Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th September 2009, 18:50   #61
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
A question to OS guru's: The workstations in my office are HP branded and come with Vista Business as OEM. My office hace asked them to replace them with Windows XP.
Can I use the key written on the Microsoft Original sticker on the machine and then install the Vista Business on my home pc??
no reason why that shouldn't work - but I am not quite sure of the legalities behind this. Your company (if large enough) will already have an agreement in place with Microsoft for specific number of clients and this may involve not using the Vista keys (maybe trade-ins or other benefits passed on). Then again I am just speculating and the HP OEM vista may have nothing to do with the Microsoft agreements. Lastly you have an agreement with your company (employment letter) and you will be breaking a lot of policies by running company owned software on your home pc.
My question is why vista - why don't you install something like ubuntu linux (jaunty 9.04 is pretty good out of the box and beats winblows any day and its free) or if you are adventorous enough go the hackintosh way (can be termed illegal but i am not opening that can of worms again )

Last edited by jassi : 28th September 2009 at 18:52.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:08   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
no reason why that shouldn't work - but I am not quite sure of the legalities behind this. Your company (if large enough) will already have an agreement in place with Microsoft for specific number of clients and this may involve not using the Vista keys (maybe trade-ins or other benefits passed on). Then again I am just speculating and the HP OEM vista may have nothing to do with the Microsoft agreements. Lastly you have an agreement with your company (employment letter) and you will be breaking a lot of policies by running company owned software on your home pc.
Thanks for you response.

The HP OEM came with Vista Business as default which was then removed for Windows XP. My machine still has the Microsoft Original Sticker which also has the key on it.
Why I want to do it is because my company has already paid for the Vista licences included in the cost of the PC and they are not being used.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 19:16   #63
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Thanks for you response.

The HP OEM came with Vista Business as default which was then removed for Windows XP. My machine still has the Microsoft Original Sticker which also has the key on it.
Why I want to do it is because my company has already paid for the Vista licences included in the cost of the PC and they are not being used.
E_T - like i said nothing prevents you from doing this - but you are breaking lot of policies with your company, HP and MS. I am also not sure if there is any way for any of the parties involved to to catch you, but keep in mind OEM software is tied to the hardware and unlike retail copy cannot be moved across hardware (yes even if it is not being moved on original equipment).
Take care buddy
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:42   #64
BHPian

Oh my God! I had been away for a while, what a wonderful thing has happened to my ex (Dell)!!!

Thats a wondeful project Kenden, I am glad you are happy with it, now why did I sell it to you and buy a MacBook Pro
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 15:16   #65
Senior - BHPian

Gopi! its a wonderful notebook. it was lying unused, so i thought of this. I am very happy especially with the warranty, they never asked me in whose name it was bought, they just asks the service tag number.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 17:48   #66
Senior - BHPian

Kenden.. any development with the wifi ?
kb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:56   #67
Senior - BHPian

am using a usb adaptor. none of the laptop that i have the broadcom, which is natively supported as airport.
Old 6th October 2009, 01:52   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Gopi! its a wonderful notebook. it was lying unused, so i thought of this. I am very happy especially with the warranty, they never asked me in whose name it was bought, they just asks the service tag number.
Ideally thats the way it should be - the warranty should be on the product, not on the owner :-)

I think there are not many companies who follow this - Apple, Dell, maybe Sony.

I remember HP/Compaq's policy that if the ownership is changed, the warranty is void!
gopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 08:34   #69
Senior - BHPian

@SirAlec :

I tried to install this on my machine which has following configuration.
Processor : X2 5000+
Mobo : MSI K9N Neo V3, MCP 65 ( nforce 560 )
Graphic card : TAG 9500GT.

I did manage to install it, but I am not able to connect internet and sound. Any workaround for this ?

Currently, I am back to XP as its the best OS I have ever seen till now. Windows 7 makes using computer a bit difficult.
If Mac works out, I want a dual boot machine with mac os and XP. Best of both worlds.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 22:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@SirAlec :

I tried to install this on my machine which has following configuration.
Processor : X2 5000+
Mobo : MSI K9N Neo V3, MCP 65 ( nforce 560 )
Graphic card : TAG 9500GT.

I did manage to install it, but I am not able to connect internet and sound. Any workaround for this ?

Currently, I am back to XP as its the best OS I have ever seen till now. Windows 7 makes using computer a bit difficult.
If Mac works out, I want a dual boot machine with mac os and XP. Best of both worlds.
So you tried on a desktop that too based on AMD. ? I should have known you are a great AMD fan.

nvidia MCP based ethernet card are not supported. Network card that are based on following are supported.
HCLPart - OSx86

Similarly following sound card are supported
HCLPart - OSx86
Old 27th October 2009, 19:15   #71
BHPian

Hi, After going through this thread, tried my luck in installing Mac OSX in my desktop pc. After failure from iAtkos, downloaded and installed iDeneb 10.5.7. Install was fine, not knowing what extras to be installed. Now, I am not able to boot into iDeneb, I get 2 errors as follows, 1. Memory allocation error 2. boot0: error If some one can help, will post exact details. T i A
dre@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 20:20   #72
Senior - BHPian

It can be many things. It depends upon the configuration of your system and what you chose on the customization screen.
Old 27th October 2009, 22:03   #73
BHPian

^^ I am really unsure what to choose on the customization screen, if needed, I can send my desktop details generated from cpu-z, so you can suggest a re-install is needed or just some tweaking. Will you?
Old 4th November 2009, 17:05   #74
BHPian

After getting some help in one other forum, re-installed iDeneb. Same issue. After some browsing in iDeneb website, tried to boot from DVD using,

rd disk1s1

Bingo!! MAC showed up in my desktop. What a cool OS.

Bad thing is, network and sound is still not working. Doing a research now.

Thanks to Alec and this thread, which pushed me to try out MAC on my desktop.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:11   #75
Senior - BHPian

I have installed 105.6 on my Thinkpad T61. Everything except the wireless works fine.

Maybe, this will make me a MAC fan, and I might end up buying something from them. Of course, I have a jailbroken iPhone 2G since 1.5 years.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote