Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st February 2013, 02:32   #1141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrjun View Post

I use this program http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

Works well. it's a paid app though
+1 to that! Stable software. Never crashed on me!

If you want to go the open source way, search for NTFS-3G drivers. Caution: installation is not for the faint hearted!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 00:34   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I have a WD 1 TB drive (NTFS) with my collection and Mac does not write to NTFS. How do I overcome this?
I came across some apps like Tuxera and NTFS-G. Are these apps good enough or using windows is the only option?
I have around 100 GB of MP3 files which need to be accessible in all the user accounts. Is the 'Shared' folder the only option I have?

Any other recommended apps? I am very new to Apple and I miss the home/end/page up/page down keys as well!
I am using Tuxera NTFS and it is working like charm. Give it a try.

Quote:
Quit iTunes.
Locate your iTunes Media Folder. (This folder may instead be named "iTunes Music" if your iTunes Library was created before iTunes 9). By default, the iTunes Media folder is stored in one of the following locations:
~/Music/iTunes
~/Documents/iTunes/
Note: "~" represents your Home folder.

These locations cannot be accessed by other accounts on your computer. In order for other users to be able to access your music, you must move the iTunes Media folder from them to a publicly accessible location.

Drag the iTunes Media folder to a publicly accessible location. The Public folder in your Home folder (~/Public) is a good location, or to another location outside your Home folder that other users have access to, such as /Users/Shared.
Important: Do not move the iTunes folder, the iTunes Library file or the iTunes Library.xml file.

Open iTunes.
From the iTunes menu, choose Preferences.
Click Advanced.
Click the Change button.
In the window that opens, navigate to the location of your iTunes Media folder.
Click Choose.
Repeat these steps for each user account that you want to share music with other users.
Hope it helps.
Mugen_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 21:39   #1143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Picked up a 15" Retina Macbook Pro yesterday.
Got the following as free: superdrive, wireless mouse, 8gb pendrive, sleeve case for the mac, hdmi cable, key board protective cover, palm + trackpad protective cover (Should I use this?)

Few basic questions for the mac gurus:
[*]I always had different partitions on my Dell XPS for music, videos, games etc so that backup and file management is easier. Should I partition the SSD in similar format?[*]How do I share apps between user accounts? For example, I installed Chrome using the admin(my) account but it's not available in the other account.[*]Should I install Windows 8 using the Boot Camp now or can this be done later also when the need arises?[*]Anything else I need to know?
Congratulations
I strongly recommend you buy an external drive and use the time machine (a Osx built in tool) for backup. It's very easy to back up and restore if needed.
rajtheindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 23:38   #1144
VSD
BHPian

Guys i need your help here. I have been using my white Macbook for 3 years without facing a single problem, until now. Just when it goes past the extended warranty, DISASTER, screen damaged.

Name:  image2609372517.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  383.2 KB

It goes off itself and then works if u smack it on the back (1980's TV style). So, moving past that.

It's gonna cost me almost 20k to get it replaced.
I know its almost like buying a new laptop but there is nothing wrong with it and well a new mac doesn't cost less than 80k.

Should i get it fixed from the official apple service centre or i could get a better option elsewhere?
VSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 13:50   #1145
BHPian

I need some help from Mac Gurus. My iBooks Author refuses to show the editing window (the right pane) no matter what I do. All other software work normally. Actually this software is a great tool to create ebook. I tried all templates to no avail.

I will be grateful for any insight. I am on Mountain Lion.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2013, 22:51   #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
and well a new mac doesn't cost less than 80k.
Check eBay price it is 66k less by almost 15k.
vtecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 08:35   #1147
BHPian

I was looking at laptops and my eyes just dropped on the floor when i saw the retina MBP. I am familiarto OS X as i have a mac desktop at home. I have a few doubts which i would like to ask :

1) Can it run windows 7 comfortably using bootcamp with all the features?
2) how is the performance of windows on it?
3) can we get a VGA adapter with it? If yes, then how much it costs?
4) is the extended warranty worth it? Coz it costs 15 k.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:06   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
3) can we get a VGA adapter with it? If yes, then how much it costs?
The new Macs come with thunderbolt port (mini Display port).
You get mini display to VGA adapters which you need to buy separately I think. But yes, its available.

Quote:
4) is the extended warranty worth it? Coz it costs 15 k.

Its always good to buy the extended warranty. The good part is you need not buy it at the time of purchase. But you need to get it done WITHOUT FAIL before the first year ends after the date of purchase. Even one day more, they treat the warranty as void.

Last edited by ampere : 9th April 2013 at 09:07.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 13:12   #1149
Senior - BHPian

I have been running Windows7 on my MacBook Pro since the day I bought it, no issues pe se.
Quote:
1) Can it run windows 7 comfortably using bootcamp with all the features?

It works like it did on the Dell Latitude that I was using earlier.
Quote:
2) how is the performance of windows on it?
The only annoying bit is the display. The display on the Mac side is far superior compared to the Windows side but then that might be deliberate
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 21:45   #1150
BHPian

So is the 13" retina a good buy for me? Or should i go for the 13" regular MBP? Considering the factors mentioned in my earlier post.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 09:27   #1151
BHPian

My warranty was to expire on April 7th. After much thought, went to Aptronix on 6th evening and purchased the Apple Care Protection Plan. Now I am safe till 2015

The reason I took the plunge at the last moment is, my display is having kind of dead pixels. To see it, I need to place a black color wallpaper, increase the brightness to max and need to be in a dark room. Explained the same to Apple guys and they asked me to first take the extended warranty and then bring to them to analyse. Did anyone notice similar to this ?

Plan costed me Rs. 15230/-
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 12:21   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Depends, if you want your eyes dropping to the floor get the retina otherwise the reglar will do the same job.

Quote:
So is the 13" retina a good buy for me? Or should i go for the 13" regular MBP? Considering the factors mentioned in my earlier post.

Quote:
QUICKHEAL FOR MAC
Has anyone tried this or its beta that was distributed free last April..?
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 18:09   #1153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Quote:
QUICKHEAL FOR MAC
Has anyone tried this or its beta that was distributed free last April..?
Why would anyone need an AV software for a Unix-based OS like MacOS?

The only foreseeable place where it just might have a benefit would be for browsers - but then script blockers work far better, along with advisories in searches about sites known to have malware.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 13:44   #1154
BHPian

Default Mac Time Machine

I have a Mac Mini whose Timemachine backup app refuses to use networked share for backup. Specifically we connect to a Linux Samba share for all networked computers running Windows/Linux. Mac 'sees' the samba share and can read files off it. But it doesn't use this for taking backup. I am new to Mac.

I even installed netatalk in the Linux server to ease the process to no avail. I don't want to spend $$$ for a dedicated external drive for backup.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2013, 14:50   #1155
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mac Time Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Any help would be deeply appreciated.
If you can define a partition and assign that partition to Time machine, that should work. The key I think is you need to assign a space to Time machine.
Just my thoughts. (I use a mac mini but have not used networked drives for Time machine. Hence my comment that its just a thought)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote