Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th June 2012, 14:56   #886
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Oh is it that bad a system or brand ? I am ignorant about every brand and a 100% nonIT guy
I have heard only bad things about Vaio forever. Remember, it is advertised mainly on the number of color choices for the laptop body. Buy computers from computer companies like DELL/HP/Lenovo, and not from consumer electronics companies.

Quote:
About apple after 3 years: may be buy another one or move to windows again
That is not good. Can't switch to Windows, I have MacOS/iOS customers to support.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 15:05   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I have heard only bad things about Vaio forever........
No clue about that, but remember their Z series is costlier than a MBPro 17 inch
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 20:51   #888
BHPian

Quote:
That is not good. Can't switch to Windows, I have MacOS/iOS customers to support.
Are you an Apple reseller? I'm sorry that I do not understand your statement.

After 3 years, it is just fate with the Mac Book Pro's. If you handle it good, it will server you good. I experienced this with my Lenovo Think Pad's. I hope this holds good for any product.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 20:54   #889
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Are you an Apple reseller? I'm sorry that I do not understand your statement.
What! If I was an Apple reseller, why would I have this doubt? My team develops software on Apple platform.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:37   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Oh is it that bad a system or brand ? I am ignorant about every brand and a 100% nonIT guy

About apple after 3 years: may be buy another one or move to windows again
Vaio sucks big time. Just visit a sony service centre. Most of the customers coming there would be having laptop issues. I had gone to get my psp serviced and was shocked. Ask any vaio owner. Once in his lifetime he would have visited the service centre.
Also i hate bravia tvs. Samsung tvs are much better. Even the lower models offer usb file playing support and any file format. Whereas my sony tv is just lying waste since i cant watch any other file formats on it.

As samurai sir is saying, in my experience wipro, zenith laptops performed far better than the ones by media companies. My zenith laptop from 2006 is still working even though i need to constantly keep it connected to power as battery dead. And Dell offers the best service.

Macs are eye candy. Period.

And samurai sir i feel apple wants people to purchase protection plans knowing well that for 3 years mac is gonna last well and after that the customer will again invest in apple owing to high repair charges. He will feel why not purchase a new system itself. Whats the use of selling one set of iMac, iPhone, iPad, MBP to a person for life when you can bump up the service costs and sell multiple sets of the same products to him. Gone are the days of the apple's powerPc which would last long without much hassle. And we like fools fall prey to apple's polishing tactics.

When the iPad 2 came out, lots of recently purchased iPads went on sale on ebay. The owner stated he wanted the new iPad 2. And the prices they were selling the 2-6month old iPads was shocking. 12k to a maximum of 17k. This was ebay india. Amazon had even lower offers. Many people made a killing by buying the second hand iPads at such prices with warranty intact. One should go through the first 10 pages of this thread to know what i mean. Eye opening.

Even then if anyone is not convinced, goto apple's US website and go through each of their product reviews by customers in details. You'll be shocked to see customer complaints. The previews only show us the good lines. Click to read full review to see the horrible things.

Regards.

Oh and I own an iMac and other iDevices too so dont you say im an Apple hater. Cheers!!

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 8th June 2012 at 21:46.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 21:45   #891
Team-BHP Support

Red face Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Anyway, coming back to Mac. What do people do after 3 years? Dump the machine once it has a problem, and buy a new one?
I was also a non believer and thought it was all hype, but apple has really changed my perception.

I know of two people who have been apple customers for the last decade or so?? One being our resident ol man Mr Sen. His original Mac is still running elsewhere close to 8 years now? The MBP he has which was abused according to his standards still continue to work well. It had some minor issue with software which i sorted over few hours on a weekend with some updates and disc check. The jammed disc drive was the only other issue, which again he attributed to abuse. The way in which it boots up itself is evidence to apples obsession with perfection.

On the other hand i have been using laptops from 1999 IIRC, Toshiba, HP, IBM, Dell, Sony or Asus, you name it i have used it, multiple models from all these. And none of them lasted more than a year without issues. Mind you am a very light user and very careful user with all updates and stuff. Still something or the other failed.

Finally i got fed up with Win laptops and went for a basic i5 13" MBP (very expensive for me), its 1 year plus and just love it (i took APP at 1 year and updated to Lion when it was released, update itself was so seamless!). This machine really brings a smile to my face when i power it ON, after coming home from latest Win OS and hardwares from office. Trust me i wouldnt have even typed such a long reply if i was replying from my swanky office vaio

Apple just works, consistent and is flawless. The screen itself is to die for. I have dropped it and the aluminum shell including the screen lid has dents. Thank god the screen didnt crack or anything!

In short, Apple just does it well. They might not be as flexible or free as a Win machine but just works well, and in my humble experience atleast 2 times longer than any Win machine including IBM think pad which i hold highest from notebook collection.

Sounding fan boy, but sorry i have had very good experience with the brand and feels that this MBP would run for 5 years, unless i really mess it up!

Quote:
No clue about that, but remember their Z series is costlier than a MBPro 17 inch
Yes one of the costlier model. The darn thing works well till the first update. Then over the year it slows down (like memory creap!). If you really want to get it to run proper, format and reinstall every year. That is the only way out. Then the hardware issue, usually the graphics board which gets fried thanks to heat, maybe due to the compact designs. I have also been on vaios since 2006. Inspite of all the trouble i like Vaios since its the closest to MBP/Airs, form factor and screen quality atleast.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Vaio sucks big time. Just visit a sony service centre.
===============
As samurai sir is saying, in my experience wipro, zenith laptops performed far better than the ones by media companies. My zenith laptop from 2006 is still working even though i need to constantly keep it connected to power as battery dead. And Dell offers the best service.
==========
Macs are eye candy. Period.
=====
And samurai sir i feel apple wants people to purchase protection plans knowing well that for 3 years mac is gonna last well and after that the customer should again invest in apple. Its no use if the customer owns one for life. They need to keep selling it to the same guy. And we like fools fall prey to apple's polishing tactics. One should go through the first 10 pages of this thread to know what i mean. Eye opening.

Regards.
You are very wrong sir, 1) the OS share is dangerously growing for apple. More and more people are waking up and smelling the coffee. 2) Most apple outlive their counterparts from Win, its a well know fact.

Vaio i agree there are issues, but still anyday i prefer them for the reasons mentioned above ^^

Eye candy is just a bonus!

ps: The iMacs at office are the most abused lot. Engineers throwing them around and all. Still never had a single service request placed. On the other hand the win server machines fall off like flies.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th June 2012 at 21:52.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 21:56   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
On the other hand i have been using laptops from 1999 IIRC, Toshiba, HP, IBM, Dell, Sony or Asus, you name it i have used it, multiple models from all these. And none of them lasted more than a year without issues.
since its the closest to MBP/Airs, form factor and screen quality atleast.
Sir
The fact that you have had so many laptops itself shows they wouldnt have lasted long enough. But regarding MBP/Air platform do check out Dells xps 13z, 14z offerings and also Dells latest 13" ultrabook. All aluminium offerings and far better than vaio. And with rocking service. Earlier IBM was great but Dell truly is the Market Leader in terms of product range, customer support and service availability.
The only problem with all branded windows machines you need to do a clean install of windows without all the crapware that comes from each company. Then they function without a glitch.
P.s my windows machines and my 2 yr old only iMac have almost the same startup times after i updated to windows7. And yes i havent have had to service my iMac till now touchwood. Probably cause its only used for video calling with my parents and some word work. Hope it lasts me quite sometime. If it crashes ill store it as art for its eyecandy.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:09   #893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sir
The fact that you have had so many laptops itself shows they wouldnt have lasted long enough. But regarding MBP/Air platform do check out Dells xps 13z, 14z offerings and also Dells latest 13" ultrabook.
=======
The only problem with all branded windows machines you need to do a clean install of windows without all the crapware that comes from each company. Then they function without a glitch.
====
Hope it lasts me quite sometime. If it crashes ill store it as art for its eyecandy.
Dell service is just about ok, experience from office. For us Sony does better job at door steps. The new line up of dell hmmm... hopefully i will get my hands on them soon

For a non techie like me installing an OS after spending so much is truely ruled out due to all practical purpose and worry of warranty. Moreover most of these have been my office machines. So i cant play around with them like a private user.

I was just doing a guess estimate. I would have lost atleast 10-15 days of my work time also due to Win laptop changes over the years!! Trust me changing a machine is the last thing i want to do at office if they are reliable. I have retained a proper desk top for last few years, to save me the pain from this and use a laptop for mobility reasons.

Highly unlikely but if the mac crashes please do send it to me as a gift
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 22:30   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu

Highly unlikely but if the mac crashes please do send it to me as a gift
Na probably ill auction it after 30 40 years and get a million bucks for it. Even if i hang it on the wall its still going to be eye candy. I guess iMac is probably the only artwork at my native home.
Cheers!!
Old 8th June 2012, 22:48   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
........i have been using laptops from 1999 IIRC, Toshiba, HP, IBM, Dell, Sony or Asus, you name it i have used it......Apple just works, consistent and is flawless. The screen itself is to die for......win server machines fall off like flies.
My first lappy was a Toshiba satelite back in 2003 which costed close to a lakh and I was really shocked when it had a booting issue in the first month itself. I had no clue about what was a comparison and standard of quality to expect from a costly laptop at that time, because it was my first hand experience and some of the colleagues had Acer which also gave them time to time head aches. If my memory is still reliable, I have used the recovery CDs atleast half a dozen times before I sold it in 2006. Someone bought it for 55k in Bangalore after checking inside out ! So 2003 to 2012 is a long journey to me changing various desktops, netbooks and finally ending up with a MBPro. So far I am very happy with the quality and the way it functions.

Quote:
....... Hope it lasts me quite sometime. If it crashes ill store it as art for its eyecandy.
Please count me as second in the waiting to get it as just an 'eyecandy'
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 22:55   #896
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On the other hand i have been using laptops from 1999 IIRC, Toshiba, HP, IBM, Dell, Sony or Asus, you name it i have used it, multiple models from all these. And none of them lasted more than a year without issues. Mind you am a very light user and very careful user with all updates and stuff. Still something or the other failed.
I started using laptops only 2003, only desktops before that. My 2003 IBM Thinkpad G40 is still around, now used by trainees. My 2007 Dell XPS M1210 is about to enter the same duty. In other words, my 9 year old laptop and 5 year old laptop are still operational on all cylinders, except they are slow by current standards. I just purchased my 3rd laptop this April.

Quote:
Apple just works, consistent and is flawless.
You surely know my iMac story.

Meanwhile, a Core i7 desktop PC (Win7) I bought at the same time for my Manipal office has been running 24x7 since April 2010. Not a single crash, not a single problem. In fact, I log via RDC into that machine from Bangalore for work. That machine cost 25% of the iMac cost, not including display. And it is much faster than i7 iMac, as I discovered last year when I was doing some performance testing of a logging library. I recall mentioning that to you.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th June 2012 at 22:57.
Old 8th June 2012, 22:57   #897
BHPian

[quote=Jaggu;2802989]I was also a non believer and thought it was all hype, but apple has really changed my perception.

I know of two people who have been apple customers for the last decade or so?? One being our resident ol man Mr Sen. His original Mac is still running elsewhere close to 8 years now?

EDIT:

I have 6 apple products, first one purchased in 2002. Have been / sent a product only twice for repair. First one was the 2002 iPod which went in 2007 or 2008 for battery replacement and it's still going strong. 2nd one was a new purchase yesterday (7th June) and a Vodaphone SIM card got stuck inside and wouldn't come out - Turned out to be a faulty SIM.

Net - Both visits don't really count, first one was maintenance once in 10 years is OK. 2nd one, can't blame Apple as it was Vodaphone faulty SIM and Apple did not charge (Infact offered a new iPhone 4s at 12K as it was in warranty).

In between, I have owned Dell & HP laptop, Nokia & Blackberry, All failed miserably and all Apple products going strong.
mustysekhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 23:29   #898
Senior - BHPian

Guys an awesome offer for Macs.

http://www.mupromo.com/?ref=4438 hope it helps the new users. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 10:17   #899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Wish you never have to use the APP
We spoke about this too soon. Had to take it in today as the battery would discharge quickly. Just 2 months past the year. APP covers it for now so FOC.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 11:16   #900
BHPian

Why are there so many complaints or problems with the current macs. Im in the mood to get one again but if Apple doesnt stop selling the unreliable products im kind of worried about regular visits ro the service centre.
P.s im waiting for the wwdc to get over to get a new Mac.
Has anyone faced similar issues with macs bought from the USA?
Do mac minis have problems?

Regards