Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 23:02   #1906
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Gosh, if i had the option of someone coming from US, i would order the lappy from them and save 15 grand or more
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:45   #1907
BHPian
 
cargirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default

Hi guys, I need to buy a new laptop soon. Need advice on which is the best among the following brands. Among other things, my main criteria is that it should last me at least 3 years (my current IBM Thinkpad celebrates its 5th anniversary this October!), and should not give any problems, coz I don't have the time and patience to go to service centres. Here's my shortlist (in random order):

1. Lenovo
2. Dell
3. HP Compaq

Thanks in advance.
cargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:57   #1908
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
Hi guys, I need to buy a new laptop soon. Need advice on which is the best among the following brands. Among other things, my main criteria is that it should last me at least 3 years (my current IBM Thinkpad celebrates its 5th anniversary this October!), and should not give any problems, coz I don't have the time and patience to go to service centres. Here's my shortlist (in random order):

1. Lenovo
2. Dell
3. HP Compaq

Thanks in advance.
No brainer.
1.Dell
2.Hp
3.Lenova.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:59   #1909
BHPian
 
wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DXB
Posts: 261
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
This one looks good, definatly will consider this one, thanks.
Stefanm, have a look at this link. It'll give you the HP models available here along with the prices in Dubai.
http://jumbocorp.com/prd_listing.asp?bbrd=42&bcat=23

If you have any specific requirements on the configuration, let me know. I keep visiting these places with my cousin who has been looking at laptops for the past 3 - 4 months. So I'll be able to check it up for you and update you with the prices.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:04   #1910
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Kerala
Posts: 4,564
Thanked: 2,776 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
Hi guys, I need to buy a new laptop soon. Need advice on which is the best among the following brands. Among other things, my main criteria is that it should last me at least 3 years (my current IBM Thinkpad celebrates its 5th anniversary this October!), and should not give any problems, coz I don't have the time and patience to go to service centres. Here's my shortlist (in random order):

1. Lenovo
2. Dell
3. HP Compaq

Thanks in advance.
If it's build and toughness i would rate Lenovo Thinkpad > HP >= Dell > Compaq.

Choose Dell for the service center that comes to you. Thinkpad is what i would go for for build.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:12   #1911
BHPian
 
wheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DXB
Posts: 261
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargirl View Post
Hi guys, I need to buy a new laptop soon. Need advice on which is the best among the following brands. Among other things, my main criteria is that it should last me at least 3 years (my current IBM Thinkpad celebrates its 5th anniversary this October!), and should not give any problems, coz I don't have the time and patience to go to service centres. Here's my shortlist (in random order):

1. Lenovo
2. Dell
3. HP Compaq

Thanks in advance.
Cargirl, since you are used to the Thinkpad, why don't you check out the Thinkpad SL 400? It has the reliability and backing of the Thinkpad series and the functionality of a good multimedia laptop at a very affordable price (AED 3000 here which is approx Rs40000).

Config as below:
• Intel® Centrino® Processor Technology Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6570 (2.10 GHz)
• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
• Microsoft Office® Ready PC
• 14.1 inch WXGA TFT (1440 x 900)
• 320GB HDD, 3GB RAM
• Integrated Fingerprint Reader and Camera
• HDMI, HD Audio
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:29   #1912
BHPian
 
stefanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 212
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Thanks for the inputs so far, I have pretty much decided to go for a dell studio 15, having checked out their pricing in the US with regards to my required upgrades, the pricing is almost the same, I will probably book the machine tomorrow. The reason for going for dell is 1:Great service and 2: Great options for my requirements and 3: The build quality and performance of the monitor are superior to the Acer that I was considering. I have increased my budget due to the fact that I no longer require to invest in a showroom and will be working predominantly from my home to start with. I have chosen the base model which retails at Rs 41,999 and added extras mostly based on performance, the specs are as follows.
1: Colour, Plum Purple (wifes choice)
2: Intel C2D T6500 (Std)
3: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (Std)
4: 1 Year Accidental Damage Cover
5: FULL HD Display (1920x1080) - (I require hi res and if required I can hook up to LCD TV's & Monitors)
6: 4GB Ram (Std. is 3GB)
7: 320GB Hard Drive 7200RPM (Need for speed)
8: Std DVD writer
9: ATI 512MB Radeon HD4570 (Again need for speed)
10: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI MB Software (Not sure why I ticked this option, please advise?)
11: Std network wi-fi card
12: Std Palmrest
13: Belkin Backpack
14: Std Keyboard (Don't see the need for backlighting?)
15: McAfee A/v 15 months (Is this worth it?, I have been using free software with no probs for a long time, Zonealarm, Avira, Spybot and Malwarebytes)
16: The total price comes to Rs 51,905.70+900bucks for delivery within 7 days

How does this spec sound guys? Please advise on my options.

Cheers,

Stefan
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:38   #1913
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,045
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default

Just got an Acer Timeline 3810T. Absolute beauty, 13", no DVD, 2GB, Core 2 Solo, 3MB cache, Vista Home Premium... 1.6kg, 8 hour battery life, runs COOOOL.

They also have 4810T (14"), and 5810 (15") both with DVD. About 1.9kg.

Beats my old HP6226 hollow.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:42   #1914
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
If it's build and toughness i would rate Lenovo Thinkpad > HP >= Dell > Compaq.

Choose Dell for the service center that comes to you. Thinkpad is what i would go for for build.
Nothing to beat the Lenovo on built quality. Even the S10 feels solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Thanks for the inputs so far, I have pretty much decided to go for a dell studio 15, having checked out their pricing in the US with regards to my required upgrades, the pricing is almost the same, I will probably book the machine tomorrow. The reason for going for dell is 1:Great service and 2: Great options for my requirements and 3: The build quality and performance of the monitor are superior to the Acer that I was considering. I have increased my budget due to the fact that I no longer require to invest in a showroom and will be working predominantly from my home to start with. I have chosen the base model which retails at Rs 41,999 and added extras mostly based on performance, the specs are as follows.
1: Colour, Plum Purple (wifes choice)
2: Intel C2D T6500 (Std)
3: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (Std)
4: 1 Year Accidental Damage Cover
5: FULL HD Display (1920x1080) - (I require hi res and if required I can hook up to LCD TV's & Monitors)
6: 4GB Ram (Std. is 3GB)
7: 320GB Hard Drive 7200RPM (Need for speed)
8: Std DVD writer
9: ATI 512MB Radeon HD4570 (Again need for speed)
10: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI MB Software (Not sure why I ticked this option, please advise?)
11: Std network wi-fi card
12: Std Palmrest
13: Belkin Backpack
14: Std Keyboard (Don't see the need for backlighting?)
15: McAfee A/v 15 months (Is this worth it?, I have been using free software with no probs for a long time, Zonealarm, Avira, Spybot and Malwarebytes)
16: The total price comes to Rs 51,905.70+900bucks for delivery within 7 days

How does this spec sound guys? Please advise on my options.

Cheers,

Stefan
Opt for the free Windows & upgrade . Vista doesnt support 4GB and hence you will only see 3GB!

And isnt this costly? IIRC Sankar got similar spec for 45-47k.

And standard writer? A dual one right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just got an Acer Timeline 3810T. Absolute beauty, 13", no DVD, 2GB, Core 2 Solo, 3MB cache, Vista Home Premium... 1.6kg, 8 hour battery life, runs COOOOL.

They also have 4810T (14"), and 5810 (15") both with DVD. About 1.9kg.

Beats my old HP6226 hollow.

Saw one. Its pretty slim and light.4810 costs 35l with bill. Solo processor though. How much did this cost?

Last edited by jkdas : 28th August 2009 at 22:44.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:44   #1915
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,045
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default

@jkdas: I have 4GB in my Vista desktop! a 32bit OS can support up to 4GB!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:47   #1916
Distinguished - BHPian
 
jkdas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Thiruvananthapu
Posts: 9,635
Thanked: 1,343 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@jkdas: I have 4GB in my Vista desktop! a 32bit OS can support up to 4GB!
Sorry! 64bit one based on my experience with HP DV7

3810 comes with Core 2 and Solo option right?

//Intel® Core™2 Duo ultra low voltage processor SU9400 or Intel® Core™2 Solo ultra low voltage processor SU3500
Light as your time can be

Last edited by jkdas : 28th August 2009 at 22:56.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:52   #1917
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@jkdas: I have 4GB in my Vista desktop! a 32bit OS can support up to 4GB!
+1 to that. Even I have 4GB running on my Vista though it is 64-bit OS.

Stefan, 53K sounds too expensive for the specs.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 22:53   #1918
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,045
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

3810 comes with Core 2 and Solo option right?
No the entire family is Core 2 Solo. This a a single core ultra low voltage design of Intel. The 3MB cache (against 2MB in Core 2 Duo) helps. I do see 100% CPU utilisation more often but performance is more than adequate. I have run a movie and CorelDraw editing with no glitches. 5810 has 3GB RAM and 320GB HDD and numeric keypad. Others are 2GB + 250GB!

As for 4GB RAM I have a Zenith Quad Core (Intel motherboard) with 32-bit Vista Home Premium OS.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:07   #1919
BHPian
 
stefanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Goa
Posts: 212
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

JK the standard writer is dual layer, the upgrade is for blueray, not interest at the moment with blueray as i have an Oppo dvd player which gives an awsome upscale, only trouble is that there is nowhere here to rent pukka quality dvd's! the upgrades i have gone for are 2.1k for the monitor, 643 for the colour, 843 for the damage cover, 1k for the extra Gb ram, 750 for the harddrive upgrade, 1.1k for the upgrade on the graphics to 512mb, 428 for soundblaster software, 1.1k for the 9cell battery upgrade, Mcafee software 1.2k and 1.1k for the carrycase. W7 upgrade is standard I believe? This seems to work out as the best price for my requirements, i could have made the pricing much less, but perfermance vs. Paise has to be balanced, Lenovo's pricing is higher I believe and what i have seen was similar spec to the Acer 5738G with a smaller screen for the same as my dell configuration.

The reason I'm opting for 32bit vista is i need to network and tranfer software from my desktop which is running xp 32bit.

Last edited by stefanm : 28th August 2009 at 23:09.
stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 23:19   #1920
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,045
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default

@jkdas: The prices are about 32k, 34k, 36k. Add 4.5k for additional 2 years warranty. Remember the 4810 is Vista Home Basic, others are Premium. Uses DDR3 RAM.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6524 19th August 2017 13:08
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks