a 4 months old Sony Vaio wth Win7 and all the highest config possible for a 15" model?
Sony Vaio??? Enough said.

Most of the problems in Windows are caused by bloatware that is added by the PC maker. I always do a clean install when I buy a PC, and install an antivirus and firewall. I buy a few PCs every year, I don't see any issues.

Anyway, coming back to Mac. What do people do after 3 years? Dump the machine once it has a problem, and buy a new one?

Last edited by Samurai : 8th June 2012 at 14:50. Reason: typo
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 14:38   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sony Vio??? Enough said......Dump the machine once it has a problem, and buy a new one?
Oh is it that bad a system or brand ? I am ignorant about every brand and a 100% nonIT guy

About apple after 3 years: may be buy another one or move to windows again