Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2014, 10:49   #781
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hibbing, MN
Posts: 73
Thanked: 21 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
Not possible to connect them wirelessly. netgear-wn3000rp-universal-wi-fi-range-extender/p/itmd6ffb7xwg49mv[/url] and the like) but they cause a drop in bandwidth (the techies may explain it better)
Planning to buy this, but thought i'd see if i can modify this router since its just lying unused.



Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
. Asus RT-AC68U AC1900 is one of the best routers, albeit a higher budget.
Bro was not happy with previous ASUS products hence ticked it off. Settled for the Netgear R6250 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
It is possible to wirelessly connect two routers if they are supported by the dd-wrt or tomato custom firmware. I have three such routers but you need to find a stable build.
Thanks for the this, wished they had my D-link router on this. but now i know where to go for my other routers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
The best thing to do if the building is still under construction is to lay a CAT6 cable from the primary router to where you want the secondary router located.
Thanks will inform him to do so!

Finally he settled on Netgear R6250 as we got a good deal on it
Diamond_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 21:05   #782
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 109 Times
Default

Hi,


I am looking for adsl modem with wi-fi, this for BSNL broadband connection.

Presently I have linksys wag120N. I am not happy with the same for two reason, one wi-fi connectivity is not stable, just resets or loss connectivity , even when adsl link is connected. Second thing the range is not good.

So here are my requirements.

1. Stable wi-fi connection with good adsl modem capability.
2. Very good range, my home is around 2400sqft, and modem will be in one corner of my study room, which itself in a corner. Need to access wi-fi across the home.

I have wi-fi repeater(D-link DIR 505) but not keen to use it.

Price is not an issue, I can go upto 6-8K.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 04:54   #783
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 110 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi,


I am looking for adsl modem with wi-fi, this for BSNL broadband connection.

Presently I have linksys wag120N. I am not happy with the same for two reason, one wi-fi connectivity is not stable, just resets or loss connectivity , even when adsl link is connected. Second thing the range is not good.

So here are my requirements.

1. Stable wi-fi connection with good adsl modem capability.
2. Very good range, my home is around 2400sqft, and modem will be in one corner of my study room, which itself in a corner. Need to access wi-fi across the home.

I have wi-fi repeater(D-link DIR 505) but not keen to use it.

Price is not an issue, I can go upto 6-8K.

For this area coverage you need some long range routers. Look at Netgear Nighthawk, Apple AirPort Extreme and similar. Even then coverage could be an issue without using repeaters. I use three wireless routers at home for similar coverage but still have dropped connections. So I have now installed two modems in two locations on the same line and switch on the one that I am closest to. This is a cheap solution till I pick up a couple of long range routers that will work well.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 06:21   #784
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,165 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
So here are my requirements.

1. Stable wi-fi connection with good adsl modem capability.
2. Very good range, my home is around 2400sqft, and modem will be in one corner of my study room, which itself in a corner. Need to access wi-fi across the home.
You should also look at one of those .1N, Dual Band Routers. Price however is in the higher range (I think 10+).
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 19:57   #785
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 408
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
For this area coverage you need some long range routers. Look at Netgear Nighthawk, Apple AirPort Extreme and similar. Even then coverage could be an issue without using repeaters. I use three wireless routers at home for similar coverage but still have dropped connections. So I have now installed two modems in two locations on the same line and switch on the one that I am closest to. This is a cheap solution till I pick up a couple of long range routers that will work well.
What I heard is that Apple Airport extreme works only with apple devices, while have iPad, iPod, I also have printer, desktop, laptop and 2 phones which are not apple devices.
Let me once again think over on the router option

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You should also look at one of those .1N, Dual Band Routers. Price however is in the higher range (I think 10+).
Thanks, although 10K is on higher side, but if this router addresses my requirements, then I am okay to spend that much money. I will have a look into the these routers. But what is this .1N routers?

Last edited by manjubp : 14th March 2014 at 20:10.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 20:13   #786
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 247
Thanked: 110 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
What I heard is that Apple Airport extreme works only with apple devices, while have iPad, iPod, I also have printer, desktop, laptop and 2 phones which are not apple devices.
Let me once again think over on the router option
This is not true. I have 3 Windows machines, Linux based NAS and a wireless printer and am sure that the routers I mention will work with Windows as well.
These are AC type routers and if you buy AC adapters for your laptops, you will get very high speed for intranet and wider range.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 20:55   #787
BHPian
 
blorebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Friends
My BSNL wired modem is dead. Need to buy a new one. Looking for your recommendation here are my requirements

1. Modem for BSNL Broadband connection
2. Need a WiFi to connect Laptop and phone
3. My Desktop is wired so should be able to access net through wire also
4. Should cover 1450 Sq flat + 3BHK from one corner to another
5. In future I might buy a 3G/4G dongle - looking for options if the price difference is not very high
6. Reliable, good quality and easy to configure
7. Budget is 1- 2 K
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2014, 22:14   #788
BHPian
 
Anupam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune - India
Posts: 259
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Friends
My BSNL wired modem is dead. Need to buy a new one. Looking for your recommendation here are my requirements

1. Modem for BSNL Broadband connection
2. Need a WiFi to connect Laptop and phone
3. My Desktop is wired so should be able to access net through wire also
4. Should cover 1450 Sq flat + 3BHK from one corner to another
5. In future I might buy a 3G/4G dongle - looking for options if the price difference is not very high
6. Reliable, good quality and easy to configure
7. Budget is 1- 2 K

Hi, why do you need a LAN for desktop, get a USB wifi adapter for you PC, I have been using it for years, it works flawless and costs around 800/-, saves you the headache of cabling

As for wifi modem router, I have been using beetle that came with initial airtel broadband connection over 7 yrs back and is still serving well, so feel free to consider a beetle which is also the cheapest around.

As we see here in the forum, even the expensive linksys pops up with technical issues, so why not consider the basic and be happy, beetle also have high range with dual antenna which will have large coverage, plus they also come with standard warranty
Anupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2014, 09:53   #789
BHPian
 
iamswift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Madras
Posts: 178
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Friends
My BSNL wired modem is dead. Need to buy a new one. Looking for your recommendation here are my requirements

1. Modem for BSNL Broadband connection
2. Need a WiFi to connect Laptop and phone
3. My Desktop is wired so should be able to access net through wire also
4. Should cover 1450 Sq flat + 3BHK from one corner to another
5. In future I might buy a 3G/4G dongle - looking for options if the price difference is not very high
6. Reliable, good quality and easy to configure
7. Budget is 1- 2 K
There are so many options.
You can check the brands: D-Link, NetGear and TP-Link. These are reliable and will be in your price range.
Go to flipcart or ebay and search for wifi routers with modem option - you will get umpteen devices showing up.
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2014, 14:28   #790
Lij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 99 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Friends
My BSNL wired modem is dead. Need to buy a new one. Looking for your recommendation here are my requirements

1. Modem for BSNL Broadband connection
2. Need a WiFi to connect Laptop and phone
3. My Desktop is wired so should be able to access net through wire also
4. Should cover 1450 Sq flat + 3BHK from one corner to another
5. In future I might buy a 3G/4G dongle - looking for options if the price difference is not very high
6. Reliable, good quality and easy to configure
7. Budget is 1- 2 K
I recently bought a D-link DSL 2750U modem-router through Amazon to go wifi for my MTNL broadband connection. The set-up is really very simple and serves well for my 2 BHK flat. Cost me Rs. 2050.
The range of the wifi will also depend on where you keep your modem and layout of your house.
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 18:00   #791
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

My suggestion would be to get a longer telephone cable connected from the ADSL splitter to the center of the house.
Then you can put a simple DLINK DSL-2750U which retails for around Rs. 2000 there.

In fact, you could buy a UPS just for this device for less than Rs. 2000 (provided the UPS is OK with the small load and does not auto-poweroff) and still save some money.




Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Hi,


I am looking for adsl modem with wi-fi, this for BSNL broadband connection.

Presently I have linksys wag120N. I am not happy with the same for two reason, one wi-fi connectivity is not stable, just resets or loss connectivity , even when adsl link is connected. Second thing the range is not good.

So here are my requirements.

1. Stable wi-fi connection with good adsl modem capability.
2. Very good range, my home is around 2400sqft, and modem will be in one corner of my study room, which itself in a corner. Need to access wi-fi across the home.

I have wi-fi repeater(D-link DIR 505) but not keen to use it.

Price is not an issue, I can go upto 6-8K.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:42   #792
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
What I heard is that Apple Airport extreme works only with apple devices, while have iPad, iPod, I also have printer, desktop, laptop and 2 phones which are not apple devices.
Let me once again think over on the router option

AirPort Extreme does work with all windows based devices. You can check the system requirements it clearly supports windows.You also have a window utility to configure the airport router if you don't have a mac.
The critical difference is you can connect any printer to the USB port of the airport to enable AirPrint that allows you to print directly from any of your apple devices like iPhone and iPad. There may be better routers but none can support AirPrint unless you install dd wrt and enable cups service.
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:03   #793
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I am using Digisol DG_BR4015N for the past few months with my Tata Photon Plus and am quite happy with it. The 4015N had to have a firmware upgrade before it started working but has been excellent. Now I plan to switch to Tata Photon Max, is this compatible with the new unit. Any other tested options?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2014, 16:39   #794
BHPian
 
blorebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 33 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I recently bought a D-link DSL 2750U modem-router through Amazon to go wifi for my MTNL broadband connection.
Thanks. Ordered the same at FKart yesterday costing 2010 INR.

@iamswift, @Anupam - Thanks for your inputs which helped me to research & decide.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:09   #795
BHPian
 
abishek2222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 355
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
you can connect any printer to the USB port of the airport to enable AirPrint that allows you to print directly from any of your apple devices like iPhone and iPad.
Sorry Airprint would be supported only when the connected printer supports airprint not otherwise. You can find a list of supported printers here
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356
abishek2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All about MiFi routers - data connectivity on the move! COUGAR Gadgets, Computers & Software 22 25th June 2013 21:38
GNS3 and Dynamips like tool for Alcatel Service Routers pb10gagan Shifting gears 1 5th November 2009 16:18
Cisco routers for self-study pranavt Gadgets, Computers & Software 11 11th April 2009 17:59
Info needed on selling used Cisco routers/switches. supremeBaleno Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 19th September 2008 18:58


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks