Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th October 2009, 10:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Pls help me Urgent: Help me to connect ipod classic to amplifier

Dear All

First of all thanks to reign of chaos for helping me buy the following home entertainment set up over the last 1 year. This is my existing set up:
1. Pioneer 42 Plasma
2. Marantz SR5600 amplifier
3. Morduant Short 5 speakers+woofer
4. Pioneer DVD

I have recently purchased an ipod classic 160 gb. I can hook it up to my amplifier through DVD player and get output from my HT. However, the interface is lousy and the DVD player overrides the ipod menu. result: no control and choice.

I now have 2 options:
1. get something that will connect the ipod to the amp. so that the input is controlled by ipod and I get the output through my home speaker.
2. get independent set up like Audio Engine 5. This costs around 19K.
3. sound dock (not acceptable)

Obviously, 1 is cheaper by a huge margin. I think Apple has some component cable which can be used to get output from home theatre/amplifier. This will be a lot cheaper. Is this available in India and Delhi.

My main objectives are:
1. controlling input on ipod or an acceptable option that gives me control and choice over songs, playlists, etc.
2. output through my existing HT (lot cheaper than buying AE 5).

regards
Pls. help.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 11:43   #2
BHPian

Hi Vasudeva. I had a similar situation with my Nano 8gb. What I did is Connect the ipod to one of the options (tape/video) and play. I used a Y rca chord( 2pins at one side and single pin on the other). I dont know whether this procedure is recommended, But I am enjoying the music.

PS : I own a ROTEL Rx830 amp (vintage material).

Last edited by mnhegde : 5th October 2009 at 11:44.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 17:14   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

1. Pioneer 42 Plasma
2. Marantz SR5600 amplifier
3. Morduant Short 5 speakers+woofer
4. Pioneer DVD

I have recently purchased an ipod classic 160 gb. I can hook it up to my amplifier through DVD player and get output from my HT. However, the interface is lousy and the DVD player overrides the ipod menu. result: no control and choice.

I now have 2 options:
1. get something that will connect the ipod to the amp. so that the input is controlled by ipod and I get the output through my home speaker.

My main objectives are:
1. controlling input on ipod or an acceptable option that gives me control and choice over songs, playlists, etc.
2. output through my existing HT (lot cheaper than buying AE 5).
Marantz makes a series of docks for the 5600 called the IS301, IS201 etc..

a more available option is the Apple dock linke below
Power - Apple Store (U.S.)

even cheaper are some docks made by 3rd party soruces like Y.E.S etc. that retail for under Rs. 1000 at stores like Heera Panna in Mumbai.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote