Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th June 2012, 06:35   #976
Senior - BHPian

So what do you chaps think if I buy a 11 or 13 incher MacBook Pro with 500 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM - marginal discount plus maybe Office software for Mac thrown in.
This is the one that was recently on promo for Rs 69900/- and is a 4 month old display piece which will get reset, cleaned and come with warranty from one of the imagine stores.

Reason I am asking is that I want to move to apple and I will use this as my all in all business and leisure companion along with all the other apple toys i have, the ipad, ipod touch and apple tv etc. One day I may go to an iPhone too but not now. I am literally wanting to transit out of windows. And added to it, I dropped my regular daily use Dell yesterday and cracked it. Needs to get its case repaired otherwise it is working fine. But it is rather ancient and dated.

Now, my usage is mostly word, excel, ppt type stuff at work along with email for which I use outlook express or something. Home use is mostly for the itunes library, the apps that will anyway get synced across apple machines and a bit of entertainment here and there. Main reason for considering apple is the design elegance and Im sick of windows conventional rubbish.

I will also wish to backup my nokia phone onto the comp now and then and use those backups as required whenever I upgrade to any other phone, be it a Nokia or an iphone or whatever. I use a sony camera on which I take tons of photos on holidays etc and I will want to store those pics on the comp as well as my external HDD.

I will use the macbook for making presentations when I go to my customers etc too. For this I shall buy that special cord.

As you can see, my usage is normal basic stuff without all this high end gaming and all that jazz.

In a scenario of this sort, this particular machine seemed to be the absolute right one, but by the time I made my decisions etc, it looks like the blessed thing is sold out everywhere. Obviously it was an attractive deal.

Inputs would be greatly appreciated n this. Else I am really in no hurry and am quite happy to wait a bit longer and chug along with the old dell after getting it sorted.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 07:01   #977
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now, my usage is mostly word, excel, ppt type stuff at work along with email for which I use outlook express or something. Home use is mostly for the itunes library, the apps that will anyway get synced across apple machines and a bit of entertainment here and there. Main reason for considering apple is the design elegance and Im sick of windows conventional rubbish.

Since its mainly for travel and MS Office styled thing, you should also look at the Air.
Way more compact and perfect travel companion.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 07:07   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Since its mainly for travel and MS Office styled thing, you should also look at the Air.
Way more compact and perfect travel companion.
Thanks. I will tell you why I dont like the Air.

It is priced similarly and doesnt have a hard disk at all - I require all my documents to be stored because this will be my primary and actually, my only machine because I will give off the Dell to my Dad who wants a machine for his iTunes and so on and some storage and documentation work etc.
If I buy an Air, I shall have to buy an external HDD with it and that also costs a bit.

For lightness of purpose I have my iPad2 which I carry all over the place anyway. I can at a pinch make a presentation through dropbox on my iPad ecause I have that special cord which connects to the projector. So effectively the Air is too much like the iPad for my comfort and does not offer as much as the MacBook Pro all things considered, at the same price.

And for fun and games I have my iPod touch.

This is why that MacBook Pro came to mind.
So what do you think?
Old 27th June 2012, 07:32   #979
Senior - BHPian

And I assume you don't want an iMac or Mac mini? A nice big 27" screen for the home and an iPad for the road.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 10:35   #980
BHPian

Quote:
So what do you chaps think if I buy a 11 or 13 incher MacBook Pro with 500 GB HDD and 4 GB RAM - marginal discount plus maybe Office software for Mac thrown in.
This is the one that was recently on promo for Rs 69900/- and is a 4 month old display piece which will get reset, cleaned and come with warranty from one of the imagine stores.

Reason I am asking is that I want to move to apple and I will use this as my all in all business and leisure companion along with all the other apple toys i have, the ipad, ipod touch and apple tv etc. One day I may go to an iPhone too but not now. I am literally wanting to transit out of windows. And added to it, I dropped my regular daily use Dell yesterday and cracked it. Needs to get its case repaired otherwise it is working fine. But it is rather ancient and dated.

I will also wish to backup my nokia phone onto the comp now and then and use those backups as required whenever I upgrade to any other phone, be it a Nokia or an iphone or whatever. I use a sony camera on which I take tons of photos on holidays etc and I will want to store those pics on the comp as well as my external HDD.

I will use the macbook for making presentations when I go to my customers etc too. For this I shall buy that special cord.

As you can see, my usage is normal basic stuff without all this high end gaming and all that jazz.

In a scenario of this sort, this particular machine seemed to be the absolute right one, but by the time I made my decisions etc, it looks like the blessed thing is sold out everywhere. Obviously it was an attractive deal.

Inputs would be greatly appreciated n this. Else I am really in no hurry and am quite happy to wait a bit longer and chug along with the old dell after getting it sorted.
I have bought my first Mac Book Pro a couple of weeks ago. It was the late 2011 model and it came with a good discount and a couple of good vouchers. It is a 13 inch model and I like the machine every bit. Somehow, I did not like the concept and design of the Air. Accept that it is light and has better specs. But I feel that with the iPad, I do not need the Air. To me, the Air is an iPad with physical keyboard. For that reason, I like the recently released next generation Mac Book Pro which is thinner. But Apple only has the 15 inch models available. I will never buy a laptop with 15 inch. 13 or 14 is my limit.

My advice - If you are in need to a Laptop, go for the Mac Book Pro old model. If not wait for a couple of months and we will have the new 13 inch models with retina display.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 11:46   #981
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
My advice - If you are in need to a Laptop, go for the Mac Book Pro old model. If not wait for a couple of months and we will have the new 13 inch models with retina display.

I think there is no 13 inch model with Retina display being released. Only 15 inch Retina is available.
From that point of view 1200 $ 13 inch is a good deal. But then if one is a travel person, you can customize
for a 13 inch Air too.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 11:59   #982
Senior - BHPian

Great inputs guys thanks!

Amp: like joe says, for me the Air is like an iPad with a key board and I anyway have an ipad2.
I do need some HDD space for my stuff. I also need an integrated Cd DvD drive.
The MacBook made a lot of sense at the price.
If I buy an Air I shall have to buy an external Cd drive and a bunch of other things which will also cost a lot.

Khanak: I dont like homebound desktops. Also cannot manage with an iPad alone for travel because I constantly need to work on documents and tweak them etc and it is not just a lot of email. Always preferred portable machinery. Anyway there is no need for a machine at home per se because wife and I have pur own personal laptops. And my folks have their iPad2 and a desktop at their home.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th June 2012 at 12:08.
Old 27th June 2012, 14:11   #983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
Great inputs guys thanks!

Amp: like joe says, for me the Air is like an iPad with a key board and I anyway have an ipad2.
I do need some HDD space for my stuff. I also need an integrated Cd DvD drive.
The MacBook made a lot of sense at the price.
If I buy an Air I shall have to buy an external Cd drive and a bunch of other things which will also cost a lot.
shankar.balan, the Air is a real computing machine, far beyond what an iPad can do for you! Except for storage size, an Air supersedes the MacBook in every other way! I am sure there must be some use for DVD Drives for you, but most of us have stopped using the optical drive completely! Also, if your storage size needs are not portable, you can "lug" the Air around while traveling, without the added weight!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 20:50   #984
BHPian

Guys i visited imagine store today. Seems like they are going to have the macbook retina ready by friday 29th. Even the display ones havent arrived. Plus they are giving an educational discount of 6%.
Price list is also available with them. 512gb one is 152400rs the highest one is 192000 IIRC.
Cheers
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 21:33   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91

shankar.balan, the Air is a real computing machine, far beyond what an iPad can do for you! Except for storage size, an Air supersedes the MacBook in every other way! I am sure there must be some use for DVD Drives for you, but most of us have stopped using the optical drive completely! Also, if your storage size needs are not portable, you can "lug" the Air around while traveling, without the added weight!
Thank you adroit. Ampere too says the same. And he also says that the Air does all that the Pro can do too. Except one has to buy an external CD or DVD drive if required.
So Im easy with it. I will fiddle with it a bit this week and we will decide.
Cheers.
Old 28th June 2012, 05:26   #986
Senior - BHPian

Will a good spec 13 incher MacBook Air with 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM, do the job for me as described in my earlier query?
As against the 500GB HDD MacBook Pro which comes with built in CD Drive and 4 GB RAM?

If so, I will buy one. I like the incredible lightness of being that comes with it. I appreciate that while it may seem like an iPad with a keyboard, it is really pretty much as good as a MacBook Pro, but incredibly lighter. I now understand the advantage of the SSD memory with no moving parts etc.

I must clarify I don't do photo and video editing etc. I am a mere consumer of such data, not a worker on such data.

I will require all the following:

Business: maybe 100 to 120GB of data files.
Plenty Documents and folders storage - word, excel, ppt and email and all the work stuff
Ability to work easily on ppt, word, excel files with minimal pain.
Presentations using a projector and whatever dongle is needed
To connect to internet in non wi fi environments using a speed usb modem like reliance or something.
To connect to internet in office through LAN

Personal: maybe another 70 to 80 GB of data files.
Watch youtube, movies, news etc.
Play some games too like I do on my iPad.
Entertainment functions such as storing all my itunes and movies etc on its person, for synchronization with the other i devices.
How will I import my New CD's into my iTunes without a CD drive?
I am still an old fashioned music collector and I like optical media - there is a certain quality and feel to an original CD or DVD when compared to some anonymous USB stick!
I guess my external backup HDD will also connect to the Mac using the USB interface.
Downloading and storage of photos from my camera using USB interface cord.
Downloading and backing up my Nokia phone which uses Symbian Belle again through an USB interface cord. I am as of now staying with Nokia because of their cameras.
Downloading and updating my Garmin SatNav device now and then, with map updates. Again through an USB cord.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th June 2012 at 05:28.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:34   #987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
I will require all the following:

How will I import my New CD's into my iTunes without a CD drive?
As far as I know, with a separate piece of software (free, from Apple) Airs can share CD/DVD drives from other computers. Definitely possible on Macs but you want to check for Windows! (Here you go: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287 )

Also, you may want to reduce the number of files you carry for optimum usage of the SSD space, and maybe utilize one of the cloud storage services. I live Dropbox for it's simplicity!!

The "Pro" machines are definitely better in performance, but only for GPU intensive work these days, not for your average office load.

Last edited by adroit_91 : 28th June 2012 at 10:37.
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:02   #988
Senior - BHPian

Hi

Thanks.
  • I can buy an external CD/ DVD drive. No problem.
  • I will buy or demand the Office for Mac - suite - where I can work on, read and edit windows files and so on.
  • I will buy the cords that are needed for making presentations etc.
  • I might also buy the Apple Work Suite - whatever it is called.
  • As long as the Mac Air will read the DVD and CD that I place in that drive and plug in via USB. (I do not use pirated things - Hate them in fact.)
  • As long as the Mac Air will read stuff out of a Pen Drive I can lug around a large cap Pen Drive with me Or my External HDD if required.
  • I do use DropBox a lot yes, but keeping track of file version controls are a pain. Im old fashioned and hence use folderized filing systems on my HDD on the comp.
  • What does GPU intensive work mean? Im a standard normal maladroit sort of consumer of data and info. I know very little by way of these acronyms and things. Please enlighten.
  • I do not think I can get into editing pictures and photos and videos and things.
  • I will use the Mac Air as a conduit to download my camera photos and videos and my phone backups etc. And I will in turn shove all of that into the external HDD except for some stuff which I want to access handily.
  • I will want to leave my iTunes onboard the Mac Air itself because that is one thing that will get updated quite regularly. This argues quite a stack of space being needed for the apps, music and photos and videos within iTunes itself. And this is because this iTunes will be the primary sync point for all my other apple toys.
My main query. Can this Mac Air effectively be my only primary machine. Or is it better to buy a MacBook Pro and replace my elderly Dell once and for all with that?

If based on my usage patterns as described earlier, the answer to the above Q1 is Yes, then I shall consider the Mac Air.

If not, I shall be forced to waddle off in the direction of the MacBook Pro.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
As far as I know, with a separate piece of software (free, from Apple) Airs can share CD/DVD drives from other computers. Definitely possible on Macs but you want to check for Windows! (Here you go: DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc )

Also, you may want to reduce the number of files you carry for optimum usage of the SSD space, and maybe utilize one of the cloud storage services. I live Dropbox for it's simplicity!!

The "Pro" machines are definitely better in performance, but only for GPU intensive work these days, not for your average office load.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
As far as I know, with a separate piece of software (free, from Apple) Airs can share CD/DVD drives from other computers. Definitely possible on Macs but you want to check for Windows! (Here you go: DVD or CD sharing: Using Remote Disc )

Old 28th June 2012, 20:39   #989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If based on my usage patterns as described earlier, the answer to the above Q1 is Yes, then I shall consider the Mac Air.
If not, I shall be forced to waddle off in the direction of the MacBook Pro.
Cheers
I may not understand the entire description of your requirement, but just putting my 2 cents as a MBPro 15" non-retina user. My main purpose of choosing a Pro over Air was the DVD drive, larger hard disk, more RAM, faster processor, hard core photo/video editing etc. Present MBPro retina version has thrown out the DVD drive and few other external ports. So, spec wise the differences have reduced. This is just a personal observation, friends please correct if I have given any wrong info.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 21:31   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
I may not understand the entire description of your requirement, but just putting my 2 cents as a MBPro 15" non-retina user. My main purpose of choosing a Pro over Air was the DVD drive, larger hard disk, more RAM, faster processor, hard core photo/video editing etc. Present MBPro retina version has thrown out the DVD drive and few other external ports. So, spec wise the differences have reduced. This is just a personal observation, friends please correct if I have given any wrong info.
Very clear indeed.
I believe that I don't need the built in DVD drive. Why carry something around that one won't use much? Better for me to have an external drive to use as required.
Larger HDD can be dealt with by an external HDD - again I don't need to lug it about.
More RAM is fine - can be done on Air as well I guess. Say 4 GB should do the trick eh?
I believe the processor on the Air is pretty quick too. I don't need very heavy computing power really because I do not do development work, programs and stuff. My use is primarily business computing and a lot of browsing and personal jazz.
I don't do hard core video and photo edit work and do not need to in my kind of work anyway.
I do need a few USB ports, the regular LAN port and fire wire and all that jazz.

With all this can I get by with an good specced super light, super stylish, razor sharp little Air as my primary instead of buying a 2.5 kg heavy Pro? And my iPad2 as my secondary and fun machine?