Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th September 2012, 18:21   #1081
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hi guys! I have a late 2010 white Macbook. I've had only two problems. One is the frustrating job of keeping the laptop white and other was my bottom case which came off. Apple replaced it for free. Other than that not a single problem.

I currently run OS X Lion, and have pretty much the same speed as that of Snow Leopard. That's right, no 'slowness' at all. And I have a 2GB ram. All that I do on my computer is MATLAB, my college notes, podcasts, internet and some games. A lot of people told me about iphoto and other native apps problems, I have not had any of them.

Last edited by Monolithic : 7th September 2012 at 18:34.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 19:52   #1082
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone managed to use a WD Passport external HDD with a Mac or MBP?
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 20:10   #1083
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Works all the time.
I use it with mountain Lion too.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2012, 20:20   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Works all the time.
I use it with mountain Lion too.

+1
Yes. Works perfect with mountain lion as well.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 08:01   #1085
BHPian

So... new Mac user. Was practically forced to switch because of the need for iOS simulator and some Mac-specific tools/environment at work, and the fact that the rest of the team uses it and I was sticking out like a sore thumb with a Dell-Windows.

Guess what - after a week, i am totally hooked . They gave me a top-of-the-line Retina Macbook Pro with 16 gigs. Now I wonder how I worked with Windows for so long. I cannot even think of going back!

Now I NEED to replace the home computer - which is a 2 year old Netbook that I picked up dirt-cheap for $170 at a black friday deal that is gasping for breath now.

Need some help from you guys deciding. Each combination has some pros and cons. First here are the criteria:
(a) Its purpose is to use on a desk, as a desktop. I have already invested in a desk and a proper computer chair.
(b) Some day I hope to take it back to India.

As you can see, (a) and (b) sort-of contradict each other. So.. that's what makes it a tough decision. Anyway, options I have thought about:

(1) 27-inch iMac - this is the Mac of my dreams. But there's no way I am going to be able to take a 27-inch iMac on any airline. Also, it costs way too much!

(2) Mac Mini with non-Apple display. Hmm. Guess its an option. Would prefer an Apple display though. This option is easy on the pocket though.

(3) iMac 21.5 inch - I am leaning towards this. Its weight/dimensions seem to be someting that would fit in a checkin luggage (am I crazy?). But then, with multiple layers of bubble wrapping and towels... am I crazy or is it doable?
On the bright side, it will give me quad-core, more power than Mac mini, that awesome Apple display and all the Apple wireless accessories for around $1200. Oh and it will look super-sexy too.
What do you think?

(4) Air - Somehow I don't want to spend four digits and get the lower-end in terms of power etc. Also, since it will be used as a desktop, it will not be happy with being plugged in all the time, will it? I read that laptop batteries have to be used and then powered, not plugged in continuously. Also, I will have to buy things like trackpad / magic mouse, wireless keyboard etc separately. And the display.

(5) Macbook Pro - same as above except it will have power.

(6) Mini with Thunderbolt display - will work out to around $2k but I don't see any advantage in doing this over 27-inch iMac. Has the same "take back to India" concerns because of the size.

All in all sounds like (3) is the best balance. What do you guys think?

OMG, I wasn't even planning a computer replacement till they gave me this Macbook at work. It has totally changed how I look at computers.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2012, 12:04   #1086
Senior - BHPian

I bought my first macbook last month. It's a 13" Macbook Pro running on OS X 10.8.2. I also have office for mac 2011 installed but in Outlook I have tried all possible settings but cannot get my emails to come in their respective folder's. I had created these folder's in my last windows based laptop. Is there some way to get this to work?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 10:13   #1087
BHPian

Hi - A friend had purchased the 24" iMac (way back) in London, and he was able to carry it back to india after about 8 months, as additional cabin luggage.

He packed the computer in the original apple packaging, and it reached India ekdum properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Need some help from you guys deciding. Each combination has some pros and cons. First here are the criteria:
(a) Its purpose is to use on a desk, as a desktop. I have already invested in a desk and a proper computer chair.
(b) Some day I hope to take it back to India.
ladak.imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 12:36   #1088
BHPian

Wow. That really surprises me because the original packaging is huge.

Well... I took the plunge and bought the iMac 21.5".
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 07:59   #1089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Been using external drives with mac for years. Only problem is if the external HDD is formatted in NTFS, mac may not write to it (unless you have a plug in to read/write to NTFS installed). FAT32 works just fine.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 08:22   #1090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Been using external drives with mac for years. Only problem is if the external HDD is formatted in NTFS, mac may not write to it (unless you have a plug in to read/write to NTFS installed). FAT32 works just fine.
Nowadays most external HDDs come with support for Mac, meaning they provide NTFS drivers installer for Mac. At least the Seagate HDD I bought last year did.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 08:31   #1091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Nowadays most external HDDs come with support for Mac, meaning they provide NTFS drivers installer for Mac. At least the Seagate HDD I bought last year did.
Oh. That is nice to know. Last external HDD I bought was a Western Digital and was bought in 2010 and it did not come with NTFS driver for Mac.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 08:48   #1092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
Oh. That is nice to know. Last external HDD I bought was a Western Digital and was bought in 2010 and it did not come with NTFS driver for Mac.
I did a quick search on Google and it appears that WD doesn't provide any NTFS drivers for Mac.

Seagate does - http://www.seagate.com/support/exter...-os-master-dl/
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 14:39   #1093
BHPian

AFAIK none of the HDD brands provide NTFS drivers. I use Paragon NTFS for Mac on both my iMac & MBP. Its fine to use NTFS for normal data backup, but if you plan to use it for Time Machine Backup it'll need to be formatted as Mac OS Journaled.
kumar_gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:18   #1094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Did you get a DVD or did you upgrade over net?
Does downloading over net continue if the download gets interrupted? I am afraid that interrupted downloads will bankrupt my broadband limit
Yes, internet download continues from where it left off, so nothing to worry.
swiftdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 09:37   #1095
BHPian

I recently updated to Mountain Lion 10.8 and believe me, its damn fast..in eating my battery

App store says there is an update 10.8.2 which had fixes for this, but I am not able to download them successfully using the great DoCoMo BB. Anyway I can get a direct link for the same.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote