Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th September 2013, 22:16   #1306
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hi Gurus,

I have just bought a Mac Mini day before. Still learning to move in the amazing world of Mac. I have a lot of questions.

I want to use MS Office for my work. One option is to buy MS Office for Mac, it costs about Rs 4500. The other option is installing Windows 8 using Parallel. And using a license of Office that I already have. I have a 3 license MS Office Home and Student edition 2010.

I also have a Sony Vaio, core 2 duo, 2 gb RAM, 160 gb HDD, Vista pre-installed. I was exploring the possibility of upgrading it to Windows 8. Is it a good idea? Windows 8 will cost me Rs 8000 (please advice if cheaper options are there). The laptop will be primarily used by my daughters. I will use it when I step out of home (7 days a month).

If I install a license of Windows 8 on the laptop, can I use the same license on Mac? Rarely will both the machines be online together (Mac in Windows mode and Laptop).

Also how good is Parallel? Has anyone here tried it? I trade using TradeTiger from ShareKhan.com Unfortunately for me, TradeTiger does not work on Mac. A discovery I made a little too late. Is there anyway I can run TradeTiger on Mac?

I am on a shoestring budget. Kindly help!

Regards,
Dushyant
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2013, 22:52   #1307
BHPian

i have an extra office for mac home and student edition. if you want we can have a deal.
keralshobhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2013, 17:25   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keralshobhit View Post
i have an extra office for mac home and student edition. if you want we can have a deal.
Can u please send me a PM about the detail. Can i buy the license from you?
Thanks.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 09:47   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Also how good is Parallel? Has anyone here tried it? ...
Been using Parallels 8 on my Air for a while now. Installed Windows XP and running it with 1 GB RAM allocated. No major problems except that it does tend to get a bit slow if you keep on suspending the VM instead of shutting it down. Other than that, no issues. The Coherence mode is perfect.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2013, 13:30   #1310
Senior - BHPian

My MacBook Pro's hard disk seems to have crashed. The whole thing was running slow since a fortnight and then the 'Ring of death' started to show up a lot. Next was the display splitting up and distorting intermittently since the last two days and yesterday it refused to boot up even in the safe/recovery mode. Managed to get it running via internet recovery and backed up most of my data except the photographs.

There are about 54 Gb of snaps and the back up time started with "about a day" and it's been stuck.

Is there a way to save these snaps or should I say goodbye to a lifetime of memories.

Second, has anybody here heard of / availed the services from "F1" in Ashoka Bhavan, Nehru Place. Per my information they are servicing Mac and a whole lot of brands across the Windows spectrum and are good in what they do. The query here is whether they are authorised by Apple. Found some contact numbers but elicited no response on them.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 10:21   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My MacBook Pro's hard disk seems to have crashed. The whole thing was running slow since a fortnight and then the 'Ring of death' started to show up a lot.
There are about 54 Gb of snaps and the back up time started with "about a day" and it's been stuck.

Is there a way to save these snaps or should I say goodbye to a lifetime of memories.
Yes. There is. It would have saved you a lot of trouble if you had cloned your drive to an external drive earlier. Now get an external drive and use software like CarbonCopy cloner to clone your drive to an external drive. You can boot off the external drive and retrieve the data directly off the external drive. Cloning software creates a system image in an external drive.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 11:08   #1312
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Does anyone here have a good solution for iTunes streaming dropping ?
I stream to a Denon Air Play enabled AVR. I know this has been a long documented problem, but recently it has become more frequent. Practically after every song the streaming drops.

Ps: I am running iTunes on Windows 8. But I see this reported for pure Mac platforms as well. Also am on the latest release of iTunes 11.0.5.5

Any solution would be helpful

Thanks
Fillmore
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:10   #1313
Team-BHP Support

New OS Mavericks is going to be available for............. FREE!! This is just superb! The battle for free OS just began
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 01:19   #1314
Senior - BHPian

So got the book to boot up using internet recovery and created a time machine on an external HDD.

Next called Mac support and they said the OS is corrupted, so reinstalled the same. Everything was good for a couple of days and then the sky fell down Again.

Now the book is with F1 and they are essentially going to replace the HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
My MacBook Pro's hard disk seems to have crashed

Dang and I had just upgraded to the 10.8 platform, half a tank of fuel down the drain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
New OS Mavericks is going to be available for............. FREE!! This is just superb! The battle for free OS just began
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 02:23   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Only news that was interesting to me in today's Apple event. Just upgraded my 2012 MBPr to Mavericks. Everything smooth so far. No major changes. I won't be using Apple Maps or iBooks anyway.

I don't like the new color of the dock when it's on the side. I liked the old black colored dock, that gave much better contrast.

Name:  Screen Shot 20131022 at 2.00.09 PM.png
Views: 253
Size:  33.1 KB

Last edited by Gandhi : 23rd October 2013 at 02:31.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 07:43   #1316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Only news that was interesting to me in today's Apple event. Just upgraded my 2012 MBPr to Mavericks. Everything smooth so far. No major changes. I won't be using Apple Maps or iBooks anyway.
Servers were chocked, when I tried to update yesterday. Will try it some time later. Apple should also provide a separate download and upgrade feature. Because the Appstore link can fail many times and it does when crowded. At least then we can use one of the many available auto-reconnect and download softwares to download the full bundle.

I have seen the download options available in previous versions for all the free updates.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2013 at 07:44.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:17   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I have seen the download options available in previous versions for all the free updates.
+1
The speed when downloading from iTunes is always very less when compared to download using some accelerators.
I did a search today in Apple website to get a direct download link, but as of now it isn't available. Will wait from some more days and check. BTW, 5.5GB is very huge to download without any issues.
dre@ms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2013, 20:42   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
+1
The speed when downloading from iTunes is always very less when compared to download using some accelerators.
I did a search today in Apple website to get a direct download link, but as of now it isn't available. Will wait from some more days and check. BTW, 5.5GB is very huge to download without any issues.
I was lucky after I posted that previous post in the morning!
Am on Mavericks as I type this. No major difference from a computing point of view. Just a feeling that its it bit faster and smoother. Need to wait and see how it pans out.

Even new Safari seems a bit lighter

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2013 at 20:43.
Old 24th October 2013, 17:44   #1319
Distinguished - BHPian

The new OSX Mavericks is indeed free...but...only for users using Snow Leopard or above. People running leopard need to first BUY Snow Leopard and then upgrade. Why this discrimination if at all it has to be given free?
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2013, 18:33   #1320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The new OSX Mavericks is indeed free...but...only for users using Snow Leopard or above. People running leopard need to first BUY Snow Leopard and then upgrade. Why this discrimination if at all it has to be given free?
More importantly check if your HW can be upgraded to Mavericks (or Lion / Mountain Lion) I have a 2008 Macbook which runs Snow Leopard. It does not support Lion or later versions.