Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 3rd July 2012, 11:13   #1021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan
Guys i had asked this earlier also but got no reply.

What is the price of Macbook Air 2012 models? Also what is the price of the pro 13 incher?
Here you go.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120703_111239.png
Views: 249
Size:  639.0 KB
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:19   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Here you go.
Thanks for the list. what do you suggest is a better buy? A 13 inch pro or a 13 inch air?

Requirements are : everyday usage, facetime, skype and microsoft office.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:31   #1023
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the list. what do you suggest is a better buy? A 13 inch pro or a 13 inch air?

Shankar.balan sir recently bought the air and he is pretty happy with it. You wouldnt need a dvd drive so Mac Air should be alright. Previous posts have mentioned in detail what you should opt for.
Regards.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:43   #1024
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Congratulations!

If you are just trying to just view a single photo, use Preview, not iPhoto. iPhoto is album-oriented. Double-clicking on a image file (jpg, tiff, png etc.) usually opens it in Preview. Even the Right-click "Open with" menu doesn't list iPhoto as an app that can handle a single file.

The alternative is to create a temporary album to which you can add a single file and delete it when not required (e.g. after touching up the image).

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Will make a temporary Album in iPhoto and use this album to Edit photos and once edited will paste them wherever I want.

One more question guys:
Right now on my Windows machine I have a Songs folder which has all my songs folderwise. For putting songs in my IPhone through iTunes I only add files/folders in iTunes that I need to put in my Iphone.

Now that I have a Macbook and iTunes is the default player for music, I am assuming that wheneven I need to play a song I need to add it to iTunes. That means basically adding all my songs library to iTunes. But I dont want to put this complete library to my iPhone. Also I dont want to go through the laborious process of deselecting songs that I dont want to sync with iPhone. Any advices and information as how can I achieve this.

What I want to achieve is basically having two libraries for music. One for iPhone and one with complete set of songs.

Also please pour in with your suggestions for some good Mac applications.

Thanks
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:49   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
What I want to achieve is basically having two libraries for music. One for iPhone and one with complete set of songs.
Create an adhoc playlist. Sync only this playlist to iPhone. Whenever you want to add a song to iPhone then add it to the iPhone playlist.
Cheers.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 17:58   #1026
BHPian

Quote:

M5_fan, we wouldn't know what your everyday usage is.
would you watch a lot of movies? Media editing?
Will you be looking to update the RAM or HDD at a later time? Why the MBA? If you are a consumer then MBA, if prosumer then MBP.

For some, weight is an issue.

I assume you would never need to connect the LAN wire. Almost everybody has WiFi at home these days. Would you be using it in an environment that has only LAN connectivity?
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 18:30   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon

M5_fan, we wouldn't know what your everyday usage is.
would you watch a lot of movies? Media editing?
Will you be looking to update the RAM or HDD at a later time? Why the MBA? If you are a consumer then MBA, if prosumer then MBP.

For some, weight is an issue.

I assume you would never need to connect the LAN wire. Almost everybody has WiFi at home these days. Would you be using it in an environment that has only LAN connectivity?
No movies, no media editing, update shall only be required if the OS ever becomes sluggish (aka windows-like).

Weight is an issue as i travel a lot. My everyday usage is just browsing and MS office. But then for total weight i need to add the weight of an external DVD drive and HDD also in case of MBA but not in case of MBP.

LAN cable is never required. I am thinking of getting the air 11.6" 128 GB from the US, its about 10K cheaper there IIRC.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:04   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig

Shankar.balan sir recently bought the air and he is pretty happy with it. You wouldnt need a dvd drive so Mac Air should be alright. Previous posts have mentioned in detail what you should opt for.
Regards.
Pal. Please don't call me Sir and so on! It just isn't warranted.

Yes, I bought an Air. i also bought a 1 TB External Hard Drive for storage.

And the Mac SuperDrive DVD and CD external reader/ writer.

Plus a couple of cords which help in making presentations and the standard reliance internet stick because wi fi is not always available nor free.

Since I bought it, I only carry the MacBook Air, my normal phone and my Ipad wherever I go. I leave all the other fiddlies at home. I also carry a nice pen and diary because I like taking notes in meetings.

Feels good to travel light.

And feels really very good indeed to have such an aesthetically pleasing machine!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 13:43   #1029
BHPian

I am facing one more issue with my new Macbook.
I want to play avi files in Quick Time. I downloaded the WM PLayer plugin also but still not able to play AVI files in Quick TIme. I have downloaded the VLC Player and it is working fine. But still any pointers to how can I make QuickTime read more formats would be nice.

Also is there a way where I can make a specific type of files open with one application?
Old 4th July 2012, 14:48   #1030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I want to play avi files in Quick Time. I downloaded the WM PLayer plugin also but still not able to play AVI files in Quick TIme. I have downloaded the VLC Player and it is working fine. But still any pointers to how can I make QuickTime read more formats would be nice.

Also is there a way where I can make a specific type of files open with one application?
Hi Rachit,

Open the Information of file (Control + Click on the File and select Get Info) and there is option to select the Open With..
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 15:16   #1031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
Install Perian. Also, I suggest you try MPlayerX from the Mac App Store. Works like a classier version of VLC!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 15:44   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
Hi Rachit,

Open the Information of file (Control + Click on the File and select Get Info) and there is option to select the Open With..
I did try this. What it does is opens that only file in future in the desired application. What I want is a specific type of files to all open in the desired application. Example: If I open an avi movie in vlc and select that from future open this file in vlc it will open that file in vlc. what I want is an option where all avi files can be opened in vlc by default.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
Install Perian. Also, I suggest you try MPlayerX from the Mac App Store. Works like a classier version of VLC!
I have been reading about perian. Will definately give it a try and will also look at MPlayerX.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 4th July 2012, 16:23   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did try this. What it does is opens that only file in future in the desired application. What I want is a specific type of files to all open in the desired application. Example: If I open an avi movie in vlc and select that from future open this file in vlc it will open that file in vlc. what I want is an option where all avi files can be opened in vlc by default.

Thanks

I have been reading about perian. Will definately give it a try and will also look at MPlayerX.

Thanks for the suggestion.
There is option to Change All in 10.7.4.

Which OS are you using & Which file you want to change?

I have installed & tried Perian, MplayerX and VLC and using VLC for all most all videos.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 17:09   #1034
BHPian

Quote:

Right click the file, click Get Info. There is an option to change the file type to application association (check the screenshot).

iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20120704-5.05.43-pm.png

Why are you so particular about QuickTime? VLC and MPlayerX both are very capable players.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 17:20   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Right click the file, click Get Info. There is an option to change the file type to application association (check the screenshot).

Attachment 951071

Why are you so particular about QuickTime? VLC and MPlayerX both are very capable players.

Thanks for the help. Actually even I have started realizing this fact. Even on my windows machine I somehow never liked Quicktime. Will install the MplayerX.

Thanks for the screenshot.