Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th November 2009, 14:54   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Is this lack of interest typical of the female species or is my wife the odd one out? Thankfully, she never stops me from indulging in my "weird" hobbies, nor cribs about the money I throw into pursuing my interests.
Your wife is not the odd one out. Suppose most wives share the same lack of interest.
Atleast you are lucky that she is not stopping you from indulging. In my case money spent on gadgets which I fancy may end up in my spending triple that amount on her fancies ( read jewelery / dress ) as a sort of "quid pro quo" !!

Last edited by emkay456 : 27th November 2009 at 14:57.
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 17:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Your wife is not the odd one out. Suppose most wives share the same lack of interest.
Atleast you are lucky that she is not stopping you from indulging. In my case money spent on gadgets which I fancy may end up in my spending triple that amount on her fancies ( read jewelery / dress ) as a sort of "quid pro quo" !!
Long back, while I was on a long medical leave, it was my wife who suggested buying a PC, knowing my interest in such things. I had not yet thought of it. Soon I became addicted and after 13 years, I managed to force her learn to shut it down. Also, over the years my attempt to teach her to drive failed. And she is a post graduate and not fond of jewelery or dress.
janitha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
I've even tried it from an aircraft (after switching the phone into offline or "flight" mode). While I got a lock when stationary/taxiing, once the plane lifted off it refused to work. :(
Were you on in a jet plane? I think since it flies on 10+ KM altitude, GPS might have problems. That is GPS chip on end user devices. I think special GPS units (HP ???) are required to work on that altitude.

GPS works fine on turboprop lanes. This is capture from landing of a turboprop. Captured with radio off.

GPS Navigation for Mobile Phones-gps_turboprop.jpg
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:25   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Were you on in a jet plane? I think since it flies on 10+ KM altitude, GPS might have problems. That is GPS chip on end user devices. I think special GPS units (HP???) are required to work on that altitude.
I was on a jet plane and using the basic GPS function built into my N95. It must be the high speed rather than the altitude that caused the GPS lock to fail. It was working when the plane taxied down the runway but lost it as soon as it went airborne. The speed would have been (I guess) ~300 kmph but the altitude was definitely low (<1000m) at the time.

Last edited by Edsel Rulez! : 27th November 2009 at 18:26.
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I was using similar GPS (Nokia N82). Max speed that GPS got was around 400 kmps.

maybe during takeoff GPS would have lost sight of satellites as soon as plane would bank to left/right after liftoff.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 18:50   #21
Team-BHP Support

I am flying next weekend.
Will test it out.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 03:33   #22
BHPian

In Addition to the HTC Phones, The Nokia 5800 also has a very decent interface for Maps. I use Google Maps on my Nokia 5800. Works like a charm. The only trouble is getting a GPS Lock. Even after going to my appartments' terrace, I am unable to get a lock!!
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 12:10   #23
Team-BHP Support

I flew in a Hyderabad to Kolkatta bound Kingfisher flight.

Did a gps lock as the flight was taxing.
Take off speed was 140 kmph.
Then the ascent was very well captured.
It was remarkable watching the numbers climb.
I then switched off the gps as I needed the battery life.

Again went online during mid flight.
Altitude of 4 km and speed of 800 kmph.
I was at the window seat.

Landing was at 240 kmph or so.

There was an issue with GPS coverage at low altitudes.
It would come and go. Especially around the 500 meters height.

The Altitude reading would come up correctly and then suddenly show wrong values.
It needed to keep correcting itself.
The speed had no such issues.

I was checking it against values shown in the in-flight entertainment system.

Last edited by bblost : 8th December 2009 at 12:11.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 14:27   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
And she is a post graduate and not fond of jewelery or dress.
I hope you did not mean that PG ladies are abnormal and do not have a taste for jewellery and dress !!
emkay456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:16   #25
BHPian

Thumbs up MMI on my mobile

Hi,

I am using map my india on my symbian mobile for last 1 month. This is my first experience with a navigation system and I am liking it. It does the basics for me -

1. Shows map and the planned route when offline (I check it prior to journey)

2. Shows relevant POI on map thoughout the route

3. Gives valid voice signals timely.

4. Re-calculates the route from my current point, if I miss the suggested route on a particular turning, say.

Small issues that I obeserved though -

1. The startup time (application starts immediately bu GPS connection has a long lag) is too much; sometimes I travel 2-3 kms before it connects to GPS.

2. At signal, when the car is motionless, the GPS turns weird. It keeps rotating the map and gives n number of instructions to turn left, right, up, down, away whereas all I am supposed to do is wait for the green light to move straight ahead!
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:26   #26
BHPian

I got a bit lost in Mysore while driving back from Calicut to Hyderabad last weekend. I had strayed away from my regular route ( via palace, bus station etc ) as I wanted to drive past the zoo for a change. I suddenly realized that I was driving into a residential area, and had the presence of mind to run google maps on my mobile and query for direction to bangalore. It directed me quite nicely and quickly onto the bangalore road. This is my only experience with navigation ( not using a proper GPS set though ) in an unknown city in India. I rarely need to use it in Hyderabad anyway.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 20:40   #27
BHPian

Question which mobile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by santsharan View Post
I am using map my india on my symbian mobile for last 1 month.
Which mobile (and model number) is it?
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 19:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Which mobile (and model number) is it?
The mobile phone is a Sony Ericsson SATIO. It has a 3.5" screen which is beneficial while using GPS in the car (I use it on a mobile holder that's stuck on the windscreen)!
santsharan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 20:04   #29
BHPian

I have HTC HD2 and bought navigon maps to test its gps capability here in USA. Here are the things i noticed.

1. It takes a very long time to connect to the satellites compared to regular GPS devices.
2. If its a stormy day or the sky is very cloudy, it is not able to locate our position correctly. I was driving in I-75, and my HTC said i am in the middle of no where and asked me to go to some unknown place.
Ford_madhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 21:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

I use Google maps extensively and one thing I found that with Google maps it initially shows the approximate position (which itself is very much correct) and then it locks to the satellites in a much faster time. Probably the AGPS functionality is integrated in a better way to Google maps. With nokia sportracker it sometimes takes eternity to lock on to satellite. With the Route 66 map that came preloaded, it's kind of in between, sometimes it locks on fast and sometimes it just couldn't. Phone is Nokia 6110 Navigator.
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote