Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 21:53   #2116
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Strongly advise against such companies.

Look at the Inspiron 13z and 14z.

MSI is a great company with no support. Same goes for Asus. If you aren't a hardcore techy, you would be better off with a company offering decent A.S.S.

Sony etc are just style statements. Macs have their own legion of fans. I am not one though! Might be coz I can't afford one.
But they are good products in their own right... albeit a bit overpriced.

All the best with the search!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 10:31   #2117
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 345
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Strongly advise against such companies.

Look at the Inspiron 13z and 14z.

MSI is a great company with no support. Same goes for Asus. If you aren't a hardcore techy, you would be better off with a company offering decent A.S.S.

Sony etc are just style statements. Macs have their own legion of fans. I am not one though! Might be coz I can't afford one.
But they are good products in their own right... albeit a bit overpriced.

All the best with the search!
Samsung produces Memory and hard disks for computers and its a pioneer in memory industry. I agree Sony laptops are just for style statements, Asus and MSI for technocrats. Acer is a good laptop in India.
funda2max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 11:20   #2118
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

What memory!?

Afaik Samsung does not produce any memory modules. I might be ignorant here!

Are you talking about the semiconductor company under the Samsung umbrella?
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 12:11   #2119
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

@ Essyouwe: I have been a satisfied owner of Samsung laptop for past 5 years. Now I think your sweeping statement/prejudice is not justified. The laptop were first in the world to bring about true bright technology for the best TFTs. Also HP and Dell at that time still used the age old LCDs that were no match. Thereafter Sony-Samsung and later LG-Philips started made it volume business.

Samsung conglomerate has numerous companies and each excelling in its domain. Yes, they make RAM too. Samsung is a well recognized PC maker in US and SE Asia.

@funda2max: Again I use a 4 year old VAIO, more than the style statement it is a wonder of tech. While Apple themselves complimented VAIO for the design and robustness. Currently if you want a home entertainment PC with blueray capabilities, Sony is the leader and VFM. Others do not even have that option.

IBM left great many innovations that Lenevo did not utilize right, HP/Dell and now Acer/Asus are mass market products that are compromised to suit all.

Being a hardcore techie and a car freak, I can tell you its not always the higher spec car that wins.

There are always thought leaders and there are posers. And so there will always be patrons for the former.

P.S. I am a tech turned Organic farmer so I am not associated with any brand. My objective is that people who seek right information should get it.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 12:27   #2120
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Lol!

Samsung, LG etc are all good for refrigerators and TVs. They aren't OEMs for Laptops and their laptops will invariably suck.

Strongly advise against such companies.

Samsung is one of the few companies which make lot of computer hardware components like memory units, HDD, DVD drives, TFT, LCD, battery units etc. They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEMís etc.

Most of the PC manufactures like HP, Dell procure hardware components from Samsung.

Samsung is a considered as a good brand in US and European markets and its products sells at a premium. So donít go by prejudice, use and experience.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 14:03   #2121
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
@ Essyouwe: I have been a satisfied owner of Samsung laptop for past 5 years. Now I think your sweeping statement/prejudice is not justified. The laptop were first in the world to bring about true bright technology for the best TFTs. Also HP and Dell at that time still used the age old LCDs that were no match. Thereafter Sony-Samsung and later LG-Philips started made it volume business.

Samsung conglomerate has numerous companies and each excelling in its domain. Yes, they make RAM too. Samsung is a well recognized PC maker in US and SE Asia.
TruBrite is Toshiba's technology.

PS:I am not saying Samsung sucks or something. Just that MSI and Asus are OEMs and therefore a much better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post

@funda2max: Again I use a 4 year old VAIO, more than the style statement it is a wonder of tech. While Apple themselves complimented VAIO for the design and robustness. Currently if you want a home entertainment PC with blueray capabilities, Sony is the leader and VFM. Others do not even have that option.
What makes it a wonder? I would love to know how it is technologically superior to other products in the market. Has Sony started offering quantum computing on its laptops now?

When you get a laptop with a T4200 as a processor for 60,000 rupees... It is really hard to see it as VFM.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
HP/Dell and now Acer/Asus are mass market products that are compromised to suit all.
Sony and Samsung cater to a niche market which desires products that look 'hot'? I agree... No compromises on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEMís etc.
I think you meant VARs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Most of the PC manufactures like HP, Dell procure hardware components from Samsung.

Samsung is a considered as a good brand in US and European markets and its products sells at a premium. So donít go by prejudice, use and experience.
Samsung provides viewing solutions and HDDs. Not the computing heart. Just because a brand commands a premium does not mean the products are the best (Honda Jazz :P).

These days no machine is bad. They are all pretty good, but IMHO some brands are better deals than others.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 15:12   #2122
BHPian
 
longford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 159
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Samsung is one of the few companies which make lot of computer hardware components like memory units, HDD, DVD drives, TFT, LCD, battery units etc. They also contract manufacture laptops & Destops for OEM’s etc.

Most of the PC manufactures like HP, Dell procure hardware components from Samsung.

Samsung is a considered as a good brand in US and European markets and its products sells at a premium. So don’t go by prejudice, use and experience.
Ahem!

Samsung is like the baap of electronic companies. They make almost everything in the electronic component chain.

Their products are good; right from their washing machines(me a user), fridge, cell phones(wife a user) HDD(user), memory(user).

The interesting thing about the company is that while you may know it as SAMSUNG, their products are all managed as separate business companies. So if the laptop guy wants panels, they have to buy like other buyers from their own panel vending company! Amazing when you think of their business layouts.

For the gent, who was clearly ignorant, perhaps a search on their website and wikipedia might deliver him from his current state
longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 23:30   #2123
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

You are using Samsung memory chips? I remember them coming out with 40 nm ones. Never got around to getting hold of some performance figures. Please share if you know them.

Where did you procure the memory from?


PS: The ignorant gent never denied Samsung's competence in general electronics. Talking specifically of laptops, I consider brands manufacturing their own motherboards etc as superior. So lets keep ourselves to laptops.

Last edited by EssYouWe : 15th December 2009 at 23:37.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 01:05   #2124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 294
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Samsung does makes Memory modules. It's even the default manufacturer for Sony, Acer & toshiba ( under RAM section ) .

40nm memory modules does not represent a class of product, its a technological enhancement under chip building technology. It does not represent speed or some major upgrade in terms of performance, its just about smaller and better designed & envoirment friendly.

Essyouwee : getting Samsung memory memory could be a hard job as its not a retail product. whosoever sells it, does that taking it from OEM bundles.

So you might wanna get a samsung make memory or a chipset memory module from a equally good company like Transcend, Kingston, OCZ or Corsair.

Might want to enlighten me with which Laptop companies manufacture their own motherboard ( in Laptops ? ) , if you are talking about ASUS or MSI - they dont

Last edited by shan2129 : 16th December 2009 at 01:10.
shan2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 10:52   #2125
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
You are using Samsung memory chips? I remember them coming out with 40 nm ones. Never got around to getting hold of some performance figures. Please share if you know them.

Where did you procure the memory from?


PS: The ignorant gent never denied Samsung's competence in general electronics. Talking specifically of laptops, I consider brands manufacturing their own motherboards etc as superior. So lets keep ourselves to laptops.
In todays times, none of the company manufacturer its own mobo in case of laptop. Small company like shiba, china are outsourced for the job.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 11:12   #2126
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 163
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

sorry to play spoilsport here guys but;

those of who are using or recomending mac - arent the a.s.s cost sky high.

a colleague of mine uses mac pro and he mentioned that the keys (of keyboard) cost him Rs.3000/- each to be replaced....

is that possible...that's insane :(
saildrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 12:04   #2127
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

@Saildrive: Used Mac for about 3years before I tried Sony. I did not have to go see the support once. I can not comment on the same.

@Essyouwe: Bro, the way it sounded was you took them to cleaners

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 13:22   #2128
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Might want to enlighten me with which Laptop companies manufacture their own motherboard ( in Laptops ? ) , if you are talking about ASUS or MSI - they dont

Oh snap! I have been pwned.

I just searched around and couldn't find a company manufacturing mobos for their own laptops. My bad.
I tried to extrapolate the desktop mobo manufacturing process.

Sorry!
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 14:01   #2129
BHPian
 
Edsel Rulez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Croma is offering a Lenovo Ideapad S10-2 netbook with six-cell battery for Rs 17,990, with a Tata Photon Plus thrown in for free. How good is the deal for someone who basically edits docs and presentations and surfs the Web, and is not into high-end graphics and movie-watching?
Edsel Rulez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2009, 16:16   #2130
Senior - BHPian
 
EssYouWe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 1,392
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Hmmm...

I think it sells for 350$ or 400$ outside, so 17990 is a good price in India. Plus the Photon is good. So yeah all in all looks like a good deal.

Just see if you are comfortable with a 10" screen for browsing etc.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6619 11th December 2017 14:11
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:52.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks