Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th January 2014, 08:06   #1381
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just got myself the MacBook Pro! Retina Display, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB HDD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumithb View Post
Also, install Quicksilver, you won't have to take your hands off the keyboard .
+1. Quicksilver is like a must have for a MAC. Google have the quick search box. But that is nowhere close to this one.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 08:18   #1382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got myself the MacBook Pro! Retina Display, 2.4 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB HDD.
Congratulations and welcome to the mac world!
Check out some 4k Resolution videos on youtube which look awesome on the retina display.

You can also try out Alfred as an alternative to quicksilver.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 08:47   #1383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
You can also try out Alfred as an alternative to quicksilver.
Alfred's nice, used it for a while when development of Quicksilver was in limbo. With Alfred you really need to buy the "power pack" to realize its full potential. But now that Quicksilver is open source and under active development there's no going back
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2014, 15:54   #1384

Though not directly related, just want to share an incident. I had an iMac 24" since 2007 (How I bought/afford it is another story for another time).
It conked off in 2012 Nov. timeframe. I took it to a service station and was informed that INR 13,000 part is faulty and needs to be replaced. I was okay with it and asked them to proceed.

After a couple of months a few more days, after repeated follow-up, I was informed that the part is not available. This call was from Singapore, and I was told that a replacement will be provided for above stated cost. Since 24" was discontinued, I was provided with a 27" all new iMac with proper 1 year warranty et. al. to boot.

I was mighty pleased with that exchange !!! In difference to this gesture from apple, I allowed myself an iPad (wi-fi only).
rysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 23:29   #1385
Senior - BHPian

Couple of teething problems:

1) For all the songs that I add on iTunes, it is duplicating all of them in a new folder. Is this normal? I am not constrained on space but don't want 2 copies of the same stuff.

2) If I download a song, how do I change the properties (song name, album, artist etc.); the way you could do File -> right click-> Properties on Windows?

Quote:
Welcome to the club! I have been using a Mac for more than 5 years and have loved it. You can find videos here to get you started. Also, install Quicksilver, you won't have to take your hands off the keyboard . You might also want to consider Crossover if you have some must have windows only app lying around.

Have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1. Quicksilver is like a must have for a MAC. Google have the quick search box. But that is nowhere close to this one.
Trying that out today!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2014, 00:29   #1386
BHPian

Quote:
Couple of teething problems:

1) For all the songs that I add on iTunes, it is duplicating all of them in a new folder. Is this normal? I am not constrained on space but don't want 2 copies of the same stuff.

2) If I download a song, how do I change the properties (song name, album, artist etc.); the way you could do File -> right click-> Properties on Windows?

Trying that out today!
1. iTunes makes a copy of the songs you add to the library. It would be available in iTunes Media > Music folder. You can remove the original

2. You do that after adding them to iTunes library. Once added to iTunes, two finger tap an Album/Song > Get Info. You would see the various options you can edit.
sumithb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 02:41   #1387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. You do that after adding them to iTunes library. Once added to iTunes, two finger tap an Album/Song > Get Info. You would see the various options you can edit.
But the edit will only happen for the iTunes version of the file, right? The original file will still retain the properties. I could change the properties of the song in iTunes but the file on disk still carries the original properties.
Old 9th February 2014, 06:51   #1388
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But the edit will only happen for the iTunes version of the file, right? The original file will still retain the properties. I could change the properties of the song in iTunes but the file on disk still carries the original properties.
Only maintain the iTunes copy. Why maintain the other one? And in the iTunes version, change the properties of the file to reflect the artist, genre, name etc.
Works very well for me. I have changed machines (Mac -> Mac) and OS (Win -> MAC) . But this has been working and DB is quite some years old. Its also quite huge.

Last edited by ampere : 9th February 2014 at 06:52.
Old 9th February 2014, 22:50   #1389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Only maintain the iTunes copy. Why maintain the other one? And in the iTunes version, change the properties of the file to reflect the artist, genre, name etc.
Thanks!

The file structure is confusing me a bit; esp. when files are in the iMusic, iPhoto. I'll need to spend more time to get used to it!

Btw, Quicksilver ain't working on my system. I downloaded the file but when I install it, it prompts me whether I want to install it in Applications and then nothing happens. Any clue?
Old 10th February 2014, 07:31   #1390
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Btw, Quicksilver ain't working on my system. I downloaded the file but when I install it, it prompts me whether I want to install it in Applications and then nothing happens. Any clue?
MAC install means either you have an installer or you have a build which needs to be copied to the Applications folder. Do check if you completed that.

And once installed Quicksilver will just run in the back-ground. You can map it to a keyboard stroke and then see the power unleash. Amazing levels of productivity with that one app alone !
Old 10th February 2014, 11:52   #1391
Senior - BHPian

Loving my 2013 Macbook air 13 Inch so far.
Its my Primary Machine (hooked it up to a 24 inch external monitor + 4 TB of External space +external keyboard and mice)

Issues
1)Scrolling with the mouse wheel (probably why Apple mouse does not have a scroll wheel) turn it too fast and it scrolls too fast and jumps pages

2)Chrome seems to be a half ass attempt on the Mac , only reason that im not switching to safari is due to my bookmarks on chrome being shared to all machines and only older version of safari available on windows.

Last edited by vinaydas : 10th February 2014 at 11:58.
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 09:23   #1392
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation used iMac or Mac Pro - Need urgent help

Hi TBHPians,

I'm looking to buy a pre-owned Apple system for my video editing purposes (most probably I will be using Adobe CS6, Finalcut Pro X etc.)

I'm Evaluating a Quad Core i7 3.4Ghz iMac with USB3(Latest) against Six Core Xenon 2.66Ghz Mac Pro with USB2. Both have got 32GB RAM --> iMac has inbuild 27" monitor where Mac pro got endless upgrade option and important thing is that it got dual GPU. -- What would be your choice among this two ?

I have circled the below two different systems and need your suggestions today to make a choice. Please suggest

Option 1: (mid 2011 model)
Apple iMac 27" (Desktop)
Intel i7 quad core 3.4 GHz processor
2GB video RAM
32 GB of RAM overall (maxed out)
2TB of hard drive
USB3 ports
HDMI port available
wireless key board
wireless magic mouse

Option 2: (mid 2010 model)
Apple Mac Pro (Server)
Intel Xenon six core 2.66 GHz processor (GPU)
1GB video RAM
32 GB of RAM
2TB of hard drive
USB2 ports
No display (but my 47" Smart TV could potentially become a video editing screen :-) with the HDMI)
No mouse, Keyboard
DVI to HDMI cable is in the bundle
The xenon is offered $300 below the imac price and the usb3 pci cards are about $100 range if I need to buy one.

As I'm planning to buy in the morning to carry with me, your quick response is highly appreciated.

Last edited by trammway : 11th February 2014 at 09:32.
trammway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2014, 10:30   #1393
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: used iMac or Mac Pro - Need urgent help

Go for the Mac pro. I think, this should be the right choice for your requirements.
Pro's.
- Extendable to a great extent.
- Easily repairable.
- You need not depend on actual apple service and spares. You will always be able to fix it by doing some Jugad.
- And it is cheaper than Imac.

Cons
- Might affect some resale value.
- Bulky.

The 27 inch Imac is good, but i dont think, this will be a very good performer for your requirements. Also, comming to pros and Cons.
- Real looker.
- Cable free system. With integrated Wifi, bluetooth, blah blah.
Thats it.

Cons
- Difficult to repair. But the 2011 ones are better than the current ones.

Forget those graphic cards, you will always be able to upgrade them on a Mac pro. You will not have this if you opt for Imac. Also, those xeons on Mac pro can kill the imac when it comes to delivering sheer processing performance. But all that processeing power isnt required for you, as you would only be editing videos.
If you intend to use it for other purposes too, then with Mac pro, you will have enough reserve power to use it for your future requirements. I would pick Mac Pro, if i were in your shoe.

Last edited by gemi_kk : 11th February 2014 at 10:34. Reason: adding value.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 22:49   #1394
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a MacBook Air 4 GB RAM, 256 GB flashdrive. The laptop is perfect and i am enjoying the transition from a windows based platform to OS X.
Now i knew the windows inside out, which accelerators to install, media players etc, but here im completely clueless !

Can some one point out the essentials, which are a must have on one's OS X.

1. Hard drive utility
2. Download accelerators etc.

any other. Thanks!
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2014, 23:13   #1395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a MacBook Air 4 GB RAM, 256 GB flashdrive. The laptop is perfect and i am enjoying the transition from a windows based platform to OS X.
Now i knew the windows inside out, which accelerators to install, media players etc, but here im completely clueless !

Can some one point out the essentials, which are a must have on one's OS X.

1. Hard drive utility
2. Download accelerators etc.

any other. Thanks!
Ashish, congratulations on your purchase.

Your questions are perfectly usual for someone moving from the Windows world, but please note that for Mac OS X you do not need any of those other utilities.

Please be especially wary of any utility that claims to "clean" or "optimise" of "defrag" or prevent any kind of malware or things like that - almost all of them are nag-ware in disguise and prey on Windows users who migrate to the Mac.

I repeat, you do not need any of those. Mac OS X by itself has everything needed to look after itself and optimise itself and stay secure by itself.

If you absolutely feel you need some plug-ins etc., I would recommend using Safari (or Google Chrome if you prefer) and using those browsers themselves to look for plug-ins and extensions compatible with them and use some of them. A couple that come to mind are AdBlock or YouTube downloaders etc.

And finally, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, you do not need anything other than standard vanilla Mac OS X itself. Do not download or install any other utilities, however tempting they may seem.

Enjoy your new Mac, and welcome to the community.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote