Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th November 2010, 20:46   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice Is a PND superior in any way?

I am wondering if I should spend $250 on a PND if its going to go the way of the dodo.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 20:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

I am wondering if I should spend $250 on a PND if its going to go the way of the dodo.
a PND belongs to the car. the phone belongs to you. so if you have your wife/guest decided to take the car, or you have multiple cars, or you forgot to charge your phone, or you decide to take a long call while driving, the PND will still be there working without interruptions.

on the other hand, you can browse internet, search/select your favorites on your phone and you never have to enter anything on PND, you can even call local restaurant directly while navigating.

personally I prefer PND, have one in each of my cars. I bought garmin 855 for USD 130, absolute VFM currently (less than half of your estimate). using the traffic radio from my garmin 755 with 855 when i go on long trips.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 21:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

For me,PND can be additional headache,here in india,it can be a Eye Candy for theives,hence,i would always be skeptical,while leaving it inside a parked car.
Also the iphone does everything a PND does,and More.
With the belkin dock,you get a car mount,a hands free too.
and you can carry it around when not in car.
Also,you can play music and use Voice navigation simultaneously.
The music stops momentarily when the GPS gives a Voice command,and then it resumes.
The screen size is decent too,though with voice navigation,you hardly need to look at the screen.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 23:04   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Also the iphone does everything a PND does,and More..
I heard that there is an issue with how quickly it catches satellites etc. But I guess it varies from device to device. For sure the next gen phones will fix everything. Net net PND=Dodo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
personally I prefer PND, have one in each of my cars. I bought garmin 855 for USD 130, absolute VFM currently (less than half of your estimate). using the traffic radio from my garmin 755 with 855 when i go on long trips.
Been using a PND here for about 3 years now and I it. Thinking of getting a Nuvi 265 from here+7K for the India map for my folks. Hence the $250 est.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 23:57   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Nope they are not superior in any form. Some claim they get a GPS lock quicker than a mobile but thats untrue. Try any recent HTC mobile and they lock on quick. In fact these days I load up tomtom and set off on my journey and it manages to get a GPS lock on the journey (I use for traffic camera alerts).
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2010, 08:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that there is an issue with how quickly it catches satellites etc. But I guess it varies from device to device. For sure the next gen phones will fix everything. Net net PND=Dodo?

Been using a PND here for about 3 years now and I it. Thinking of getting a Nuvi 265 from here+7K for the India map for my folks. Hence the $250 est.
Not sure about other phones.
But my Iphone 3GS connects to satellites within seconds,even on a Cold start(and i am referring to GPS,not A-GPS).(tested with various apps).
I had a Magellan GPS Explorist,and it used to take upto 5 mins on a Cold start.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 6th November 2010 at 08:28.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 15:13   #52
BHPian

Default Re: GPS Navigation for Mobile Phones

I have been using Brut maps on my HTC desire (since Google Navigation does not work in India) and it was working brilliantly. From yesterday Brut Navigation has stopped working and is giving the very same message like Google Niavigation that "Navigation is not supported in India".. Has anyone faced similar issue? I understand the Google Maps 5.0 with 3D maps is avaialable in Android market. Planning to download this tomorrow and also to reintall Brut maps.. Any thought before that is welcome
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2011, 16:46   #53

May be PNDs or IPhones are good for navigation but I am using GPS Bluetooth Receiver as I don't have GPS in my mobile. And believe me it is working absolutely fine.
geeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 07:38   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
May be PNDs or IPhones are good for navigation but I am using GPS Bluetooth Receiver as I don't have GPS in my mobile. And believe me it is working absolutely fine.
Does this GPS B/T has a screen or you are pairing with laptop etc.?

Cheers
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:04   #55
BHPian

Try Nokia 5230. GPS navigation at an unbelievable price (Rs.7500 approx)
Dreadnought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 20:29   #56
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I recently purchased nokia 5230;
seriously u can't compare Google maps with OVI maps.
But OVI is pretty good.
But awesome part is Voice navigation is amazing.

Best is also; u also get car suction stand ; quality is good.

mobile price: Rs 7050 at spice telecom.
navrddy is offline   Reply With Quote