Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 13th June 2013, 21:59   #1186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Also is it really needed to have an antivirus installed on Mac ?

Cheers
Congrats! No, you won't be needing an antivirus for your MacBook.

Last edited by Monolithic : 13th June 2013 at 22:01.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 22:52   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post

Congrats! No, you won't be needing an antivirus for your MacBook.
Kool .
Can you let me know how does it take to boot up a MBP . Mine is taking more then a minute , not sure why .
Have tried to set the start disk, remove items from startup but still go .
I think I need to get it checked .
Also, if I upgrade to 16gb ram will it effect warranty by any chance ?
I thinking about upgrading the ram , so was thinking why not to 16 GB directly . But looks like apple only recommends 8gb .

Please advise
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 08:24   #1188
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
I picked up a Mac Book Pro few days back and trying to get a copy of MS office but not able to find anyone who has that .
So wanted to check if any one here can share a copy of the MS office for Mac with me.
Also is it really needed to have an antivirus installed on Mac ?

Cheers
The OS-X is built on a UNIX BSD kernel. So basic security is inbuilt. But there are security issues on MAC too. But the chances I would say are one in ten. In other words its much better than Windows.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:35   #1189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... if I upgrade to 16gb ram will it effect warranty by any chance ? ...
I doubt if they will say anything, since the user is allowed to upgrade RAM (clear instructions provided).

Quote:
... I thinking about upgrading the ram , so was thinking why not to 16 GB directly . But looks like apple only recommends 8gb
There are only 2 slots, so there are limits to what you can put in. 8GB is sufficient for most users. Heavy RAM users are applications like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop etc. These applications also reserve a lot of RAM when in the background, resulting in gradual slowdown.

I don't shutdown my MBP for weeks together (just close the lid and get going). I use an app called Magicanpaster to monitor system parameters. When the MBP feels it is slowing down, I check RAM usage in that App. If free memory is approaching 100MB or less (I have 8GB), I restart the machine.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 11:57   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
If free memory is approaching 100MB or less (I have 8GB), I restart the machine.
In that case you can just run "purge" command from terminal. It clears up unused but occupied memory pages from RAM.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 12:20   #1191
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
... just run "purge" command from terminal. ...
Cool! Thanks. I got back ~1.5GB from the 'inactive' lot!!!
Old 14th June 2013, 12:39   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if they will say anything, since the user is allowed to upgrade RAM (clear instructions provided).
Sure, but i will get it confirmed today as i have taken the extended warranty also and don't want to mess up on that front.
Quote:
Heavy RAM users are applications like MS Office, Adobe Photoshop etc. These applications also reserve a lot of RAM when in the background, resulting in gradual slowdown.
Yes i have installed MS office on my MBP.But when i shutdown the machine, is it not supposed to clear the used memory. 2 min for starting a brand new machine actually doesn't sound good.

Anything you guys suggest me to check before i take the machine to the service center .

Cheers
Old 14th June 2013, 12:46   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Kool .
Can you let me know how does it take to boot up a MBP . Mine is taking more then a minute , not sure why .
Which MBP do you have? More than a minute is definitely not normal for a brand new machine. My 3 years old MBP takes about a minute to boot.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 12:49   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Which MBP do you have? More than a minute is definitely not normal for a brand new machine. My 3 years old MBP takes about a minute to boot.
If i am not wrong its MD101

I Hope this gives the full info
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Cheers
Old 14th June 2013, 12:51   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... 2 min for starting a brand new machine actually doesn't sound good. ...
My previous gen MBP (2011) with Mountain Lion takes more than 1m 30s approx. to boot. Never bothered about the boot time so far, since I seldom shut it down.

If you want really fast boot, replace the HDD with a hybrid or SSHD.
Old 14th June 2013, 13:00   #1196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My previous gen MBP (2011) with Mountain Lion takes more than 1m 30s approx. to boot. Never bothered about the boot time so far, since I seldom shut it down.

If you want really fast boot, replace the HDD with a hybrid or SSHD.
Yup, that's true. But iam not looking for super fast boot timings.
When the machine was few days old, i felt the boot time was fine, but after i updated the OS and installed stuff in that , i am seeing the difference.
I know upgrading the RAM will help, which i am anyways going to do this weekend either 8Gb or 16GB. But even after the RAM uprgade if i don't see any changes then it will not be nice.
So trying to gather as much info as i can before i go ahead with that .

Cheers
Old 14th June 2013, 13:55   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
I know upgrading the RAM will help, which i am anyways going to do this weekend either 8Gb or 16GB. But even after the RAM uprgade if i don't see any changes then it will not be nice.
So trying to gather as much info as i can before i go ahead with that .

Cheers
Mac OS tries to 'guess' what is the best way to run the resident sys and it takes a few booting to get it right - depending upon the user and the applications normally run. So it will improve the boot timing soon enough. Unless you run iMovie and Garageband or other high memory consuming apps your 4 GB memory is enough. Apple's products are quite efficient and work straight off the package without requiring you to download helper applications. I am a convert now after using Windows from the time they had Windows 3.1

I still use Windows - but you soon love the way Apple organizes everything for better productivity. Take for example - it can unzip files, read MS Word/Excel/PPT without needing you to do anything. You have a Dictionary/Thesaurus built in which doesn't need internet connection. Windows is fast catching up - but still needs to go a long distance.
Bottom line is Apple is addictive. Makes you work more productively than ever before.
Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 15:56   #1198
BHPian

Guys need some urgent help. Yesterday my son has sprinkled water on my MBP trackpad, but it was cleaned immediately and then blowed dry. Today morning i turned on my mac, but had trouble using my trackpad. It was a bit hard to navigate. Took a cloth dipped in Colin and cleaned it. It worked, but all of a sudden it got shutdown.
sensing battery dried out, put it on charge, turned on but to no avail. The side battery indicator was lit up all the time, then after some time turned it on and now it doesn't go further to the apple logo.
checked some,solutions and did a PRAM reset, then the apple logo showed with a progress bar. Once it completes, it shuts down. The same repeats everytime i boot into mac. Thought of giving a try with windows, it worked. But the mag safe light is a constant green, which should ideally be amber. Unplugged the mag safe, laptop turns off. Did a search and found the reason that the battery is gone, now the side light indicator doesn't work at all. Tried to boot in to windows to check for battery status, it shows battery not installed.
what should i do now? Please help.
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 16:33   #1199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Guys need some urgent help. Yesterday my son has sprinkled water on my MBP trackpad, but it was cleaned immediately and then blowed dry. Today morning i turned on my mac, but had trouble using my trackpad. It was a bit hard to navigate. Took a cloth dipped in Colin and cleaned it. It worked, but all of a sudden it got shutdown.
sensing battery dried out, put it on charge, turned on but to no avail. The side battery indicator was lit up all the time, then after some time turned it on and now it doesn't go further to the apple logo.
checked some,solutions and did a PRAM reset, then the apple logo showed with a progress bar. Once it completes, it shuts down. The same repeats everytime i boot into mac. Thought of giving a try with windows, it worked. But the mag safe light is a constant green, which should ideally be amber. Unplugged the mag safe, laptop turns off. Did a search and found the reason that the battery is gone, now the side light indicator doesn't work at all. Tried to boot in to windows to check for battery status, it shows battery not installed.
what should i do now? Please help.
Motherboard has been fried, my guess. Same thing happened with me. Take it to AAP. Hope you have ACPP.
jimmyjagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 16:45   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Cool! Thanks. I got back ~1.5GB from the 'inactive' lot!!!
In most situations there is no real need to run purge.

If you have memory in your system your operating system should use it. Otherwise it is just getting wasted. So most operating systems would use the memory for caching the disk and application code.

The OS will automatically choose which apps to purge when you are running low on memory. If you really want to free up memory just shut down unused apps that you may have started but not shutdown, the OS will do the rest.

/sanjay
san9jay is offline   Reply With Quote