Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2013, 14:36   #1261
BHPian
 
DocRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ooty
Posts: 57
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hey Guys,


I'm looking to buy an apple laptop. Primary use will be moderate excel sheet use and email.

Heavy media usage for movies and media.

I've nailed down to 2 options.

MacBook Air 256 gb ( can anybody tell me where I can find the best deal for this? I've also read a few forums saying the battery life of MacBook Air reduces after the first year of use.

MacBook Pro retina display - 128 gb. - again need to know where I can find the best deal for this !

Which one will be better? Help will much appreciated !
I would suggest macbook air new one with haswell processors. Its light and fast,2 weeks back i was in the same boat but my requirements were a bit higher as this will be primary work horse and i also do a little bit of photography.
I was planning to go for air but after comparing the beautiful retina screen with air i sealed the deal for retina pro with 256gb.It simply blows a way the competition, and once you go retina you cannot go back.
Its not that heavy either.I would suggest you go to the local apple store and use the machines yourself and come up with a decision.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:17   #1262
BHPian
 
zeemmee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hyderabad-Dubai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
With no hesitation, head up to Conquer Technologies. They have their presence at Ameerpet and Jubilee/Banjara Hills. Never ever go to Aptronix, they are just dumb fellows fleecing customers.

Are you covered under warranty or ACPP ?
Thanks alot dear "Dreams". I bought my Mbp in dubai, I don't think i am covered under acpp in hyderabad, also its 3 years old. Since i am on 1 month visit in hyderbad, it seems that voltage issues are to blame. However I will Update regarding the problem.
zeemmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 15:49   #1263
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Hello sphinx

Unfortunately I have the money to buy only one

I'm inclining towards MBA too simply because it gives you more value for the money you spend. 256gb costs about 12k less than 128 gb retina.

I'm only worried about one thing. How's the after market repair situation for AIR ? I understand that the pro is easy to repair compared to the AIR.

I'm asking because I intend to keep the laptop for at least 5-6 years. Mac batteries generally tend to lose life after 3 years.
You had two different requirements and two different Apple products catered to each of those requirements differently. Hence the two suggestions

I was in the same boat as yours some time back, but I decided to take the plunge and get the new MBA with the Haswell processor. If you need to be mobile with your laptop, then MBA is the way to go. The Retina display on the MBPR is something else altogether (I have the Retina iPad) and that blows away the MBA screen any day. I watch a lot of TV shows on my MBA, but if I had a choice I would rather watch it on the iPad instead.

The MBA is good for daily routine work, surfing and emails. The speakers on the new MBA are pretty loud for a small portable laptop. I haven't tried Facetime yet, but they say with the dual mic on this newer MBA, voice quality is good too. As for the battery on the MBA, it's all how you use these machines. These babies have a 1000 cycle capacity after which they lose their juice and need to be replaced. Follow some simple tips on how to take care of the batteries and they last for however long they're advertised. The repairability score by iFixit for the new MBA is a 4/10, whereas the MBPR repairability score is a measly 1/10!

Battery saving tips: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ha...-macs-battery/

Hope that helps!
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2013, 16:10   #1264
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 359
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post

You had two different requirements and two different Apple products catered to each of those requirements differently. Hence the two suggestions

I was in the same boat as yours some time back, but I decided to take the plunge and get the new MBA with the Haswell processor. If you need to be mobile with your laptop, then MBA is the way to go. The Retina display on the MBPR is something else altogether (I have the Retina iPad) and that blows away the MBA screen any day. I watch a lot of TV shows on my MBA, but if I had a choice I would rather watch it on the iPad instead.

The MBA is good for daily routine work, surfing and emails. The speakers on the new MBA are pretty loud for a small portable laptop. I haven't tried Facetime yet, but they say with the dual mic on this newer MBA, voice quality is good too. As for the battery on the MBA, it's all how you use these machines. These babies have a 1000 cycle capacity after which they lose their juice and need to be replaced. Follow some simple tips on how to take care of the batteries and they last for however long they're advertised. The repairability score by iFixit for the new MBA is a 4/10, whereas the MBPR repairability score is a measly 1/10!

Battery saving tips: http://mac.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ha...-macs-battery/

Hope that helps!
Thanks buddy. The ifixit score helps a lot.

I too have the retina iPad and that has added further to confusion.

On the one hand I'm looking to replace the iPad with a laptop with similar mobility and battery life.

On the other hand I've used the retina iPad for 18 months now and everything else seems to strain my eyes more. All other displays look so dull.

Confusion Confusion !!
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 14:44   #1265
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 359
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Checked out the retina MBP yesterday. The screen is mind blowing !!!!

But I'm leaning towards the Air because I need the mobility and longer battery life !
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 14:52   #1266
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 296 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Checked out the retina MBP yesterday. The screen is mind blowing !!!!

But I'm leaning towards the Air because I need the mobility and longer battery life !
Get the 13 inch MBP with Retina Display, air is nice. But the Retina Display is just too brilliant to read, to watch videos or simply stare at the background wallpaper. It's brilliant! :-)
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 15:15   #1267
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 359
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

Get the 13 inch MBP with Retina Display, air is nice. But the Retina Display is just too brilliant to read, to watch videos or simply stare at the background wallpaper. It's brilliant! :-)
Lol. Please please don't confuse me more. I have spent 1 hour yesterday and another hour today at the apple store.

And I'm still completely undecided.

MacBook Pro

Pros : retina display , 8 GB ram , fast processor
Cons : battery life, mobility , 128 GB memory is too less, older graphics cards, older technology and chip

MacBook Air
Pros : mobility , battery, graphics speed , memory

Cons : display ! And ram

I've been discussing with a friend. No the only thing that's making sense is MBA only because there's very little that's wrong with it.

:S
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 15:46   #1268
BHPian
 
azeemhafiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 281
Thanked: 296 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
And I'm still completely undecided.

I've been discussing with a friend. No the only thing that's making sense is MBA only because there's very little that's wrong with it.

:S
Here is how I look at it:

The 13 inch MBP is about 0.61 pounds heavier and at its maximum thickness 0.07 inches thicker. The design of the MacBook air makes it look more portable than Pro, but the difference is just marginal!

However, the pro is more than twice as fast & the resolution on it is 2560x1600 pixels v/s a mere 1440x900 on the Air.
(Source: http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html)

Most of the Macs in our office is replaced with the new Retina Display and the durability is just as good

Here is a different take on it, Macs last long - real long. You are probably going to be with it for a while, so think of it as an investment. While the RAM can be upgraded at a later time on the Air, the screen cannot. The MBP RD will still be cool in a few years when hopefully most of Apple's product line will have the RD on it.

You don't want to buy an Air and think about 'Should have bought the Retina Display', while you cant just go wrong with the Retina Display Macs. Just boot it up and watch the wallpaper. The heart melts
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 16:48   #1269
BHPian
 
maverick555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Haryana
Posts: 78
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

Lol. Please please don't confuse me more. I have spent 1 hour yesterday and another hour today at the apple store.

And I'm still completely undecided.

MacBook Pro

Pros : retina display , 8 GB ram , fast processor
Cons : battery life, mobility , 128 GB memory is too less, older graphics cards, older technology and chip

MacBook Air
Pros : mobility , battery, graphics speed , memory

Cons : display ! And ram

I've been discussing with a friend. No the only thing that's making sense is MBA only because there's very little that's wrong with it.

:S
Can you please post the price for both mac pro with retina and macbook air?
Just wanted to see how much is the price diff between both machines
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 16:55   #1270
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 359
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post

Can you please post the price for both mac pro with retina and macbook air?
Just wanted to see how much is the price diff between both machines
The price for 256 GB Air 13" is 87900. STUDENT discount 11000 INR.

The price MBP Retina 13" 128 GB is 99900. Student discount 12000 INR.

Both have a student discount till September.
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 17:31   #1271
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulkool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,262
Thanked: 567 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post

Here is a different take on it, Macs last long - real long. You are probably going to be with it for a while, so think of it as an investment. While the RAM can be upgraded at a later time on the Air, the screen cannot. The MBP RD will still be cool in a few years when hopefully most of Apple's product line will have the RD on it.
I don't think you can upgrade the ram either in the air or the mbp retina. There is a big difference in the retina display and air display. Not only in pixel density but also air is TN panel where as retina is IPS(not too sure?).
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 09:52   #1272
BHPian
 
DocRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ooty
Posts: 57
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post
Checked out the retina MBP yesterday. The screen is mind blowing !!!!

But I'm leaning towards the Air because I need the mobility and longer battery life !
Portability is not an issue with the rMBP. As azimhafiz said the difference is marginal.I carry my laptop daily for work and studies and what not.
It gives me around 7 and half hours of battery life with medium screen brightness and medium work.
Sometimes i also play games on it and its not a slouch.
The footprint of the rMBP is smaller than the air so it fits in a small size bag and trust me its not that heavy. You wouldnt notice it.
If you want battery life for more than 10 hours then go for air otherwise stick with the pro.In real life i dont keep my laptop on continuously and sticks with me the whole day.

Or there is the other option wait for a month or two for the Haswell retina macbook pros.That will be something.Launch expected end of sep and will hit markets october or so.
DocRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2013, 10:14   #1273
BHPian
 
Bluebeem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ludhiana
Posts: 359
Thanked: 213 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post

Portability is not an issue with the rMBP. As azimhafiz said the difference is marginal.I carry my laptop daily for work and studies and what not.
It gives me around 7 and half hours of battery life with medium screen brightness and medium work.
Sometimes i also play games on it and its not a slouch.
The footprint of the rMBP is smaller than the air so it fits in a small size bag and trust me its not that heavy. You wouldnt notice it.
If you want battery life for more than 10 hours then go for air otherwise stick with the pro.In real life i dont keep my laptop on continuously and sticks with me the whole day.

Or there is the other option wait for a month or two for the Haswell retina macbook pros.That will be something.Launch expected end of sep and will hit markets october or so.
Battery life is my biggest priority. I'm looking to replace my iPad. I like to carry it to work but I don't like carrying the charger. I need something that I can work on all day and just put it on charge when I sleep.

I did consider the haswell launch. But there's a couple of problems.

- All new launches including the iPhone and iPads will now be priced 2-3k INR higher at least because of the depreciation of the rupee.

- There's a student discount of INR 12000 going on which ends in September.

Is it really worth it to pay 1 lac for 128 GB laptop? 1.14 lacs for a decent spec 256 gb.

I'm not sure about the mobility either. Ive tested both. The Air, although marginally lighter on paper, feels so much lighter to hold and carry. Plus the air is close to the MBPr thickness only at its thickest point. It's almost nothing at its thinnest point.

Anyway that's not priority. If I buy the Air I would buy it for the Battery life. If I buy the retina ill buy it only for the screen.

If the retina can really last me a whole 12 hour day with moderate work and browsing ( few hours of no activity included) I will go for it. You think it can ,?
Bluebeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 11:42   #1274
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,176
Thanked: 4,117 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I need iwork '09 for my macbook. I have a .cdr file. (possibly its an image of the install DVD but not sure) How do I install the .cdr file?

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2013, 12:12   #1275
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeem View Post

If I buy the Air I would buy it for the Battery life. If I buy the retina ill buy it only for the screen.
You've got that right. And that alone should make your decision an easy one to make!

You already mentioned you need something with a longer battery life. The new MBA fits your bill because of that extra juice that you can get out of the new Haswell processor. It also runs the latest PCIe SSD - which is faster than your regular SSD's. I average around 9-11 hrs on mine considering I run Parallels with Win XP. I must mention that I have upgraded my RAM to 8GB. So that may just be making a slight difference.

Yes, you lose out on the fantastic Retina screen, but you gain on mobility. You heart won't really melt on watching the wallpaper, but you get comparatively sleeker overall aesthetics and a lighter portable machine (2.96 pounds for the Air VS 3.57 pounds for the rMBP).

This is more or less a head over the heart decision. Both are fantastic products. Get one before the school discount runs out or the prices go up.

Good luck.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 19th August 2013 at 12:17.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Think Safety , Think Abs !!! Beemer Street Experiences 73 28th November 2016 19:00
Think Volvo Buses, think safety? Think again! rahul_intlad Commercial Vehicles 89 14th April 2016 12:09
Think Hyundai cars are slow? Think again. drifter The International Automotive Scene 3 27th September 2005 17:00
Think your a driving game/sim freak? Think Again.. Pferdestärke Shifting gears 10 25th June 2004 00:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks