Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th July 2012, 10:31   #1036
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Any suggestions on a Good Audio Player? Something like Winamp.

Also can you please let me know some regular maitenance tips to keep the mac performing fast. Something like Disk defragmentor or clearing of temp files and prefetch folders in windows.

Thanks
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 11:04   #1037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
Any suggestions on a Good Audio Player? Something like Winamp.

Also can you please let me know some regular maitenance tips to keep the mac performing fast. Something like Disk defragmentor or clearing of temp files and prefetch folders in windows.

Thanks
What happened to iTunes friend? Looks like you are turning your Mac experience into a windows one. Just kidding.

For defragmenting you should check this link out. Why you should not defrag your SSD.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/featured-pos...defrag-an-ssd/

My win7 lappy for 3 years has not required defragmentation till now. Everytime i analyse report says not required to defragment. But it must be TuneUp doing it in the background for me.

Cheers
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 11:28   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
What happened to iTunes friend? Looks like you are turning your Mac experience into a windows one. Just kidding.

For defragmenting you should check this link out. Why you should not defrag your SSD.
Should You Defrag an SSD?

My win7 lappy for 3 years has not required defragmentation till now. Everytime i analyse report says not required to defragment. But it must be TuneUp doing it in the background for me.

Cheers
Actually I am using iTunes, but only for my iPhone libarary. I dont want to put my whole song library in iTunes. Hence wanted to know of some other good Audio Player. Will be using iTunes only most of the times. But sometimes if I want to listen to anything which I dont want to put in iTunes library just for that purposes. I agree for the comfortability factor I am linking things the Windows way. It will take sometime to get used to the Mac way

I was not actually asking for defragmantation for Mac. I was just asking that like in windows we used to defrag anything that we need to do periodically in Mac for the performance. Just some periodic maintenance tips for MAC OS.

Thanks for your advices..
Old 5th July 2012, 11:32   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post

I was not actually asking for defragmantation for Mac. I was just asking that like in windows we used to defrag anything that we need to do periodically in Mac for the performance. Just some periodic maintenance tips for MAC OS.

Thanks for your advices..
All I do is repair disk permissions once in few months. Go to Disk Utility and repair disk permissions for your start-up disk.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 21:41   #1040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Your Mac does defragmentation on-the-fly, as you use the computer. Your most frequently accessed files/applications are kept at an arm's length for quicker access!

You don't need to "maintain" it as such, but in case you "want to", you may give Onyx (free) a shot!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 21:49   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91

Your Mac does defragmentation on-the-fly, as you use the computer. Your most frequently accessed files/applications are kept at an arm's length for quicker access!

You don't need to "maintain" it as such, but in case you "want to", you may give Onyx (free) a shot!
But thats called indexing right and nothing similar to defragging. Indexing helps you find files faster something similar to using page markers to find topics in a book at a later date.

And he is got an SSD so i doubt if he requires periodic maintenance other than the regular deleting of unused files and clearing caches. Check my previous post regarding this.
Parthasarathig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 23:26   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra

Actually I am using iTunes, but only for my iPhone libarary. I dont want to put my whole song library in iTunes. Hence wanted to know of some other good Audio Player. Will be using iTunes only most of the times. But sometimes if I want to listen to anything which I dont want to put in iTunes library just for that purposes.
You could try changing your iPhone settings on iTunes to Manually Manage. That way, even if your entire library is on iTunes, you could drag and drop just the music you want to your iPhone. You'll find this far easier in the long run, I think.
Orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 07:09   #1043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
But thats called indexing right and nothing similar to defragging. Indexing helps you find files faster something similar to using page markers to find topics in a book at a later date.

And he is got an SSD so i doubt if he requires periodic maintenance other than the regular deleting of unused files and clearing caches. Check my previous post regarding this.
You are right. An SSD should NOT require defragmenting, rather, it may become counter productive to the SSD's inherent algorithms for data access speed up!

By design, UNIX based sytems (unless you're using FAT/FAT32), should not require defragmentation. See Why doesn't Linux need defragmenting? for details and a nice example!
adroit_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 18:28   #1044
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the suggestions and advices.

I did some searching on the internet also and I have found only one thing and that is Reparing Disk Permissions. Will try to do this once in a month types.

Also for the Audio player I installed Audinirvana free and found it to be really excellent. Plus luckily it is similar to winamp in the way you can load songs in the playlist.

I was also able to format my external disk. I created 2 FAT partitions for times where I might need to connect to a Windows machine and rest was formatted to MAC format. Also started Time Machine backup for the same.

Now I am just waiting for softwares like Photoshop and iWork to be Retina aware so that I can install them too. Waiting for Mountain Lion too as it is supposed to be even better for Retina Display Macbook in terms of performance.

Now that I have gotten a hang of things plus some Keyboard shortcuts 'I am Loving it'. This machine is Fast. Also the data transfer from my external hard disk is also pretty fast. Will keep on exploring more.

Thanks for the help guys!!
Old 12th July 2012, 15:14   #1045
F50
Senior - BHPian

My MBP is running in its 11th month and Apple Care Protection Plan is due.

I called up Apple India and they quoted 15,230/- for 2 years! Now today got email from Apple US (as MBP was purchased from US) they quoted $249 plus tax for 3 years!

APCC is valid worldwide so makes sense buying from US for the additional year?
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 15:21   #1046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
My MBP is running in its 11th month and Apple Care Protection Plan is due.

I called up Apple India and they quoted 15,230/- for 2 years! Now today got email from Apple US (as MBP was purchased from US) they quoted $249 plus tax for 3 years!

APCC is valid worldwide so makes sense buying from US for the additional year?
Check again. It would be 3 years from the original date of purchase. All APCCs are valid for additional 2 years over the first year warranty which is standard.

The APCC is a total rip off IMO. Chances are you will never need it. And if you do, the actual expenses are likely to be much lower. Unless you have a cracked screen or major physical damage.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 15:48   #1047
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Check again. It would be 3 years from the original date of purchase. All APCCs are valid for additional 2 years over the first year warranty which is standard.

The APCC is a total rip off IMO. Chances are you will never need it. And if you do, the actual expenses are likely to be much lower. Unless you have a cracked screen or major physical damage.
Yes. I stand corrected. Its 3 years from date of purchase of your hardware product. I missed the word 'product'.

Its kinda mixed bag feeling. Many say its waste, many say its worth it because Apple is well know for charging crazy prices for repairs. I guess there was one example couple of pages back and looking at the prices I was bit

Most probably I'll opt for it as my luck with electronics never seem to be good.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 13:27   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Default Mail issue

I have time to time 'pop up' mail error mainly on yahoo set up, asking for password, it happens few times a day. My Mail version is 5.2 (1278). Any suggestion or troubleshooting tip appreciated. I will take a screen shot next time it pops up, if required.

Last edited by shajufx : 17th July 2012 at 13:29.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 17:03   #1049
BHPian

Default OS X Mountain Lion

Bought and installed OS X Mountain Lion this afternoon. Installation was a breeze, downloading 4 some GB's took time (internet speed!). I wanted to do clean install, but the process requires quite some time and know how. Let me know if anyone is successful in doing a clean install. Try the new OS mates, it's worth the money spend ($19.99).

Regards
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2012, 16:46   #1050
BHPian

Yeah. Even I have recieved my Free code for the upgrade to Mountain Lion. Will be upgrading in a couple of days. So it will be a complete new install which means I would need to install my apps again or it will sync them from my back up?