Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th September 2009, 13:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Microsoft's Security Essential released

Microsoft has released its free anti-virus program, Security Essential yesterday.

It is available for download @ Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials

Have read comments on how this was essentially what LiveCare was supposed to be, but never made it. Hope they got it right this time.

So, who all taking the plunge?

I plan to do it later today evening.

Do we have any Microsoft Beta testers here? If so, what is the review of this latest and greatest from M$?

Press release from IndiaTimes: ( Microsoft's free antivirus is here- Software & Services-News-Indiatimes - Infotech )

"REDMOND: Microsoft Corp says its new computer security program can be downloaded starting on Tuesday.

Microsoft Security Essentials, as the free antivirus software is called, has been available in a beta test version since June.

The software updates daily to stay current with the latest malicious programs, which can steal passwords or turn PCs into spam servers. Microsoft says it won't make computers run slower.

Microsoft has said it isn't out to steal business from companies like McAfee Inc. and Symantec Corp., which make popular antivirus programs with more features. Microsoft says it hopes the free program will appeal to people who don't already run antivirus software."
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 15:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

This has more to do with curbing piracy rather than offering anti virus. Definitely, the freeware is here so that people will download and install it. Now those OS which are pirated will be affected the most.

Only those who have genuine OS will try this.

It would be worth to look at how good this software actually is when it comes to performing antivirus duties.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 15:43   #3
BHPian

Will try to download today and see how well it works.
Since i am running my laptop without an Anti virus its not a bad option to try.
RishiSuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hear it will need Windows Genuine validation to work.

Rishi: Are you running genuine or pirated?
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 16:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes, one of the requirements is having an authentic copy.

As mentioned in the Vista thread, I am having issues with the Security Center, even though it is working properly. I am using Avast, so, moving to SE to check it would not be an issue.

Maybe the first basic test I will do will be the EICAR test. It should definitely clear that!
Old 30th September 2009, 17:19   #6
BHPian

Looks promising stuff. Will give it a try for sure.
hondafanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 22:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

And the big guns are out!

From Rivals mock Microsoft's free security software

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Computerworld - Although one of the top consumer security vendors welcomed Microsoft's Security Essentials to the market, another dismissed the new free software as a "poor product" that will "never be up to snuff."

Earlier today, Microsoft launched Security Essentials, its free antivirus and antispyware software suite, which has been in development for almost a year.

"I think it's a good thing that they're in the market," said Carol Carpenter, the general manager of Trend Micro's consumer division. "We look forward to the competition ... and I think Microsoft's targeting of developing countries and the unprotected is a good approach."

Microsoft has pitched Security Essentials, which replaced the now-defunct for-a-fee Windows OneCare, as basic software suitable for users who can't, or won't, pay for security software.

Not everyone, however, agreed with Carpenter.

"Security Essentials won't change anything," said Jens Meggers, Symantec's vice president of engineering. "Microsoft has a really bad track record in security," he added, ticking off several ventures into consumer security that the giant has tried, including Windows Defender, an anti-spyware tool bundled with Windows Vista and Windows 7; the released-monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool; and OneCare.

"Like OneCare, Security Essentials is a poor product," said Meggers. "It has very average detection rates. And now they've decided to go for the free market, but that's a very crowded market. There's not much room to grow there."

In a company blog, another Symantec employee called Security Essentials a "rerun" of OneCare, and said: "At the end of the day, Microsoft Security Essentials is a rerun no one should watch."

It's no surprise that top-tier security vendors like Trend Micro and Symantec dismissed Security Essentials today. They did the same thing last year, when Microsoft announced the upcoming demise of OneCare and said it would ship a free, streamlined product. At the time, a Symantec executive said it was a capitulation by Microsoft, which was tacitly admitting it couldn't compete.

But Meggers' take today was even more bearish. "We don't like the notion of 'basic,'" he said. "That makes me very worried, because the risk on the Web today is far too high for 'basic.' Tossing a bunch of little basic tools into the computing environment doesn't make it safe."

Even Carpenter had some unkind words for Microsoft. "It's better to use something than to use nothing, but you get what you pay for," she said. "But I don't think it will worry the main security vendors. If I were a free, focused security company, trying to get my upsell over time, like AVG [Technologies], then I'd be concerned."

Symantec's Meggers also wondered what took Microsoft so long to come up with Security Essentials. "It takes them an entire year to remove features from OneCare, to make something even worse than OneCare?" Meggers asked. "I could have done that with three developers in three months."

And that's a good clue that Microsoft won't be able to keep up with the likes of Symantec, Trend Micro and McAfee, Meggers added. "Look how long it took them to build it. Security needs constant innovation. When was the last time that Microsoft innovated?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had installed SE and the windows Security Center does not detect it! It now keeps giving me the error that no anti-virus is present!!! Duh!!!
Old 1st October 2009, 11:16   #8
BHPian

I installed it and it totally messed up the performance while browsing. Particularly while browsing through IE8 (strange!.Opera seemed to work fine). Everytime I type a URL, the whole browser would hang and come back after ages. After uninstall it was sorted out.
Looks like its work in progress I hope they sort out all issues by the time my Kaspersky license expires!
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Stay away from this M$ offering !

If you want a free AV, use Avira.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:49   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

If you need free AV then two of the best in the business (and light on resources) are Avira Antivir and Avast. Microsoft's One Care was just average, lets see how this one performs, no great expectations though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf avc_report23.pdf (375.0 KB, 202 views)
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 12:22   #11
BHPian

I replaced my McAfee (subscription runout) with Microsoft SE. The new system setup fine but I was shocked to see that net access was blocked though I am able to reach the MTNL router through my Wireless Router. I find that the dynamic IP linking has been prevented and reverted to a static IP selection which was responsible for my problems.

I have bound my mac address in the wireless router to an IP which has to be obtained by laptop. This got disturbed by SE.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote