Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th June 2012, 00:33   #946
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

As I'm watching the Euro 2012 football match between Germany and Netherlands, I'm typing this on my new Mac Book Pro 13". This is the old model and there were some discounts on this model and got a couple of goodies like incase transparent case and a gift voucher.

I'm just getting used to my Mac as this is my first one. How do I make the click effect with a single touch? Do I have to every time press the touchpad to get the click effect? The multi-touch is awesome.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 00:55   #947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
As I'm watching the Euro 2012 football match between Germany and Netherlands, I'm typing this on my new Mac Book Pro 13". This is the old model and there were some discounts on this model and got a couple of goodies like incase transparent case and a gift voucher.

I'm just getting used to my Mac as this is my first one. How do I make the click effect with a single touch? Do I have to every time press the touchpad to get the click effect? The multi-touch is awesome.
You can change that in system preferences and hence your touchpad will click with a single touch.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 00:57   #948
BHPian

Quote:

First of all congratulations are in order. Next just a reminder to get your APP before you forget completely. Also which configuration did you purchase?

About the trackpad issue, I guess it should be in the system preferences option- trackpad preferences. There should be one option "touch to single click". Just enable it.
what was the price btw? Did you purchase it in India?
Cheers!!
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 01:24   #949
BHPian

Thanks guys. I figured it out how to do it. It was as simple as a breeze to change it.

I bought the least available configuration in the 13" model. I would not be doing any heavy loading related tasks on my machine. I wanted to spend little and wanted a MBP. That was all my requirement. I would buy the APP after 6 months.
Old 14th June 2012, 02:17   #950
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the new Mac. From my purchase experience, if you buy the APP within the first three months of initial purchase the coverage is better than if the APP is bought after 90 days. I do not recall the exact difference, maybe someone else can elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I would buy the APP after 6 months.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 10:04   #951
BHPian

[quote="khoj"]Congratulations on the new Mac. From my purchase experience, if you buy the APP within the first three months of initial purchase the coverage is better than if the APP is bought after 90 days. I do not recall the exact difference, maybe someone else can elaborate.

The reason is extended telephone support if you buy within first three months
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 02:33   #952
BHPian

Thanks everyone.

Anyone already uses the Time Machine backup utility? Can you guide me how this works? Does it backup locally or is it on the cloud? I'm thinking of activating my time machine on my Mac but not sure if it is a good idea to use it.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:32   #953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Thanks everyone.

Anyone already uses the Time Machine backup utility? Can you guide me how this works? Does it backup locally or is it on the cloud? I'm thinking of activating my time machine on my Mac but not sure if it is a good idea to use it.
I use it, and most of my friends who are on Macs, use it. It is one of the most seamless backup experiences! I'd suggest you buy a new dedicated (robust, but not necessarily portable) external hard drive, and connect it to your Mac. It should automatically ask you whether you want to use it for TimeMachine backups. Even if it doesn't, you can go through System Preferences -> Time Machine settings, and in a couple of clicks, enable this (toggle an ON/OFF switch). There will be very minimal questions asked in the next steps which you should be able to handle easily! Then, remember to connect the particular HDD regularly (I do this every 2-3 days) so that incremental backups can happen. The first backup may be a trifle slow, but it shouldn't be more than an overnight thing. Incremental backups are super fast!

I think you can even boot on a Time Machine backed up HDD if your internal HDD goes kaput! It's a life saver!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2012, 09:59   #954
BHPian

Thanks for the post. I was considering getting a Timc Capsule. Should it necessarily be a time capsule or would a normal HDD be enough. I guess the Time Capsule works wirelessly. Is there any specific advantage using Time Capsule? Is it recommended?
Old 18th June 2012, 10:57   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the post. I was considering getting a Timc Capsule. Should it necessarily be a time capsule or would a normal HDD be enough. I guess the Time Capsule works wirelessly. Is there any specific advantage using Time Capsule? Is it recommended?
Time machine is just a costlier version of a normal backup. For a cheaper option an airstation wifi along with an external hdd does the same job. Or you can simply backup your hdd by connecting it to the mac at night when you are gonna sleep. I doubt if your hdd will anyways go kaput if you use it for normal work such as office and movies. Touchwood i havent experienced a hdd failure even on my 512mb ram computer. And i run most of my machines at a very high stress level.
My honest 2cents.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:07   #956
BHPian

I already have an external HDD. But I have a lot of pictures and my personal documents there. I guess, I should import them all into my Mac and use this HDD just as a backup device that would back up my entire OS rather than just pictures. Sounds like a good idea. But I doubt the credibility of the external HDD. It is a 500 GB device that I bought 4 years ago. I used it heavily in the last years but now most of the time it is sitting idle. Do you suggest that I should go ahead and give it a try? or should I just keep it as it is and go for a much more reliable HDD device?
Old 18th June 2012, 11:24   #957
BHPian

Quote:
I already have an external HDD. But I have a lot of pictures and my personal documents there. Do you suggest that I should go ahead and give it a try? or should I just keep it as it is and go for a much more reliable HDD device?
How much is the capacity of your mac's hdd?
Thing is since your hdd would be ntfs formatted, mac will probably have a hard time reading the drive let alone write to it. And the mac to ntfs softwares arent any reliable these days. And lets not install windows on a mac and spoil the experience.

first you should try connecting it to the mac and see if mac is able to read all the data. If so then copy it onto the mac. Im guesing the hdd isnt completely full with 500gb data. So next format the hdd to mac recognised partitions. Copy back all your data or just start the backup. All your data should be on the harddrive automatically. I recommend this method if you have the time and patience to connect your hdd at the end of each day and backup. Takes a bit of an effort. And time machine should create backups immediately when the hdd is connected thereby making it a hasslefree solution.

You will also find many online tutorials if you want to create backups wirelessly without something as costly as a time machine. hope you find this helpful.
What i use at home is the Belkin N router along with a hdd to stream all my content. And since its a network device if i want i can backup all my data wirelessly. Much cheaper option than time machine.

On another note was seeing this Steve Jobs movie yesterday on cnbc tv18. Just realised that if Steve Jobs hadnt been forced to quit apple in he beginning, then we would probably have all macintosh machines as standard these days and not windows. Windows capitalised on Steve Jobs absence at apple. I wish Apple hadnt made that mistake. Atleast if Apple had dominated, then we wouldnt have eyesore inducing pc desktops and laptops till this day.

P.s the 15" retina MBP retailing at 1.52.000 Inr?!? :shockked:
Old 18th June 2012, 11:56   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
How much is the capacity of your mac's hdd?
Thing is since your hdd would be ntfs formatted, mac will probably have a hard time reading the drive let alone write to it. And the mac to ntfs softwares arent any reliable these days. And lets not install windows on a mac and spoil the experience.

first you should try connecting it to the mac and see if mac is able to read all the data. If so then copy it onto the mac. Im guesing the hdd isnt completely full with 500gb data. So next format the hdd to mac recognised partitions. Copy back all your data or just start the backup. All your data should be on the harddrive automatically. I recommend this method if you have the time and patience to connect your hdd at the end of each day and backup. Takes a bit of an effort. And time machine should create backups immediately when the hdd is connected thereby making it a hasslefree solution.

You will also find many online tutorials if you want to create backups wirelessly without something as costly as a time machine. hope you find this helpful.
What i use at home is the Belkin N router along with a hdd to stream all my content. And since its a network device if i want i can backup all my data wirelessly. Much cheaper option than time machine.

On another note was seeing this Steve Jobs movie yesterday on cnbc tv18. Just realised that if Steve Jobs hadnt been forced to quit apple in he beginning, then we would probably have all macintosh machines as standard these days and not windows. Windows capitalised on Steve Jobs absence at apple. I wish Apple hadnt made that mistake. Atleast if Apple had dominated, then we wouldnt have eyesore inducing pc desktops and laptops till this day.

P.s the 15" retina MBP retailing at 1.52.000 Inr?!? :shockked:
Thanks for the suggestion. With regard to the file sytem format, you are right. I would try it tonight and post here if I face any difficulties.
Old 18th June 2012, 15:29   #959
BHPian

Guys, Time Capsule is a hardware you have to purchase, that too only if you want wireless backups!!

Time machine is built into your OS, and you just need to plug in an external hard drive to back up your data.

Also, I'd recommend the backup hard drive be at least twice the size of the data you want to backup. I suggest you buy a new non-portable USB 1TB drive and use it.
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2012, 10:39   #960
BHPian

Thanks for the information on Time Capsule. I would go for it may be in a couple of months.

I have been using my Mac for almost a week and I find that it is becoming a bit slower than it was in the first week. Is there any additional setup that I could do to make my Mac perform faster? I have the one with the i5 processor and 4 GB RAM. I could notice this when I restart my Mac. It takes about 2 to 4 minutes. Even my Lenovo Thinkpad which has half of this configuration works faster. I'm sure there should be some sort of settings that can make my Mac faster. Let me google if I could find something useful.

Last edited by joe1980 : 19th June 2012 at 10:44.