Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th June 2012, 11:53   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig
Why are there so many complaints or problems with the current macs.
Don't think that current gen Macs are any more or less reliable than they were previously. Of course some would have issues. My family has 4 and this is the first one that has developed an issue.
Do you think you've started noticing only after you began your (re)search.
BTW, that was a fairly broad brush you used.

Quote:
Has anyone faced similar issues with macs bought from the USA?
Well, every Mac is made in China these days. I doubt there is quality difference the one sold in India v/s the one in USA v/s any other country.

[quote="Parthasarathig"]
Do mac minis have problems?[quote]
Is there any specific kind that you are referring to? Theoretically, every product has a problem. Even if it is designed by God or god.

I've used compaq & hp in the past. And the one that I long for even now is the compaq. What machine and OS(Win2K). I loved it.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 17:22   #902
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I bought my first Mac (a Macbook Pro 15" Santa Rosa) back in Nov '07. I did not have the foresight to buy Apple Care. The machine was a refreshing alternative to my experience with ALL my previous computers (all Windows with reasonably good hardware for the times) with no regular anti-virus updates, driver failures, reformatting, re-installing of OS, etc! In fact, I never saw it hang/freeze/crash!

But, as it was nearing it's 2nd birthday, I started getting Kernel Panics and failures to boot the device. Clearly, there was something wrong with the graphics! At that point, I wasn't sure what was wrong, so I took a backup to my Time Machine disk as soon as I could get it to boot. Then, I took it to the Imagine Store, Forum Mall. Those guys suspected that the graphics was a problem (there was a known NVIDIA chip problem for which Apple had declared coverage even outside of warranty), but before that, they would have to run a diagnostic test in order to prove the same. All symptoms matched, but they could NOT get the test to run!! Leave alone getting a pass/fail on it! The same happened at the iStore, MG Road. So, for a machine out of warranty, a Rs. 70K logic board replacement was needed! As a last resort, I mailed sjobs@apple.com (for the uninitiated, well, I'll let it be...). Within 3 days, I got a call from someone in "his" Executive team (people who reported directly to him) from Ireland, and that person did a little back and forth between me and the iStore guys (who were infinitely more arrogant, rude, and clueless than the Imagine Store guys) and went ahead and authorized an out of warranty replacement of my logic board. The iStore guys were cheap enough to ask for a "labour charge"!! They actually said that although Apple has authorized the swap, the "labour charge" is the only money they will get out of the deal! Since it was pretty low compared to what I was otherwise going to have to spend, I paid it and got out!

Now, my out of warranty MBP's logic board was again under warranty for the next 6 months, as per Apple Authorized Repair terms! This will come in handy soon!

About 4 months into using it again, I started feeling that it was getting super-hot while under average load! I let it slide for a while, but decided to visit some Apple Authorized Repair guys soon! I went to the BCT repair shop on MG Road (It's in the black building). They said the machine was not under warranty, and I might have to pay Rs. 70K again for a logic board swap, but as soon as I told them about the repair, they went ahead, got an authorization from Apple, and swapped it again! For good measure, they kept the machine with them for the next 2 days to stress test it!!

In the meanwhile, I had mailed sjobs@apple.com yet again asking him to see what quality of repair was done the first time around! Surprisingly, I again got a call from a lady within 3 days, again from his executive team! She followed up this repair instead of me having to do anything, and at the end of it, she even sent me an iPod Shuffle for my troubles!!

For a machine way out of warranty, once proven that it "could be" a manufacturing defect, Apple certainly went out of it's way to treat a 3rd world customer so well! The same machine has been working flawlessly for the last more than 2 years (that's where this is being typed on)! Before the MBP, it was an iPod Video (still doing duty in my Jazz) and since then, there are one iPhone 4, one iPhone 4S, an iPod Nano (Project Red) and an Apple Extreme Base Station, all doing what they do, extremely well! I'm a fan, hopefully for life!

Computers are devices, designed by humans, and bound to fail, but it's not always because there was a manufacturing defect, but even because of regular use (everything has a life), and because of abuse (what is "regular use" to you may be "abuse" for someone else)! And, sometimes, it's just bad luck! Just like it's with our cars which are beyond the standard warranty, or out of the Shield coverage, we have to pay for the repairs and continue using them! It's not the end of the world! It's not your last computer. If you feel that you have found pleasure in using a computer after a long time (as I did), continue with you Mac! If you "have to" use a Mac for business reasons, but would like to buy a Windows machine for personal use, by all means do! But, trust me, on an average, I have felt that an Apple device, other than being beautiful, is an excellent choice for tension-free computing!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 17:54   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
I bought my first Mac (a Macbook Pro 15" Santa Rosa) back in Nov '07. I did not have the foresight to buy Apple Care. The machine was a refreshing alternative to my experience with ALL my previous computers (all Windows with reasonably good hardware for the times) with no regular anti-virus updates, driver failures, reformatting, re-installing of OS, etc! In fact, I never saw it hang/freeze/

Computers are devices, designed by humans, and bound to fail, but it's not always because there was a manufacturing defect, but even because of regular use (everything has a life), and because of abuse (what is "regular use" to you may be "abuse" for someone else)! And, sometimes, it's just bad luck! Just like it's with our cars which are beyond the standard warranty, or out of the Shield coverage, we have to pay for the repairs and continue using them! It's not the end of the world! It's not your last computer. If you feel that you have found pleasure in using a computer after a long time (as I did), continue with you Mac! If you "have to" use a Mac for business reasons, but would like to buy a Windows machine for personal use, by all means do! But, trust me, on an average, I have felt that an Apple device, other than being beautiful, is an excellent choice for tension-free computing!

Plus one to that!
I have stated in my post that my logic board fried due to voltage fluctuations ( a common thing in Gurgaon ). This is partially my fault, as I should be careful enough to use surge protectors (Belkin maybe?).
I have first gen shuffle, iPod 4gb, iPod classic, iPhone, iPad2 and lot more in my wish list.
I got mine repaired from Tresor systems in Gurgaon. No questions asked, no documentation required. They followed up with me thoroughly. It took 3 days for part to arrive, prior 3 hours to diagnose and 1 hour to fix the part and boot the machine. 1 hour to test.
It is a wonderful piece of equipment to own. My suggestion was to go for APP, in case anything should go wrong.
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 18:31   #904
Team-BHP Support

My personal MBP and the office Mac mini's are from US and so far so good. The mini's are abused since they are used by development team. So i guess not.

@Samurai: You are the only exception and that is why i from day 1 insisted to push for a replacement. I would have never accepted the piece that was delivered to you originally and am quite sure if you had put your foot down you would also have got a new piece. But IIRC you didnt have the choice to wait that long. So its just fate
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 21:37   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91
I ! It's not your last computer. If you feel that you have found pleasure in using a computer after a long time (as I did), continue with you Mac! If you "have to" use a Mac for business reasons, but would like to buy a Windows machine for personal use, by all means do! But, trust me, on an average, I have felt that an Apple device, other than being beautiful, is an excellent choice for tension-free computing!
Im a recent convert in the making and I simply love the design of all apple machinery. They look good enough to eat! Amazing!
I hope tomove soon to an iPhone and a MacBook Pro too.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 01:12   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Im a recent convert in the making and I simply love the design of all apple machinery. They look good enough to eat! Amazing!
I hope tomove soon to an iPhone and a MacBook Pro too.
I was a non Apple user until I got my first iPhone 4S this year. After than I bought an iPad and now I'm planning for a Mac Book Pro. It is the combination of the hardware and the OS that I like from Apple. Everything is easy to use. I like that. I'm sure that you will never ever regret your move.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 02:13   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
Those guys suspected that the graphics was a problem (there was a known NVIDIA chip problem for which Apple had declared coverage even outside of warranty), but before that, they would have to run a diagnostic test in order to prove the same.

For a machine way out of warranty, once proven that it "could be" a manufacturing defect, Apple certainly went out of it's way to treat a 3rd world customer so well!
Incidentally, I had bought a mid-2007 Intel-based MacBook Pro too and had the same issue (logic board failure). Just like in your case, Apple has gone out of the way in making sure I am comfortable. Well, I did not mail sjobs@apple.com, but I still got royal treatment even without Apple Care. The logic board on my laptop fried thrice (all three times out of warranty) and it was replaced free of cost!

Currently in its 6th year of running, the laptop still has lot of juice to run OS X Lion, the latest OS, smoothly. Beat that, PCs.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 02:30   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga

It took 3 days for part to arrive, prior 3 hours to diagnose and 1 hour to fix the part and boot the machine. 1 hour to test.
It is a wonderful piece of equipment to own. My suggestion was to go for APP, in case anything should go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch
Currently in its 6th year of running, the laptop still has lot of juice to run OS X Lion, the latest OS, smoothly. Beat that, PCs.
This logic board issue is getting me worried? Is this prevalent in MBPs only? I havent had an issue in my iMac till now but since im thinking of a new Apple eye candy, what should i be worried about? In case of logic board failure did you lose data? And any idea what might have led to that failure?
My use will be browsing, iChat, facetime, and movies and some photoshopping and office work. But mainly movies and videos my priority. And what do you do when youve a logic board failure? Do you shift to other pcs temporarily or apple provides a temporary MBP?
What other issuss has everyone been facinf with the recent Macs?
Noob question. Does iCloud work if my apple devices are in two diffferent cities?
And yeh sjobs@apple.com kya hai? Ya kaun hai? (who is sjobs@apple.com) other than the late Steve Jobs.

Regards
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 03:39   #909
BHPian

Quote:

This logic board issue is getting me worried? Is this prevalent in MBPs only? I havent had an issue in my iMac till now but since im thinking of a new Apple eye candy, what should i be worried about? In case of logic board failure did you lose data? And any idea what might have led to that failure?
Nothing to worry, Parthasarathi. This was a manufacturing defect of a specific graphics chip (Nvidia) for a specific model number of MacBook Pros. Nvidia had acknowledged the issue way back in 2007 and Apple had intimated the users to get their logic boards replaced if the display goes blank. And no the data remains perfectly intact. In fact I've never lost my data on my Mac ever. I can't say that about my other Dell laptop.

Adroit and I only gave examples to show the exemplary Apple customer care.

Last edited by nileshch : 10th June 2012 at 03:44.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 05:30   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I was a non Apple user until I got my first iPhone 4S this year. After than I bought an iPad and now I'm planning for a Mac Book Pro. It is the combination of the hardware and the OS that I like from Apple. Everything is easy to use. I like that. I'm sure that you will never
ever regret your move.
My tryst with apple began 7 to 8 years back with that old gen 30GB ipod video which at the time I thought was a different world but used only off and on because I wasnt really into it much. It lay dormant for ages between uses!

The iPad2 really changed my perception about apple because of its portability and interactive nature. My wife got me one and I really started enjoying playing with it.

Then I happened to win a prize in a tournament - and amongst the goodies was this jbl sound dock, on which I can place the iPad and iPod etc. Excellent sound quality and the best thing is the fact that one can use the remote as a selector for music etc.

Unfortunately that dock was not compatible with the old ipod 30gb video which has been serving me faithfully for 7-8 years. So I gave it to my Dad to keep for his car and morning walks etc.

Got myself an iPod touch which is compatible with the JBL and that is also simply brilliant because it is just like a mini iPad.

Got my folks another iPad and now they are hooked to it completely.

Then on a recent holiday I bought the Apple TV, which I have to hook up to my existing TV setup.

Since I ve been enjoying using all these apple toys Im thinking in terms of a 32gb iPhone 4S and the base level MacBook Pro as well, for work.

However, I m told that a release of Apple iPhone5 is due so should I wait or should I buy the 4S? I have no madness for the latest latest so it just might be sensible to wait a bit and buy the 4S when the price drops some more do you think? Right now the 4S 32 gb costs Rs 50900/- in India. Its beautiful and way nicer looking and way more desirable than my current N8.(Though the N8 has a wonderful camera).However, this 4S also has an 8mp camera that seems capable of a great deal, like the N8.
Im sure the iPhone 5 will have a 10mp or even 12 mp camera in it, going the way things are!

The design is apple-licious and I am in the process of becoming a thorough convert - I have been bitten by the Apple Vampire and am slowly growing my own set of fangs!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th June 2012 at 05:34.
Old 10th June 2012, 10:54   #911
BHPian

You are absolutely right. You buy one product from Apple and you end up buying some more in a couple of months. You get attracted to the beauty and elegance of Apple.

I've used a Samsung Galaxy(the very fist generation) and then a Sony xPerria Mini Pro in the last couple years and I'm using the IP4S since the last 3 months. I should admit that I'm making most out of my IP4S than I did with my earlier Android devices. It it the combination of the OS and the design of the hardware I like the most. I'm not sure how the new iPhone 5 would look like. Rumors indicate that the screen size will be increased to 4 inches and the device will be much more thinner than the current IP4S. Eagar to see that in reality. But you are absolutely right, the prices will definitely drop a little once the new ones are out in the market. Though there won't be a quantum drop in the prices for the IP4S, there is certainly some bucks that you can save if you could hold on for a week or so. Even I'm waiting for the announcements for the Mac Book Pro as I would be buying the current 13 inch MBP model which is currently available. Tomorrow is the day that we will come to know all this.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:53   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch

Nothing to worry, Parthasarathi. This was a manufacturing defect of a specific graphics chip (Nvidia) for a specific model number of MacBook Pros.

Adroit and I only gave examples to show the exemplary Apple customer care.
Oh i thought they used Ati chips only in their machines??
I wish "some" Apple vampire bit my parents too as all my purchases have to be kinda okayed by them. Last year did think of getting one more iMac for my current location and mantri mall fellow was giving great discount. Failed to convince my parents. For them the argument is you have 2 iDevices and one "lappy". How many more computers you need. And at home you already have iMac. Hmmm. Proved to be tough but i wanted to get rid of my lappy too. Before i bought the iDevices my mom gave me the option either iDevices or a MBP13. I wanted all of it. Got iDevices instead.

Now that my toshibas battery is dead, time has come again for the visit to the apple store. I doubt if the newer macs will be priced any different than the current outgoing ones.

Should i wait for issues to be reported or will it be safe to get one after the release? Also hoping they dont discontinue the mac mini. In my opinion, i think the display of an iMac is to die for.

Disclaimer. I still hate the macs for not being able to play games on them, but that bit is going away as ill buy an xbox this year. Also i hate them for not giving the full format wireless keyboard in the iMac package. Aarghh!! Makes no sens for me now to get an iMac except for sheer viewing pleasure. Mostly will be getting MBP as otherwise ill be left eithout a laptop.

Has anyone done presentation with the iPad? Ive got cable for connecting to the projector. But it only works with keynote. Bit of a bother there really. How to play videos through projector? Anyone tried? And keynote is buggy. Me dont like.

And i still hate apple for not bringing newer designs of iPhone except sitting and complaining about patents. Lol.

Regards.

@shankar sir i tried to sell off my n8 in the tbhp classifieds. But no takers. Better get rid of it soon or else youl be stuck with it for life. But whatever n8s camera is still the best in the market. Now with pureview 808 released the crown has shifted.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 10th June 2012 at 12:58.
Old 10th June 2012, 22:51   #913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Oh i thought they used Ati chips only in their machines??

Should i wait for issues to be reported or will it be safe to get one after the release?

And keynote is buggy. Me dont like.

And i still hate apple for not bringing newer designs of iPhone except sitting and complaining about patents. Lol.
About the ATI graphics cards: No, they decide to use what is best for them. They are not tied to any one brand.

About waiting: Don't bother! If you're buying in India, you will anyway not get it for the first month or so! Plus, you're 100% covered for the first 12 months, so why bother! The price isn't going down anyway!!

About Keynote: If you think it is buggy, please file a feedback with Apple, providing specifics. But, what bugs? I can't do anything about it, but would like to know.

About the iPhone: They bring about a change in the internals and the exterior design of the phone in alternative years, so this year should see a new design in Sept/Oct. "Patent wars" are part and parcel of any modern technology business. You cannot give away for free what you have created so painstakingly! I am not saying that Apple is completely clean though!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 03:18   #914
BHPian

iGods please please please give us a new iPhone tomorrow.
Started with a prayer, so what is everyone expecting from this year's WWDC? Will Apple surprise us with a new iPhone at this time of the year? Newer iPods, Macbooks and iMacs?
I wish they re introduce the black MBP. Ill prebook that one instantly.
With lacklustre e3 and ok ok computex, WWDC is our only hope for this year for some tech eyecandy even if it is just the iOS 6. Any bhp ian covering the WWDC?

Regards
Old 11th June 2012, 04:09   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@shankar sir i tried to sell off my n8 in the tbhp classifieds. But no takers. Better get rid of it soon or else youl be stuck with it for life. But whatever n8s camera is still the best in the market. Now with pureview 808 released the crown has shifted.
Hi. I went to a local mobile store yesterday just for fun. He said he would give me 10k for the 1.5 year old N8. I bought my n8 in dec 2010. The n8 now costs 19500 brand new. After buying the n8 I spent a bit more by putting an extra 16gb memory card also into my n8. I have used about 70% of the various memories; phone memory, mass memory and memory card. It is a very good phone indeed and works brilliantly as a navigation device too. The natural upgrade would be the lumia 800 or 900. Nokia maps are free for life along with voice guided navigation etc.. I believe apple iphones dont have voice guided navigation and that the maps arent as great as nokia?

In any case I am not worried about phone disposal because I can easily give my old phones to my dad or mum and thereby cause a forced upgrade for them as well.

While apple iphone 4s appeals powerfully, from the aesthetics and desirability point of view, my main use for any phone is calls, texts, whatsapp, emails, point and shoot camera and navigation. For these things to work nicely I require lots of battery, lots of memory and a great camera. All these functions are handled very well by my n8. Im able to work the social network etc quite well despite being only on 2g. However, the same n8 phone worked so much faster and better on the seamless 3 to 3.5g network which I experienced on a recent trip outside the country.

So I have no doubt that the iphone 4s 32 or 64gb should do the job as I see it, quite well.
However, I need to know more about the camera quality and the voice guided navigation and whether the maps are, like Nokia, free for life or not?

Ideally it would be nice to carry just one single device, dropping out even the garmin sat nav which I have, because I am finding it is far easier to have the phone do the navigation job by periodically upgrading all the maps rather than having to keep buying the garmin maps for various countries and loading them onto the nav device.

My n8 has many countries maps loaded onto it and is absolutely brilliant.

I would greatly appreciate advice on this, given the usage and needs outlined above.