Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th June 2012, 15:48   #961
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hi Guys,

I am in a situation and need help.
I want to buy a macbook pro 15. I have been saving money and waiting for the new one to be launched. When I heard its launched for 2199$ I was happy as the current 15 inch one with 2.6 ghz processor also cost 2199& and in India costs 1.25 laks. I was fine with 1.25 Lakhs but new one costs 152900 in India. This is shocking. First I dont understand why the price difference between US and India.

I want to ask is it possible to customize your macbooks in India before buying. I am actually thinking of buying the base config of Macbook 15 which costs 1.05 lakhs and get an SSD with it. Will it be possible to swap the hard drive for the SSD in India?

Thanks
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 23:18   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in a situation and need help.
I want to buy a macbook pro 15. I have been saving money and waiting for the new one to be launched. When I heard its launched for 2199$ I was happy as the current 15 inch one with 2.6 ghz processor also cost 2199& and in India costs 1.25 laks. I was fine with 1.25 Lakhs but new one costs 152900 in India. This is shocking. First I dont understand why the price difference between US and India.

Thanks
Nope you wont be able to swap SSD on the base model. To get SSD you need to order the middle model. They dont allow on the base model. I read it on engadget. And ya the price difference is ridiculous. Better to have some relative bring it from the US or get it from Singapore as Apple India gets their products from there. And you can customise only limited options unlike the US website.
Just get in touch with apple india via email. They will send you a price list and offers.

Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:41   #963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Nope you wont be able to swap SSD on the base model. To get SSD you need to order the middle model. They dont allow on the base model. I read it on engadget. And ya the price difference is ridiculous. Better to have some relative bring it from the US or get it from Singapore as Apple India gets their products from there. And you can customise only limited options unlike the US website.
Just get in touch with apple india via email. They will send you a price list and offers.

Regards.

Thanks for the help man. Yeah even I called the sales Apple India and she said that I wont be able to customize before buying as they dont have Apple Online Store in India. Anyways I have around a month to gather money. Lets see how much I can gather and will then decide which one to go for. Although the one with Retina Display is really delicious. Lets hope I can gather that much money!!
Old 21st June 2012, 15:31   #964
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the help man. Yeah even I called the sales Apple India and she said that I wont be able to customize before buying as they dont have Apple Online Store in India. Anyways I have around a month to gather money. Lets see how much I can gather and will then decide which one to go for. Although the one with Retina Display is really delicious. Lets hope I can gather that much money!!
Id suggest you wait till next year if you can. Apple may probably terminate the other version of MBP without the retina display by next year. Not sure but my gut feeling says so. Or atleast they will make the retina display available on the non retina macbooks. You can however opt for the non retina mac. Wont make much of a difference except for the price.. Wait and watch would be the best option. Why dont you want the Macbook Air? Are you wanting for work or for movies and entertainment?

Online reviews suggest the retina display yet to be fully put to use since 3rd party apps havent been optimised for it. And apple has now hidden the screen pixel measurements in the display configuration by changing the options to words now. Im yet to see the retina display in person and decide about my purchase. I feel going in for the top end with the 768gb ssd will be a best future proof option, but with apple products after 3years if your unit conks off you are in deep trouble.

P.s a question to other members. Who produces Apple's retina lcds? Afaik samsung and lg were the monitor suppliers. If this is so, why cant we see retina on other laptops?
P.p.s the pixel density of this retina display has however decreased and as engadget complains, the Apple requirement for retina keeps decreasing with each product launch.
Old 21st June 2012, 15:39   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Id suggest you wait till next year if you can. Apple may probably terminate the other version of MBP without the retina display by next year. Not sure but my gut feeling says so. Or atleast they will make the retina display available on the non retina macbooks. You can however opt for the non retina mac. Wont make much of a difference except for the price.. Wait and watch would be the best option. Why dont you want the Macbook Air? Are you wanting for work or for movies and entertainment?

Online reviews suggest the retina display yet to be fully put to use since 3rd party apps havent been optimised for it. And apple has now hidden the screen pixel measurements in the display configuration by changing the options to words now. Im yet to see the retina display in person and decide about my purchase. I feel going in for the top end with the 768gb ssd will be a best future proof option, but with apple products after 3years if your unit conks off you are in deep trouble.

P.s a question to other members. Who produces Apple's retina lcds? Afaik samsung and lg were the monitor suppliers. If this is so, why cant we see retina on other laptops?
P.p.s the pixel density of this retina display has however decreased and as engadget complains, the Apple requirement for retina keeps decreasing with each product launch.

Actually I have already waited for sometime. My laptop is a good 6.5 years old now and is showing its age. To be honest I dont need a very high performance machine. I dont do gaming on my laptop now as I have a PS3. All I can think of doing is Photoshop (That too I am learning). But still want to go for a good laptop so that I am safe for next few years and then who doesnt want to own a high end laptop.

I am going to wait for atleast a month and see the one with Retina Display before making my decision.

As far as I know the reason Samsungs and Lgs cant come up with Retina display is because of contractual agreements that Apple will have with them. All innovation done under Apple brand name would stay with apple.
Old 21st June 2012, 16:00   #966
BHPian

Quote:
Actually I have already waited for sometime. My laptop is a good 6.5 years old now and is showing its age. To be honest I dont need a very high performance machine. I dont do gaming on my laptop now as I have a PS3. All I can think of doing is Photoshop
Go in for the non retina macbook pro then. Photoshop and other apps yet to be optimised for the retina display. The advantage of the retin mac is its slim profile. Almost close to the macbook air. And if you opt for the normal macbook pro then go in for the matte display. The glossy one is really pretty bad with glare depending upon lighting conditions.
Regards and dont forget to buy the Apple Protection Plan.
Old 21st June 2012, 21:54   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....go in for the matte display. The glossy one is really pretty bad with glare depending upon lighting conditions....
Thats something people dont realize until they own one. I was warned by many, but could not get it as matte screen is available only in US as claimed by the salesguy. He suggested the matte screen protector for an exorbitant figure of some 2000+, did not take it till date. The glare is a killer, I really cant work on my Mac wearing a white dress, so I always wear black or dark colors so that I reduce the glare Again, dark dress is only a relief, not a complete solution !!
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 03:14   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thats something people dont realize until they own one. I was warned by many, but could not get it as matte screen is available only in US as claimed by the salesguy. He suggested the matte screen protector for an exorbitant figure of some 2000+, did not take it till date. The glare is a killer, I really cant work on my Mac wearing a white dress, so I always wear black or dark colors so that I reduce the glare Again, dark dress is only a relief, not a complete solution !!
Mantri mall fellows had told me matte display was available. Basically all the options that you see on the Singapore or Hongkong apple website is available in India. And if you are finding the mac branded thingy costly why not try the sunfilms from your car na actually you will get lot of cheaper options online. Have a look on ebay. Im sure lot of anti glare films are available at 300 to 800 inr price bracket.
What one does mistake is when they see in the showroom they feel wow the display is gorgeous. They dont realise that all the Apple products have light coming from the backside as a result of this you wont notice the gloss. Check out the imagine store. They almost always use diffused light.

Cheers.
Old 22nd June 2012, 12:01   #969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mantri mall fellows had told me matte display was available...... Check out the imagine store. They almost always use diffused light......
I have been there twice, once to check the measurement of the Mac 21" and second for picking up the keypad protector and a sleeve for MBPro. I specifically asked for matte finish screen possibility and they said its not available in India. My MBpro was picked up from Croma and the salesguy said same thing. Diffused light is perfect, I cant risk pasting sunfilms or similar things as 90% works are photo processing. It will kill the entire calibration and my final product to clients

Last edited by shajufx : 22nd June 2012 at 12:02.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 16:50   #970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I have been there twice, once to check the measurement of the Mac 21" and second for picking up the keypad protector and a sleeve for MBPro. I specifically asked for matte finish screen possibility and they said its not available in India. My MBpro was picked up from Croma and the salesguy said same thing. Diffused light is perfect, I cant risk pasting sunfilms or similar things as 90% works are photo processing. It will kill the entire calibration and my final product to clients
Check your inbox. Mail this guy and see if he can solve the matte availability problem.
Cheers
Old 22nd June 2012, 22:25   #971
BHPian

Just saw on ebay. MBP retina low end model for 139900 instead of 152000. @rachitkdogra hope this solves your problem.
Cheers
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:17   #972
BHPian

Guys, how can I partition my MAC without losing anything ? Basically I want my 500GB HDD to be partitioned into 2, like in Windows. So I can use the second partition for backup purposes. Any ideas ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 11:34   #973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
Guys, how can I partition my MAC without losing anything ? Basically I want my 500GB HDD to be partitioned into 2, like in Windows. So I can use the second partition for backup purposes. Any ideas ?
I don't know how to partition but, why would you backup on the same physical disc? Isn't it self defeating in case of disc failure?
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:09   #974
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
I don't know how to partition but, why would you backup on the same physical disc? Isn't it self defeating in case of disc failure?
Disk Utility in MacOS can do it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 16:16   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Kind of lazy to get an external hard disk drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Disk Utility in MacOS can do it.
Yes, I know that. But wanted to know how to do it, without messing my lion.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote