Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2005, 09:56   #16
RJK
Senior - BHPian
 
RJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 935
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Which Plasma TV?

So my father told me yesterday that he wants to buy a plasma TV. Budget it seems is around 1.5-2L I think. I don't have a clue about plasma TV's. So shoot with your suggestions. Boy am I jealous now..just 2 months since I got out of house & there's a plasma coming at home !
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 09:59   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 383 Times
Default

Hahahahaha -

Lots to choose from - Smasung , Videocon , LG , Sony all will fit right into the budget ur dad has there. Also with Diwali around the corner there will be some really great deals .

I would prefer a Philips though - as I have seen the Philips ambilight model and believe me it rocks . Uncle got it about 2 months ago - Cost = 2.65 lacs.

hope this helps
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 10:06   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,233
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default

I would choose the Hitachi it seemed to offer the best performance under 2L.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 11:31   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 48
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys,

Is is true that Sony and Samsung have collabaration in manufacturing LCD tvs? Yesterday visited local electronic shop for Sony Bravia series and sales man says Samsung is good in market and infact they are being supplied by Sony itself. I could not trust him but wanted to know the facts.

Also any opinions on Samsung LCD tvs? especially Bourdoex series? There is a huge price gap between them in Sonys and Philips

thanks in advance
pingmepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 12:06   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingmepal
Guys,

Is is true that Sony and Samsung have collabaration in manufacturing LCD tvs? Yesterday visited local electronic shop for Sony Bravia series and sales man says Samsung is good in market and infact they are being supplied by Sony itself. I could not trust him but wanted to know the facts.

Also any opinions on Samsung LCD tvs? especially Bourdoex series? There is a huge price gap between them in Sonys and Philips

thanks in advance
Samsung TVs are not made by Sony. However, they are pretty good, I've just picked up a 32 Bordeaux last week - really good picture and, as you've rightly said, a HUGE price difference. The 32 Bravia S series would have cost me around 110k (the V series is even higher), this was 82k, also, wall mount for the Sony costs around 3k more whereas it is free for the Samsung.

I have Sony as well as Samsung 21 inches in my house and honestly speaking I cannot see much difference between the two which is why I went for the Samsung LCD.....as it is, a lot is dependant on your cable guy (for example, in our apartment, the Master Bedroom & one other bedroom has the BEST internal wiring and hence best reception whereas the Living Room & other two bedrooms do not, hence difference in picture for same channels etc).

So I would suggest that you have a look at the Samsung before you make up your mind. Oh, and one other thing - if you are also contemplating a Home Theatre along with it, I would suggest that for the Home Theatre you pick the Sony over the Samsung...or, I'm told the Onkyo is pretty good as well.

Good luck!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 14:32   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

What Hi-Fi magazine had given fab reviews for Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas.
shuvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 19:42   #22
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,890 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK
Boy am I jealous now..just 2 months since I got out of house & there's a plasma coming at home !
Aah.... i was in that position about 6months back....so i shall rant >

Firstly, i dont watch TV much.

Secondly, i think no matter how "HD" a tv is, its still really dissapointing picture quality. Why not go for a high res DLP projector instead (my choice!!). Though then theres the problem of $$bulbs$$.

Thirdly, 16:9 widescreen. It will make your favourite programmes (which for you = Baywatch, Victorias secret fashion show, and FTV's lingerie ) look weird because it streches all those slim 4:3 women to fit the 16:9 frame. Takes some getting used to...unless ofcourse you are some DVD buff who is only gonna use his tv for watching 16:9 DVDs.

Next, get one of those set-top-boxes....it improves the picture quality a LOT.

and Finally, if you can get over all of the above, you will catch yourself watching TV a whole lot more than you used to, having friends over to watch football, and borrowing playstations for the realistic GT4 experience. (but still wishing you had a projector).

cya
R

ps - i have an LG...

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th July 2006 at 19:43.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2006, 19:58   #23
BHPian
 
Wheeliej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Hi, i had been considering Plasma tv's for a long time now, however was advised not to go in for Plasma, but to go in for LCD since plasma 'gas' dies away soon - starts as early as 30k hours, and LCD is supposed to last twice as long as plasma tv.

I compromised and got a LCD projector, and DVD's and stuff play very well, but have been unsuccessful in getting a good set-top box for Cable tv.... purchased a TV Tuner last weekend (so i could watch the fifa finals on big screen), however, was a BIG disappointment - the picture was grainy and the second half of the game was watched in B/w mode . Couldnt make out whether Zidane got a yellow or a red card....... had to change the channel to get to a news channel to find out what colour.

Will appreciate if anyone can suggest a good set-top box (and price) so that i get good quality cable tv
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 00:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sam Kapasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mumbai (but wat
Posts: 6,989
Thanked: 1,383 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej
Hi, i had been considering Plasma tv's for a long time now, however was advised not to go in for Plasma, but to go in for LCD since plasma 'gas' dies away soon - starts as early as 30k hours,
Hi Wheelie,

Lets put this into perpective, shall we?

30,000 hours you say? -

Thats true for slightly older plasma panels.

On an average a person would not watch more than 3 to 4 hours of TV a day on average. I average it out because there are days you dont watch TV at all. When you are at work, or holiday for example.

But let's take an average of 5 hours every single day of your life.
You would then be able to watch TV for 6000 days. (6000X5 is 30k)Thats about 16 and a half years.

However the news generation plasma panels last longer. Sharp claims 60,000 hours. Thats about 33 years of TV.

Even if you watched TV for 8 hours straight every single day of your life
It's still 21 years of plasma TV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej
I compromised and got a LCD projector...
I love projectors, love the big screen experience. LCD projectors lamps generally only have a life expectancy of 2000 to 3000 hours on an average (now THATS low) and the lamp generally costs 35-50% of the projector cost.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th July 2006 at 01:00.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 02:36   #25
BHPian
 
prasadee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego
Posts: 549
Thanked: 194 Times
Default

Once you decide on a brand and model, make sure the TV has HDMI inputs. Most of the newer TVs have HDMI/DVI, but I love the HDMI cables. Some of the older TVs on sale may miss these connectors. I hooked up a HD-DVR to a Philips plasma, & it made a world of difference compared to component/analog cables.
-Prasadee
prasadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 12:41   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
shuvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 2,895
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Even if you watched TV for 8 hours straight every single day of your life
It's still 21 years of plasma TV.
hmmm .. given that, it's probably wiser to go in for Plasma's now ? Plasma prices seem to be dropping faster than LCDs.
Btw, how overpriced are LCDs in India ? I recall seeing some Sony Bravia prices in Bahts at some Thai website .. and they were almost 1/2 the price of the Bravia's being sold here .. If so, prices should drop a lot more by next years cricket world cup ?


Also, check out these sites for some inputs.
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/
http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Last edited by shuvc : 11th July 2006 at 12:42.
shuvc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2006, 13:40   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOIDA
Posts: 201
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Go with Samsung

I have worked with samsung.
I know the in and out's
Quality wise and service wise.
I would suggest you go with samsung.

Samsung is a good company in terms of Quality of Goods and service Network.

Thanks
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 10:49   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,561
Thanked: 80,342 Times
Default

I just got a Sony 32inch LCD for my room and its fabulous! The initial setup, however, sucked and it took a lot of fine tuning to get the picture quality to my expectations.

In the grey market, the 32 Sony is available for 79K.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 13:04   #29
BHPian
 
Wheeliej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 278
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
On an average a person would not watch more than 3 to 4 hours of TV a day on average. I average it out because there are days you dont watch TV at all. When you are at work, or holiday for example.

.
Ours is not an 'average' household, my friend..... since mom is at home.... and she doesnt sleep very well, at her age.... our TV, which is in her room, is on for atleast 16 hours each day..... on weekends, it is on almost throughout..... in any case the huge upfront cost put me off....

re. lamp replacement for projector, the dealer said that it will be atleast a couple of years and by then the lamp price for this model will have reduced considerably.
Wheeliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2006, 13:28   #30
Team-BHP Support
 
manson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,496
Thanked: 1,821 Times
Default

guys how much for a 21' plasma for a bedroom. any suggestions on brands/models?

manson.
manson is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Bullet to buy?.. or should actually I buy one? EDIT its TBTS schitre05 Motorbikes 149 13th August 2015 15:54
red stripe on plasma paras211 Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 6th September 2009 17:23
Do NOT buy FINEX plasma TV brianbandra Shifting gears 16 16th April 2008 10:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks