Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th November 2013, 17:52   #1336
BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I want to change icons of certain apps. Is it enough if I delete the current set of icons and put in my own icons with .icns extension?
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 18:44   #1337
BHPian

My Macbook Air mid 2011, keyboard and touchpad become unresponsive. Not sure what went wrong and its running on latest OS Mavericks, upgraded hoping software issue, but still it doesn't work. It is hardly been used as compared to my Dell Studio. Can anyone suggest anything, as parts are costing bomb, around 20k.
sam003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 20:30   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
My Macbook Air mid 2011, keyboard and touchpad become unresponsive. Not sure what went wrong and its running on latest OS Mavericks, upgraded hoping software issue, but still it doesn't work. It is hardly been used as compared to my Dell Studio. Can anyone suggest anything, as parts are costing bomb, around 20k.
Apple released a software update to fix that. Check your updates.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:03   #1339
Senior - BHPian

MacBook Air users in the house; need your opinion.

I am in the market to buy one and following are the configurations available:
Option 1: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Flash drive
Option 2: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB Flash drive

4GB -> 8GB RAM is $ 100 more
1.3 GHz i5 -> 1.7 GHz i7 is $ 150 more.

Almost certainly, I will install Windows thru' Parallels. I will have 10 GB worth of songs, 20 GB worth of data. If I can do with 128 GB hard drive, I can move the pictures to a portable drive.

1) Is 128 GB enough? Or is 256 required for all the software and Windows?
2) Is 4 GB RAM enough? I won't use the laptop for gaming, video editing or any other heavy duty processing. I might use it for Excel modelling (on Windows) though.

Thanks!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 02:41   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
MacBook Air users in the house; need your opinion. I am in the market to buy one and following are the configurations available: Option 1: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Flash drive Option 2: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB Flash drive 4GB -> 8GB RAM is $ 100 more 1.3 GHz i5 -> 1.7 GHz i7 is $ 150 more. Almost certainly, I will install Windows thru' Parallels. I will have 10 GB worth of songs, 20 GB worth of data. If I can do with 128 GB hard drive, I can move the pictures to a portable drive. 1) Is 128 GB enough? Or is 256 required for all the software and Windows? 2) Is 4 GB RAM enough? I won't use the laptop for gaming, video editing or any other heavy duty processing. I might use it for Excel modelling (on Windows) though. Thanks!
The need state seems very similar to mine and I use an Air with 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. No worries so far!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:26   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The need state seems very similar to mine and I use an Air with 4GB RAM and 128 GB SSD. No worries so far!
Any issues with over-heating? At any point, did you feel you should have gone in for 8GB RAM and/or 256 GB SSD?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:44   #1342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any issues with over-heating? At any point, did you feel you should have gone in for 8GB RAM and/or 256 GB SSD?
I hope you won't play games or keep editing photos/videos all the time. In that case you will need more RAM for sure.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2013, 01:40   #1343
BHPian

Quote:

Almost certainly, I will install Windows thru' Parallels. I will have 10 GB worth of songs, 20 GB worth of data. If I can do with 128 GB hard drive, I can move the pictures to a portable drive.

2) Is 4 GB RAM enough? I won't use the laptop for gaming, video editing or any other heavy duty processing. I might use it for Excel modelling (on Windows) though.

Thanks!
There is (or was) this rule of thumb about SSDs: don't fill it up more than 60-70% of its capacity for best performance. You might want to factor that in.

Squeezing in a Windows VM through parallels (plus Excel work inside of it) in 4GB RAM? I wouldn't like that for too long. I have a '11 Air with 4GB and 128GB RAM. I don't run Parallels (for Linux) anymore and a couple of dozen tabs in Chrome slows it all down a bit. I wish I had more RAM and SSD space.

BTW, Office (Excel) is available on OSX too.

Re: overheating:
Initially, some flash videos caused this. I used an app called 'FlashFrozen' to take care of this. Sometimes, the CPU fan just goes on top gear and makes a lot of noise and shows no sign of calming down. At such times, I just shut the lid, let it suspend and open it back again. The frequency of either of these has come down completely lately, I think one of the OS updates took care of it. And maybe also because I've disabled all plugins (flash, pdf renderer, etc.) from turning on automatically in the browsers: enable only when needed or whitelist on a per-site basis.

Last edited by nareshov : 4th December 2013 at 01:47. Reason: add note about over-heating
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 11:17   #1344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am in the market to buy one and following are the configurations available:
Option 1: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB Flash drive
Option 2: 1.3 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 256 GB Flash drive

4GB -> 8GB RAM is $ 100 more
1.3 GHz i5 -> 1.7 GHz i7 is $ 150 more.

Thanks!
I have the new Haswell powered Air with 128 GB and I have upgraded the RAM to 8GB. Am running Parallels 9 with Windows XP with a 512MB dedicated RAM to it. No issues so far in terms of performance. However, do note that you will have to dedicate at least some amount of decent SSD space to Parallels for running it smoothly. I have allocated some 40GB to it. If you're into DL'ing music/movies etc. I'd suggest an upgrade to the SSD too; preferably a 256GB drive would do the job.

The Haswell i5 is a very fast processor and you probably won't need an i7 unless you're into a lot of graphic editing and video processing.

I'd recommend the i5 + 8 GB + 256GB combo
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 12:11   #1345
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2009 Macbook (2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2gb ram) running OS X 10.5.8. I have stopped receiving updates for most of the applications as the OS is outdated. Does it make sense to update the OS and continue with this Macbook for a few more years or should I just scrap it and buy a new one? Ps- My usage is mainly browsing, video calling and other such light activities.
schakravarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2013, 13:01   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
I have a 2009 Macbook (2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2gb ram) running OS X 10.5.8. I have stopped receiving updates for most of the applications as the OS is outdated. Does it make sense to update the OS and continue with this Macbook for a few more years or should I just scrap it and buy a new one? Ps- My usage is mainly browsing, video calling and other such light activities.
Do you a really need an upgrade? I have a 2008 macbook running Snow Leopard. I am perfectly happy with it. And I hope it runs for few more years !
Old 13th December 2013, 13:14   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Do you a really need an upgrade? I have a 2008 macbook running Snow Leopard. I am perfectly happy with it. And I hope it runs for few more years !
The system has slowed down significantly, Applications freeze and crash a lot, I can't play YouTube videos on Chrome. These are a few niggles that have cropped up. I've been coping with them, but then life would be much easier if I can find a solution to my upgrade/change query.
Old 13th December 2013, 14:20   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The system has slowed down significantly, Applications freeze and crash a lot, I can't play YouTube videos on Chrome. These are a few niggles that have cropped up. I've been coping with them, but then life would be much easier if I can find a solution to my upgrade/change query.
- Mine is a early 2008 2 GB RAM system. Its still fast.

- So I dont think its any thing to do with the machine.
- See if you can repair disk permissions, clear swap space or free some space.

I think there does exist scope to keep this machine active.
Old 14th December 2013, 14:53   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

- Mine is a early 2008 2 GB RAM system. Its still fast.

- So I dont think its any thing to do with the machine.
- See if you can repair disk permissions, clear swap space or free some space.

I think there does exist scope to keep this machine active.
As suggested by you,
-I repaired disk permissions. But I don't see any noticeable improvements.
-I'm not sure about 'clear swap space'. I googled it, but found many people suggesting to leave it alone. I'm no computer whiz, so I left it alone. (Its around 65mb in size)
-Free space is not an issue as I store all my data on a portable hard drive.

Any other tweaks or tricks?
Old 14th December 2013, 23:25   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As suggested by you,
-I repaired disk permissions. But I don't see any noticeable improvements.
-I'm not sure about 'clear swap space'. I googled it, but found many people suggesting to leave it alone. I'm no computer whiz, so I left it alone. (Its around 65mb in size)
-Free space is not an issue as I store all my data on a portable hard drive.

Any other tweaks or tricks?
Can't you just up the Ram to 4 gigs?
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote