Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th July 2017, 17:58   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Have tried that one and returned it back. It is limited to 100mbps and routing performance is not even that much. I have a 125mbps main connection and a 40mbps alternate now.

I was looking at the same ubiquiti AP plus their security gateway and a few other things.
Assuming you have the budget take a look at the Netgate 2440.

I've been using the Netgate 2440 security appliance with pfSense (an open source router firewall software) since early 2016 and it works beautifully. The pizza box (as I call it) functions as a VPN router/firewall plus an IDS/IPS system. It also has hardware support for encryption that comes in handy with my VPN.

It's comparatively expensive but will handle literally anything you throw at it up to Gb speeds and multiple WANs. For home/SOHO use it is a one-time & literally future proof investment.

https://store.netgate.com/ADI/RCC-VE-2440.aspx

This model (RCC-VE-2440) comes without pfSense installed. You'll need install and configure it yourself. Once upon a time this model cost about $150 less than the same model with factory installed version of the software here:

https://store.netgate.com/SG-2440.aspx

But now they're the same price..done possibly to encourage customers to buy the SG-2440 that comes with preloaded custom built and optimised version of pfSense. Purchases from Netgear fund open source pfSense research and development.

Other than the price (you will need to pay shipping and Customs Duty) the caveats are:

a) Familiarity with *NIX commands and networking fundamentals.
b) It will run off the built-in 32 GB MMC. But these have limited R/W cycles. So an inexpensive 64 or 128 GB SSD is recommended.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th July 2017 at 18:05. Reason: Typos
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 20:08   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Assuming you have the budget take a look at the Netgate 2440.
This looks more like it . Thanks for the recommendation!
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 07:22   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Massive offer on Google Home and CC bundle. Worth buying or are there far better routers available?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...one-25-10-off/
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2017, 12:18   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone facing problem with home wifi connection dropping off in their iphone mobile phones or tabs/ipads? In my s8+ and iphone/ipad, if i dont use the device for like 15-20 minutes with wifi on idle, i need to switch off the phone wifi and then again switch it on to finally get a connection. I have a single antenna wifi mtnl router. Is there a problem with wifi router or wifi settings?
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote