Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th March 2014, 03:07   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

Hello fellow members, I have a 15" MBPro and the thing had gone kaput a couple of months ago. At that time the logic board was replaced. These days I am seeing the ring of death a whole lot even for tabs to be opened while surfing. I have 'Memory keeper' downloaded on the machine and it shows the amount of free RAM available which shockingly these days goes down as low as 10Mb(total being 4Gb) and whenever the available RAM level dips, the ring of death makes it's appearance. Wonder what's taking up so much memory since my level of usage has remained more or less the same since I bought the machine 2+ years back.

I wonder whether the utility itself (memory keeper) is behind this whole shenanigan or could it be the logic board going bad again. I am running OS X 10.9.2 at this time.

Please share your thoughts, similar experiences etc.

Last edited by khoj : 20th March 2014 at 03:08.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 03:21   #1412
BHPian

Khoj,

I am a very strong proponent of letting Mac OS X manage itself, something it does extremely well on its own. Any other utilities that claim to optimise anything on a Mac is at the very best, useless, or at the worst, malware. MacKeeper is another such utility that comes to mind; and it is a nightmare actually.

My recommendation is to completely uninstall Memory Keeper and any other non-Apple utilities you have, and then use your Mac to see if you still have the dreaded beachball.

One more thing is, Safari does tend to beachball sometimes when too many tabs are open. Try Chrome or Opera and see if you are still beachballing.

But, please remove any optimising utilities. You are not on Windows.

Cheers
tilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 07:31   #1413
BHPian

I got a Mac Pro Retina running OS X - 10.8.5 . My only problem with Mac after switching from windows is with outlook reminders, which I have a bid dependency on.
Any ideas on how to handle reminders.
The reminders on Mac calendars are a pain. They keep popping up and you can only snooze them but, cannot mention how long to snooze each event. Even if you close the event, they keep popping up till the event time has expired
I tried outlook for Mac, and that has another issue, if you snooze multiple reminders for different amount of time, when the first one is due, all of them pop up again.
So I install windows on Mac, and then I have outlook running there, with Windows in Unity mode. This is working fine but, then beats the whole idea of using a Mac.
rpads1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 08:09   #1414
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpads1 View Post
So I install windows on Mac, and then I have outlook running there, with Windows in Unity mode. This is working fine but, then beats the whole idea of using a Mac.
For this alone you can choose to install Outlook for MAC. Try that route. It should work. Why install windows, just for office alone?
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 22:49   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Quicksilver, Alfred, et al would not fall under the "cleaning and maintenance" category. My response was limited to those specific categories because that was what the question was about.

That said, both Quicksilver and Alfred are great utilities; however, my recommendation would be to let the new Mac user just use plain vanilla Mavericks for a while so that he can get used to it. He can also see what Mavericks by itself is capable of, and then if he still needs Quicksilver or Alfred or the like, go ahead and install them.

Please do remember that Quicksilver and Alfred were made when Mac OS X did not provide similar functionality by itself. Now that Mac OSX has Launchpad, Spotlight, Spaces and Expose built-in, there may not be such a pressing need for other software to do those functions.

Of course, personal preference may vary

Cheers
Exactly my thoughts. I am planning to explore this one on my own a bit before i go for any add ons (If any).
However , i find that the windows was much more customisable than Mac. Mac is a little bit closed as an eco system. Its a good thing though as everything is taken care of, but makes it a little boring. thats all.
Oh but its extremely productive.
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 11:38   #1416
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I wonder whether the utility itself (memory keeper) is behind this whole shenanigan or could it be the logic board going bad again. I am running OS X 10.9.2 at this time.

Please share your thoughts, similar experiences etc.
I recommend a complete, clean reinstall of the OS. That will clear the problem if it is from software side.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:52   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tilt. So I uninstalled both the memory, Mac keeper and several other things that I had and the ring of death has disappeared. The machine even boots faster, I am a happy man.

Quote:
My recommendation is to completely uninstall Memory Keeper and any other non-Apple utilities you have, and then use your Mac to see if you still have the dreaded beachball.

How do I do that, noob question but then in this field I am one

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I recommend a complete, clean reinstall of the OS. That will clear the problem if it is from software side.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 00:36   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post

How do I do that, noob question but then in this field I am one
No problem. Every Mac ships with its original OS DVD or media. And intalling the OS in mac, I will say, is easier than windows.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 15:06   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
No problem. Every Mac ships with its original OS DVD or media. And intalling the OS in mac, I will say, is easier than windows.
No it doesn't ! I received no DVD or any media whatsoever with my purchase.
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:19   #1420
BHPian

Default iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

An offer to watch out for..any good?
iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1395575379.108397.jpg
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 01:14   #1421
Senior - BHPian

How many of you use an AV on your Mac?

There's a lot of discussion on the internet about this, most of which leans towards Macs not needing AV.

I have access to Symantec Endpoint Protection for free; so, should I install it?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 02:37   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Mavericks does not - it is purely a download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish.uno View Post
No it doesn't ! I received no DVD or any media whatsoever with my purchase.
Ashish, Mavericks has the provision of "Internet Recovery", meaning you boot your Mac from Apple's servers directly and you can reinstall from there. See instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Cheers
Old 27th March 2014, 07:04   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
Mavericks does not - it is purely a download.

Ashish, Mavericks has the provision of "Internet Recovery", meaning you boot your Mac from Apple's servers directly and you can reinstall from there. See instructions here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4718

Cheers

No need of internet recovery. Hold down option key while starting up and you can recover it using the recovery partition.
Monolithic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 07:12   #1424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
No need of internet recovery. Hold down option key while starting up and you can recover it using the recovery partition.
Also true actually, thank you Monolithic. However, I have heard of a few cases (mostly where people have upgraded from an earlier OS X version) where the Recovery Partition was missing. If that's the case with Aashish, then Internet Recovery is an alternate option to try.

Cheers
Old 27th March 2014, 10:29   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How many of you use an AV on your Mac?

There's a lot of discussion on the internet about this, most of which leans towards Macs not needing AV.

I have access to Symantec Endpoint Protection for free; so, should I install it?
Mac OS X is based on Unix and all applications are sandboxed. I have been running Linux servers for well over a decade and we have never installed any AV. Same way Mac OS doesn't need any AV.

You would be better off without installing Symantec in your Mac. It will slow down your system for no additional benefit.

@tilt
Quote:
However, I have heard of a few cases (mostly where people have upgraded from an earlier OS X version) where the Recovery Partition was missing.
When you upgrade to Maverick, the hidden partition containing the OS installation also gets updated to the new OS. One more thing about upgrading applications. If it is from Apple, the old version will still remain in the app directory. You can run the old version if you so desire.

Last edited by Prowler : 27th March 2014 at 10:33. Reason: Added more content
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote