Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 22nd July 2013, 13:59   #1246
BHPian

Exclamation Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

hi guys
i am in the same dilemma as flipsyde.
my 2011 macbook pro 13 developed a lag and the track pad used to go beserk. i sent it to the apple authorised service centre. they came back saying that the flex cable is faulty. they ordered for a new one and replaced it, but the engineer called me saying the logic board is faulty and will need replacement!
it costs about 36k and i honestly dont think the logic board is a problem.
just that they cannot diagnose the problem, with their limited repair ideology.
can somebody help me with a good repair shop in mumbai?
i am in a desperate state as both my macs have developed snags at the same time (the older 2008 mac book's charging point got burnt along with the charger's contact point. i am yet to figure out how it got to that stage).
also i have picked up a mac mini and i am looking at a good monitor for the same. my budget is around 15k. any suggestions? please help!!!
thanks
smally
smally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2013, 12:56   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Anyone using Parallels on their Macs? I am running Windows XP with 768 MB RAM, single core, on Parallels 8. I've developed this very strange problem with it that I think would be something like a memory leak.

The Mac comes down to a grinding halt if I work on the VM longer than 2 minutes (in Coherence mode). The only way of getting back on is to do a force shutdown, thereby losing all open windows and current data.

I tried repairing the XP installation from the ISO file that I have but it doesn't give me an option to repair, instead it just goes ahead and install a fresh version of XP over the existing one.

How do I go about fixing this problem? Sure, one way is to remove Parallels altogether and reinstall it, but I have many files and apps on XP that I dread re-installation (it's just a long drawn process).
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:58   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

which is the best mac service center in Bangalore? The keyboard on my macbook air has begun wearing off prematurely. I am still under the apple care program and would like to have this sorted out right away.

Any feedback?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 12:10   #1249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys,

which is the best mac service center in Bangalore?

Any feedback?
Take it to forum one, they are pretty ok as long as you deal with them nicely. I have used their service and am quite happy with them.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2013, 09:32   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Take it to forum one, they are pretty ok as long as you deal with them nicely. I have used their service and am quite happy with them.
I've also been told that that keyboard - if replaced - will not be replaced with a brand new one but with a refurbished one!

How true is this?
Old 4th August 2013, 10:38   #1251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've also been told that that keyboard - if replaced - will not be replaced with a brand new one but with a refurbished one!

How true is this?
No idea, but what do you mean by refurbished? The keys if worn out has to be changed. How will they refurbish its?
Old 12th August 2013, 12:43   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No idea, but what do you mean by refurbished? The keys if worn out has to be changed. How will they refurbish its?
Apparently, they will remove a perfectly working keypad off another macbook air that has come for total replacement, and fit it onto this macbook air.

An apple store guy told me, if the entire laptop has to be replaced, they will only provide me with a refurbished one and not a new one.

This is against my experience two years back, when my macbook had a mother board problem and they sent me a brand new one and not a refurbished piece.
Old 12th August 2013, 12:59   #1253
Team-BHP Support

My screen was replaced with brand new screen, with factory plastic cover thingie on. I don't think you need to believe everything an apple guy tells. Yes for a whole machine replacement, they would give refurbished piece maybe, but those go to apple's centralized networks and are certified as far as i know. Not a franchisee/dealership level job.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:56   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stopped using chrome. But there's this process called vnetd which doesnt seem to ring many bells on the internet when searched...which hogs the hell out of my memory now and then when using any browser (i sense this being linked to flash content, but I dont know for sure).

I use activity monitor to kill the process, but sometimes it just comes back on. My air goes into overdrive and battery drops by half, and the CPU usage is an insane 95%!

Used the symantec guide which seemed to be the only place with some dope on it, and couldnt find anything related to vnetd using their commands on the terminal.

Any help?
Still having this problem - anyone with any clues on this?
Old 16th August 2013, 10:33   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Still having this problem - anyone with any clues on this?
Think I found the problem. Seems to be an issue with the app- Voddler. Just uninstalled it. Will keep an eye on this.

http://translate.google.co.in/transl...00%26bih%3D633
Old 16th August 2013, 11:54   #1256
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy an apple laptop. Primary use will be moderate excel sheet use and email.

Heavy media usage for movies and media.

I've nailed down to 2 options.

MacBook Air 256 gb ( can anybody tell me where I can find the best deal for this? I've also read a few forums saying the battery life of MacBook Air reduces after the first year of use.

MacBook Pro retina display - 128 gb. - again need to know where I can find the best deal for this !

Which one will be better? Help will much appreciated !

Last edited by Bluebeem : 16th August 2013 at 11:57.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 12:05   #1257
BHPian

Hi everyone!

My MBP just won't start, tried everything on the net for starting it up.Any recomendations?. Lastly any good apple service centre in hyderbad?
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 14:10   #1258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemmee View Post
Hi everyone!

My MBP just won't start, tried everything on the net for starting it up.Any recomendations?. Lastly any good apple service centre in hyderbad?
With no hesitation, head up to Conquer Technologies. They have their presence at Ameerpet and Jubilee/Banjara Hills. Never ever go to Aptronix, they are just dumb fellows fleecing customers.

Are you covered under warranty or ACPP ?
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 14:26   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to buy an apple laptop. Primary use will be moderate excel sheet use and email.

Heavy media usage for movies and media.

I've nailed down to 2 options.

MacBook Air 256 gb ( can anybody tell me where I can find the best deal for this? I've also read a few forums saying the battery life of MacBook Air reduces after the first year of use.

MacBook Pro retina display - 128 gb. - again need to know where I can find the best deal for this !

Which one will be better? Help will much appreciated !

For movies and media, I would highly recommend the MBPR. The resolution is unmatchable! For everything else - Microsoft office, browsing and email I would recommend the new MBA with the Haswell processor. It's blazing fast and you get insane battery life ~11 hrs+.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 14:31   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

For movies and media, I would highly recommend the MBPR. The resolution is unmatchable! For everything else - Microsoft office, browsing and email I would recommend the new MBA with the Haswell processor. It's blazing fast and you get insane battery life ~11 hrs+.
Hello sphinx

Unfortunately I have the money to buy only one

I'm inclining towards MBA too simply because it gives you more value for the money you spend. 256gb costs about 12k less than 128 gb retina.

I'm only worried about one thing. How's the after market repair situation for AIR ? I understand that the pro is easy to repair compared to the AIR.

I'm asking because I intend to keep the laptop for at least 5-6 years. Mac batteries generally tend to lose life after 3 years.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote