Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th October 2013, 20:41   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Spare a thought for me, I updated from Mountain to Snow leopard just a few weeks ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
The new OSX Mavericks is indeed free...but...only for users using Snow Leopard or above. People running leopard need to first BUY Snow Leopard and then upgrade. Why this discrimination if at all it has to be given free?
Got my book back from the F1. They changed the logic board (all data is intact) as well as the 85W charger, it's wire (the thin one with the mag plug) had frayed.

I had sent it to another service centre prior to this one and the idiots at the first centre simply returned it saying Apple would never give a replacement. So went and bought a new one and then the book crashed. On a whim I sent the charger too and the F1 guys accepted it and got it replaced, so now I have two if anyone is looking to buy one do pm me, the one I bought is still lying packed as is c/w the plastic shrink wrap et all.

Ironically the service centre where the idiots refused to entertain the frayed wire complaint is named (of all things) Four Genius Minds
wish their employees had minds in the first place let alone those of a genius.

Last edited by khoj : 24th October 2013 at 20:46.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 10:14   #1322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
More importantly check if your HW can be upgraded to Mavericks (or Lion / Mountain Lion) I have a 2008 Macbook which runs Snow Leopard. It does not support Lion or later versions.
Acc. to Apple India website, the late 2008 models should be compatible with Mavericks. Looks like mine is again not compatible because its a Early 2008 Macbook (not aluminium body); came with Leopard 10.5.4. Hard luck for us!
saket77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 10:24   #1323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Acc. to Apple India website, the late 2008 models should be compatible with Mavericks. Looks like mine is again not compatible because its a Early 2008 Macbook (not aluminium body); came with Leopard 10.5.4. Hard luck for us!
So is mine! I upgraded to Snow Leopard the instant it was released then and thats it. But all said and done, works flawlessly in spite of 5 years of abuse. Changed battery once this year. I also use a Mac mini which I upgraded to Mavericks.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2013 at 10:25.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 11:32   #1324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So is mine! I upgraded to Snow Leopard the instant it was released then and thats it. But all said and done, works flawlessly in spite of 5 years of abuse. Changed battery once this year. I also use a Mac mini which I upgraded to Mavericks.
Sigh! Sir, what if I want to upgrade to at least Lion 10.7 (which is compatible with out Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Macbooks)? Have read that Apple no longer sells Lion too? What are the alternatives?
Old 25th October 2013, 11:36   #1325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sigh! Sir, what if I want to upgrade to at least Lion 10.7 (which is compatible with out Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Macbooks)? Have read that Apple no longer sells Lion too? What are the alternatives?
If I am not wrong, the early 2008 models can only be upgraded to Snow Leopard. (My Macbook is also 2008 early version)
Lion too is not supported.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:38   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If I am not wrong, the early 2008 models can only be upgraded to Snow Leopard. (My Macbook is also 2008 early version)
Lion too is not supported.
This source (http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ryn-specs.html) states that it can tame the Lion Have read at a few more places too. BTW, I will be happy going further one step too...can I now upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Last edited by saket77 : 25th October 2013 at 11:51.
Old 25th October 2013, 12:14   #1327
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This source (http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ryn-specs.html) states that it can tame the Lion Have read at a few more places too. BTW, I will be happy going further one step too...can I now upgrade to Snow Leopard?
There is no choice. You will have to buy a DVD. Because App store came after Snow Leopard. (In fact after you upgrade SL after the first install then you get to see the App store.)

So short summary : Contact Apple Store, and see if you can get hold of one, are order online on Apple or Amazon. They are available. I just checked.
Old 25th October 2013, 12:16   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So short summary : Contact Apple Store, and see if you can get hold of one, are order online on Apple or Amazon. They are available. I just checked.
Thanks Sir! Will check.
Old 25th October 2013, 12:37   #1329
BHPian

I am getting frustrated as Mavericks is just now downloading on my Macbook Air which has OS X 10.7.5 at the moment.
It starts the download process and the progress point does not move at all and I get unable to download message after 3-4 hrs.
Otherwise internet speed is pretty good.
Am I missing any trick here?
avingodb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 12:43   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
I am getting frustrated as Mavericks is just now downloading on my Macbook Air which has OS X 10.7.5 at the moment.
It starts the download process and the progress point does not move at all and I get unable to download message after 3-4 hrs.
Otherwise internet speed is pretty good.
Am I missing any trick here?

You would need a fast Broadband pipe (which is of course given).And also try to start the download at very early morning hours. Say 4AM or so. With a continuous 4MBps, you should be done in 4-5 hours.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2013 at 12:48.
Old 28th October 2013, 12:37   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sir! Will check.
I checked with a local Apple retailer for Snow Leopard OS. I was informed that Apple currently does not sells Snow Leopard on DVD; but USB flash drives for installation are available. I was quoted a whopping 16K for the Snow leopard install Flash drive. I thought it was much cheaper; but now its atrociously priced. Is the information that I have been given is correct?
Old 28th October 2013, 18:58   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
I checked with a local Apple retailer for Snow Leopard OS. I was informed that Apple currently does not sells Snow Leopard on DVD; but USB flash drives for installation are available. I was quoted a whopping 16K for the Snow leopard install Flash drive. I thought it was much cheaper; but now its atrociously priced. Is the information that I have been given is correct?
Considering the price is $20 for the DVD version in the US. I believe that's a rip-off

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...6-snow-leopard
Diamond_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 19:19   #1333
BHPian

I've two questions to check with you before calling Apple support on ISD.

- I bought the iWork package as CD from Apple store in 2009 (I think). This is now available on the Mac Appstore. Apple is offering the recent upgrade free from the Appstore but I am not able to download it since the Appstore doesn't have record of my purchase through the store. Anything I can do to get the free upgrade?

- I have a 2007 time capsule that I used as my time machine backup and Wifi router. Recently it stopped working. It just wouldn't turn on. Maybe a blown fuse. How can I get it repaired to the extent of at least recovering backed up data?

Your help and suggestions are much welcome.
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013, 20:38   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnjdnght View Post
I've two questions to check with you before calling Apple support on ISD.

- I bought the iWork package as CD from Apple store in 2009 (I think). This is now available on the Mac Appstore. Apple is offering the recent upgrade free from the Appstore but I am not able to download it since the Appstore doesn't have record of my purchase through the store. Anything I can do to get the free upgrade?

- I have a 2007 time capsule that I used as my time machine backup and Wifi router. Recently it stopped working. It just wouldn't turn on. Maybe a blown fuse. How can I get it repaired to the extent of at least recovering backed up data?

Your help and suggestions are much welcome.
- If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, install iWork from the CD. Once done, open the App Store application and go to Upgrade tab, it will offer to upgrade iWork apps to the app store format. Click update and enter your App Store username password. Once done delete the iWork folder in Applications folder (as its the older one installed from the CD, the newer ones will be available directly in the Applications folder)

- Check out the discussion here. Based on the model you might be able to open the capsule and recover the data by transferring the inter hard disk to another case. But before you do that try troubleshooting/contacting apple through here. The older Time Capsules were notorious for failing on you!
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 10:12   #1335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
- If you have already upgraded to Mavericks, install iWork from the CD. Once done, open the App Store application and go to Upgrade tab, it will offer to upgrade iWork apps to the app store format. Click update and enter your App Store username password. Once done delete the iWork folder in Applications folder (as its the older one installed from the CD, the newer ones will be available directly in the Applications folder)
Thanks. I hadn't tried this before but did so after your suggestion. Looks like it still doesn't allow me the option to upgrade. I suspect it could be because I am still on iWork 08 and not iWork 09. But typically Apple does allow upgrades across a couple of earlier versions as well. I've raised a support request with Apple.

Quote:
- Check out the discussion here. Based on the model you might be able to open the capsule and recover the data by transferring the inter hard disk to another case. But before you do that try troubleshooting/contacting apple through here. The older Time Capsules were notorious for failing on you!
Yep. I am following that thread and a couple more on the net looking for the quickest possible fix (I may mess it up if I try to do some of the suggestions coming up in those threads). Let me also try through Apple. Thanks.
Mnjdnght is offline   Reply With Quote