Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:24   #631
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Got myself TP-LINK TD-W8968 modem router, (after my Thomson SpeedTouch modem router conked off) which can act as a standalone router as well.

Comes with two external antennas, 300mbps wireless-N, has 1-USB port which can be used to connect various printers, external hard disk or even 3G/3.5G dongles.

Beautiful design as well. Tested by connecting two laptops and 3 phones and a tablet. Works flawlessly and has a really good range.

Even though it's from a lesser know brand (TP-Link) as compared to D-Link or Linksys it comes with 3 years warranty and is a real VFM.

Cost: 2500 INR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
I'm planning to take BSNL broadband as the Airtel 3G DataCard not sufficient for my multiple needs ( phones/smart tv etc). Since, there is no wifi router on stock by the bsnl people. They asked me to source it outside. Also, they told me that the similar router is available at their 3rd party dealers, we can buy it if we desire. this is the specification they provided, vmc an1020-21 bsnl modem. It costs around 2.1K.

Please tell me if this router good enough to connect 3 phones, 2 laptops and one wifi-enabled SMART TV for watching some movies from youtube. House is around 1000 sq.ft range.

I've limited budget ( below 3k). So, Kindly suggest a good router for me. I chose the UL 950 plan as I'll 4 Mbps speed upto 8 GB.
What you require is a "Modem-Cum-Router". Instead of buying from them a cheap quality router you can go for a better quality modem router from a different manufacturer for same or slightly more amount and get tons of additional features and a 3 year warranty.

I have quoted myself to help you in your decision.

I am quite happy with it's performance.

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:37   #632
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 24 Times
Thumbs up re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
What you require is a "Modem-Cum-Router". Instead of buying from them a cheap quality router you can go for a better quality modem router from a different manufacturer for same or slightly more amount and get tons of additional features and a 3 year warranty.

I have quoted myself to help you in your decision.

I am quite happy with it's performance.

Thanks.
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion mroptimist. This makes me to go with eyes-closed (after reading some reviews about the product). I just checked the online price and it varies btw 2500 to 2800. how about the service centers? any thoughts
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:38   #633
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 153 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Just getting back onto the grid here at Bangalore. BSNL service has been really bad, want to discontinue their service after being one of their first customers.
Thinking of airtel based on feedback , fingers crossed and current make do is by Airtel 3G dongle which works fine.
mazda4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:52   #634
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestion mroptimist. This makes me to go with eyes-closed (after reading some reviews about the product). I just checked the online price and it varies btw 2500 to 2800. how about the service centers? any thoughts
You are welcome Jebs.

Of the feedback I got from people who are selling routers at SP Road Bangalore, service of TP-Link is better than D-Link and many others owing to the fact that TP-Link is a new company and they are trying to establish themselves and they are yet to become complacent where as D-Link has become complacent.

I don't know about service centers of TP-Link but you can get info from their website.

Their products are also lightning resistant up to 4000 watt.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by mroptimist : 3rd June 2013 at 12:52. Reason: Added punctuation
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:12   #635
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
You are welcome Jebs.

Of the feedback I got from people who are selling routers at SP Road Bangalore, service of TP-Link is better than D-Link and many others owing to the fact that TP-Link is a new company and they are trying to establish themselves and they are yet to become complacent where as D-Link has become complacent.

I don't know about service centers of TP-Link but you can get info from their website.

Their products are also lightning resistant up to 4000 watt.

Hope it helps.
Great! Looks like the availability of this product seems an issue here in Chennai. Where did you buy this? Most of the online shops sells this as 2.7K only
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:39   #636
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Any pointers in Chennai where can I source this TP-LINK TD-W8968 router? I checked with Mercy electronics and Viveks none of them deals with TP-Link products. Please share if store selling this? otherwise, I've to rely on Online stores.
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:04   #637
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 92 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Hello Friends,
I have a unused TP-LINK TD-W8968 that I an willing to sell for 2200/-. I am based out of Kandivali (w) in Mumbai.

The story on the router goes like this: I live in a rented apartment with MTNL BB connected and hate the default router that comes with it. I then eventually move to a bigger place with the plan of Shifting my MTNL connection along. With this plan in mind, I order this ADSL router from Ebay and get it delivered in 2 days flat. I open the package as I always do before signing for the courier guy to make sure nothing is damaged. But as luck would have it the new apartment doesn't have MTNL lines active yet. My only option was Hathway but this is a DSL connection (Cable type) which now renders this new router useless. The ebay seller wouldn't accept it as the package is opened. I try to list it on Team-BHP Classified, but because of some change in Rules meant that I cant unused gadgets there anymore. It was a hasty decision by me in retrospect.

Anyway, if anyone is looking to buy this router for 2200/- (non-negotiable) is welcome to PM me or email on "m t v 1982 (@) gmail(.)com". It can be shipped if the buyer is ready to bear the charges.

For those curious about my current sorry state, I had a DSL Wireless router and I chose TP-Link WR841 and it works brilliantly.

Last edited by Zenster : 3rd June 2013 at 14:06.
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:31   #638
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 320
Thanked: 24 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

How good is D-Link DSL-2750U ? I just went around to enquire about wifi-routers. One shop had TP-Link 8968, but he quotes around 2.7k on order basis. He also suggests the D-Link 2750U which costs less and providing the features almost similar with better service support. I immediately called Mercy Electronics, they quote it around 2.3K for this D-Link.. Please spare your thoughts? I couldn't find any major difference between them. So still under confusion..

Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:48   #639
BHPian
 
mukeshgoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 734
Thanked: 368 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Any suggestions for 300 Mbps ADSL2+ Modem Router with USB and Gigabit Lan port ?
mukeshgoel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 18:22   #640
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
How good is D-Link DSL-2750U ? I just went around to enquire about wifi-routers. One shop had TP-Link 8968, but he quotes around 2.7k on order basis. He also suggests the D-Link 2750U which costs less and providing the features almost similar with better service support. I immediately called Mercy Electronics, they quote it around 2.3K for this D-Link.. Please spare your thoughts? I couldn't find any major difference between them. So still under confusion..
D-Link 2750U also has similar features and it can be a good buy. Take your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Any suggestions for 300 Mbps ADSL2+ Modem Router with USB and Gigabit Lan port ?
Many manufacturers offer modem-routers with the features you want. You just need to zero-in on a brand you are comfortable with and go with it after considering various things like VFM, warranty, service support, ability to withstand lightning etc.,

Some options from my side would be

1. TP-Link TD-W8970
2. ASUS DSL-N55U Annex A

I chose TP-Link TD-W8968 because it was real VFM, I had good experience with TP-Link products and it could withstand lightning (I have lost a couple of routers to lightning earlier).

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 13:03   #641
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 185
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Any suggestions for 300 Mbps ADSL2+ Modem Router with USB and Gigabit Lan port ?
Try Belkin Playmax Router Modem. I have been using this for an year now and is a very nice modem router combo. It has printer sharing but no 3G sharing options
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 11:39   #642
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I am thinking of going for Airtel 2Mbps broadband connection. They are offering a Jackson WiFi Router for Rs. 1500 & a DLink router for Rs. 2200. If I go for my own wifi router any suggestions on which one to go for? I am in a 2 bedroom apt & the router will be in hall & I will use it from the bedroom which is furthest away from the hall.

Also, I have an old (5 year old) BSNL Wifi Modem (Huawei, I think) - will it work with the Airtel connection?

Last edited by carboy : 7th September 2013 at 11:40.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 13:05   #643
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Also, I have an old (5 year old) BSNL Wifi Modem (Huawei, I think) - will it work with the Airtel connection?
If you plan to use the router for accessing media files, you might be better off buying a new one for yourself. Do look out for that aspect.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 13:10   #644
BHPian
 
mroptimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Perinthalmanna
Posts: 303
Thanked: 360 Times
Post re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am thinking of going for Airtel 2Mbps broadband connection. They are offering a Jackson WiFi Router for Rs. 1500 & a DLink router for Rs. 2200. If I go for my own wifi router any suggestions on which one to go for? I am in a 2 bedroom apt & the router will be in hall & I will use it from the bedroom which is furthest away from the hall.

Also, I have an old (5 year old) BSNL Wifi Modem (Huawei, I think) - will it work with the Airtel connection?
All modems work with all aDSL connection providers. You just need to know certain settings like PVI/PCI etc.,

You can also go for one device for both purposes like ADSL Modem cum Router.

Many manufacturers have such devices like D-Link, ASUS, TP-Link and Linksys. Choose based on your usage requirements and budget.

Thanks.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 13:57   #645
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you plan to use the router for accessing media files, you might be better off buying a new one for yourself. Do look out for that aspect.
Why can the BSNL modem not do media? For a modem any file should be stream of bytes or is it different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
All modems work with all aDSL connection providers. You just need to know certain settings like PVI/PCI etc.,

You can also go for one device for both purposes like ADSL Modem cum Router.
Yeah - that's what I am looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Many manufacturers have such devices like D-Link, ASUS, TP-Link and Linksys. Choose based on your usage requirements and budget.
So usage requirements should be considered while chosing a wifi router/modem?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about MiFi routers - data connectivity on the move! COUGAR Gadgets, Computers & Software 22 25th June 2013 21:38
GNS3 and Dynamips like tool for Alcatel Service Routers pb10gagan Shifting gears 1 5th November 2009 16:18
Cisco routers for self-study pranavt Gadgets, Computers & Software 11 11th April 2009 17:59
Info needed on selling used Cisco routers/switches. supremeBaleno Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 19th September 2008 18:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks