Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th July 2013, 17:35   #1231
BHPian

Default iMac Logic Board failure!

My trusted companion - the 2011 iMac failed me this weekend. It turned off randomly while I was working on it and refused to turn back on.

After some initial diagnosis I have understood that the problem is with the logic board. When I push the power button I can hear the fans and HDD power up but the screen remains blank.

Apple wants me to spend 35k for a new logic board which is totally not worth spending on a 2 year old desktop.

I am looking for someone in Chennai who can do chip level service on the iMac.

Can someone tell me how I can go about this!?
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 17:51   #1232
BHPian

Default Re: iMac Logic Board failure!

Wow thats sad! I havent had any problems with my 07 iMac and 09 MBP yet.

A new genuine logicboard costs around 550$ in the states, thats makes it about 33k. Plus if you try to import it duties taxes, installing will go way over 35k.

My suggestion is give it to the authorised service centre. You can get quotes from other apple authorised service dealers look them up on the apple india site.

Alternatively I have heard iRepair India is good. But is situated in banglore. You can get a quote from them. THey do offer a Pick Up service via courier. However i would think twice sending an iMac by courier.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013, 18:09   #1233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Wow thats sad! I havent had any problems with my 07 iMac and 09 MBP yet.

A new genuine logicboard costs around 550$ in the states, thats makes it about 33k. Plus if you try to import it duties taxes, installing will go way over 35k.

My suggestion is give it to the authorised service centre. You can get quotes from other apple authorised service dealers look them up on the apple india site.

Alternatively I have heard iRepair India is good. But is situated in banglore. You can get a quote from them. THey do offer a Pick Up service via courier. However i would think twice sending an iMac by courier.
I am not looking at logic board replacement. I want someone who can do chip level servicing. If not I am going to sell this one for parts and buy myself a new mac.
Old 16th July 2013, 18:14   #1234
BHPian

Try irepair send them the part, im sure they'll do it. It'll be better than sending the iMac.
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 08:38   #1235
BHPian

Hello,

When my 4 year old Acer laptop 16 inch screen went bad, I was on the look out for a trusted service center since Acer did not have 16 inch screens with them.

Found etechies at Valluvarkottam.
Ph: 044-42105421

They do a door pick up and drop.
They also have Chip level servicing.
You can google for etechies.in .Your orders can be tracked too.

I tried out their services 6 months and was pretty satisfied.
Try them.
TorqMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 11:49   #1236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hello,

When my 4 year old Acer laptop 16 inch screen went bad, I was on the look out for a trusted service center since Acer did not have 16 inch screens with them.

Found etechies at Valluvarkottam.
Ph: 044-42105421

They do a door pick up and drop.
They also have Chip level servicing.
You can google for etechies.in .Your orders can be tracked too.

I tried out their services 6 months and was pretty satisfied.
Try them.
I actually did talk to etechies.in and they even came over to have a look but the guy who came over to have a look was fairly clueless about the iMac and even the reviews on the internet were really bad! So I didn't want to take a chance.
Old 17th July 2013, 14:33   #1237
BHPian

Did you try F1 Services, behing Ega theatre. 044-42804332?
TorqMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 18:03   #1238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Did you try F1 Services, behing Ega theatre. 044-42804332?
Not yet! I'm actually clueless about people who do chip level servicing for Apple products. I'd appreciate help of any kind!

I will try F1 Services tomorrow. Let me know if there are other people around Chennai as well.
Old 17th July 2013, 18:58   #1239
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

My MBP logic board fried due to liquid contact. I got similar quote from Apple service centers. But I took a chance and gave it to the premium service centre and they replaced the whole motherboard free of cost, since I had taken the ACPP. Do you have it? If yes, search for the service center who is rated premium and try your luck there.
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 20:56   #1240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My MBP logic board fried due to liquid contact. I got similar quote from Apple service centers. But I took a chance and gave it to the premium service centre and they replaced the whole motherboard free of cost, since I had taken the ACPP. Do you have it? If yes, search for the service center who is rated premium and try your luck there.
Sadly I dont have ACPP! A decision I really regret!!
Old 17th July 2013, 21:08   #1241
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Sadly I dont have ACPP! A decision I really regret!!
Even if you have ACPP, it is not like they solve the problem right away. Those guys have very limited diagnosis skills. They will keep replacing parts until it starts working.

Check my experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2794157 (iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac))
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 21:11   #1242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Even if you have ACPP, it is not like they solve the problem right away. Those guys have very limited diagnosis skills. They will keep replacing parts until it starts working.

Check my experience: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2794157 (iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac))
But at least I will have a working iMac without spending money on it!! And its only replacement and I am quite confident its the logic board which is the problem. So at least in my case its a simple replacement.
Old 18th July 2013, 18:29   #1243
BHPian

Hey guys, its time to upgrade my 6 year old Toshiba satellite laptop, There are no major problems as such, mind you,you would have a tough time telling its that old.Its just that i need more power and its a lil bit difficult to travel around with it.
Always wanted to own a macbook and now i have decided to go for it but confused between 2 models. The latest 2013 macbook air with haswell chips and 2012 Retina macbook pro 13 inch. Other than the usual browsing,mailing and movie stuff, i use photoshop and lightroom and also exploring my hand at video editing but just at a beginner level.I also need to use some 3d medical apps.
Which one do you feel is a better choice. Do i spend 90 grand for the air or a lac and fourteen thousand for the retina.Please advice.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 20:51   #1244
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
Other than the usual browsing,mailing and movie stuff, i use photoshop and lightroom and also exploring my hand at video editing but just at a beginner level.I also need to use some 3d medical apps.
Which one do you feel is a better choice. Do i spend 90 grand for the air or a lac and fourteen thousand for the retina.Please advice.
If you are a heavy user of lightroom/photoshop and if this machine is intended to be your work horse, then I would say take the pro and not the air. Air is a perfect travel companion laptop.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:49   #1245
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Finally, bought Macbook Air 11.6 latest one which was launched recently with Intel Haswell processor.
this is for my wife. experience is really good.

extended warranty for 2 years is worth of 15k after 8% discount. yet to decide on this.

Last edited by Nicky : 22nd July 2013 at 12:50.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote