Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2011, 15:52   #3076
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
After months of debating and deciding and then undeciding I finally went in for a Dell Studio 17 1745.

The following Specs -

Win 7 Home Premium
17.3'' Screen HD Wide
Core 2 Duo 2 x 2.2 ghz 3 mb cache
3 GB DDR3, 320 GB 5400 RPM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 512 MB Graphics
Slot loading DVD R
2 MP Cam
JBL 2.1 speakers
Backlit Keyboard
6 Cell - 4 to 5 hours Battery
HDMI

These specs are a bit outdated BUT the price is killer - I am getting this from the UK at less than 28k !!

What say guys ?

I am just crossing my fingers as I have asked my colleague to order it today and there are limited stocks so I am hoping I will get mine.

Will get this in 1 month.
Thats really good for a price of 28K. I oo followed the same procedure. Get your laptop abroad and bring it here.
My config is
Core i7 740 qm
16.4" screen
Full backlit keyboard (including numeric keypad)
1 gb nvidia gt 4255m graphics
6gb ram
320 gb HDD @ 7200 rpm
dvd writer
And the price is 51000

Why cant we get it a same price here/

Barath
barathvajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 10:07   #3077
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 38
Thanked: 13 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Partition Magic
I am using this for about 2 years. Very easy to use & IMO it is reliable.

Thank you again Mr Boss,

This is one of the best softwares i have ever used.

Before trying yours, I tried to do partition using Acronis disck director (trial version) and nortion patition magic.
Each one size is over 100 mb. But nothing workes.
But yours just at 8.44 MB, all it took was 10 mins and my disc is now partitioned to my choice.

Simply amazing

Barath
barathvajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 23:14   #3078
Senior - BHPian
 
Mr.Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 2,331 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Thank you again Mr Boss,
....
But yours just at 8.44 MB, all it took was 10 mins and my disc is now partitioned to my choice.
....
The credit goes to the creator of that software.
Before using this, I tried some other software on my friend's laptop & the complete OS got corrupted

For more than 2 years I'm using & recommending Partition Magic.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:05   #3079
Senior - BHPian
 
k_ajay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,156
Thanked: 448 Times
Post re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Hello All,

I'm currently looking to buy a small config laptop for my wife. It will only be used for everyday activities [email, surf, music, chat, documents editing, skype]. So i've zeroed down to this config. My budget is between 28K and 30K.

Intel Core i3 -2.4Ghz
4GB DDR3 Ram
500GB HDD
14" Screen [this was my wife's only requirement. Nothing lesse, no more]
Wireless Card, Bluetooth.
Inbuild Intel HD Graphics
LightScribe DVD +/-RW DVD Writer
Win 7 Home Basic 64 Bit
Webcam and AltecLansing inbuilt speakers and the standard fare.
1 year International Warranty

Some basic [and possibly not great brands] accessories [10-15] are given with the laptop, along with a HP backpack..

I'm getting this for 32K. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your responses.
ajay K
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:37   #3080
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hello All,

I'm currently looking to buy a small config laptop for my wife. It will only be used for everyday activities [email, surf, music, chat, documents editing, skype]. So i've zeroed down to this config. My budget is between 28K and 30K.

Intel Core i3 -2.4Ghz
4GB DDR3 Ram
500GB HDD
14" Screen [this was my wife's only requirement. Nothing lesse, no more]
Wireless Card, Bluetooth.
Inbuild Intel HD Graphics
LightScribe DVD +/-RW DVD Writer
Win 7 Home Basic 64 Bit
Webcam and AltecLansing inbuilt speakers and the standard fare.
1 year International Warranty

Some basic [and possibly not great brands] accessories [10-15] are given with the laptop, along with a HP backpack..

I'm getting this for 32K. Is this a good deal?

Thanks for your responses.
ajay K

I got a Gateway 14 inch NV49 (http://www.priceindia.in/laptop/gateway-nv49c-price/) with Win7 Home Premium and a laptop bag for 28K recently.

Gateway is a subsidiary of Acer & Acer provides the warranty support for Gateway.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:14   #3081
Senior - BHPian
 
ghodlur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 4,924
Thanked: 1,912 Times
Question re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

HP, UK is offering an i5-460M processor laptop for GBP 429 which roughly comes to 32K INR. The model is G62-b32SA and the config is as below:
Processor - i5-460M Intel core
Ram - 3 GB DDR3
Hard disk - 320 GB
Display - 39.6 cm (15.6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
Others - Intel HD graphics, Webcam with integrated mic, Wi-fi, Win 7

The only grouse is the warranty is for UK only the waranty voids if taken out of UK. Would HP india offer a warranty for such a buy. Is this a good buy.

The same config for an i3 processor cost about GBP 379 (approx 28K). Which one should I go for or would it be better if I buy one in India?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 12:30   #3082
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 353
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Just ordered a HP Pavilion DM1 Notebook from flipkart for RS 25460. Was on the look out for a portable notebook for wifey and zeroed in on this one. This notebook is a step up from netbook with better processing power and her needs were for a notebook that weighed less than 2 Kg but with better capabilities that a netbook.
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 11:08   #3083
BHPian
 
sai_ace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CBE-BLR
Posts: 280
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

I dont know if this is appropriate here, but I am facing some issues with my laptop. Tha laptop in question here is a Dell XPS m1530 purchased in july 2008. The laptop was fine till 3 months ago,after which whenever I shut it down would not reboot again.

Took it to a service centre who said the 'inverter' must be gone and he charged me 3.5k to resolve it. The warranty period was over then, hence the service centre.

the problem kept resurfacing and the laptop was taken twice to the SC, and he managed to get it fixed only for the problem to resurface in a week.

I dont know what the problem is currently. The dell support will ask me to replace the motherboard which costs around 10K. I do not think its worth it.

I am quite lost as to figuring out what exactly is wrong with laptop. Does anybody have any idea?

Also I have a doubt whether its a problem with the Nvidia chip set, the details of which are here The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page. I know that the dates have passed but can anyone here advice me on how to go about making an appeal about this india here?
sai_ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 11:26   #3084
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Just ordered a HP Pavilion DM1 Notebook from flipkart for RS 25460. Was on the look out for a portable notebook for wifey and zeroed in on this one. This notebook is a step up from netbook with better processing power and her needs were for a notebook that weighed less than 2 Kg but with better capabilities that a netbook.
I am also on the look out for such a Notebook and DM1 is very much in my mind. Only grouse is the lack of a optical drive. Can any one suggest me any laptop which meets my requirements:

1. i5 processor.
2. 4GB RAM.
3. Less than 2kg in weight.
4. Built-in DVD R+W optical drive.
5. Display screen not more than 13".
6. Budget under 40K.

If I dont any alternative to DM1, I will go for DM1 with a better configuration.

EDIT:
I think the closest is HP pavilion DM4.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 10th June 2011 at 11:29.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 12:32   #3085
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 353
Thanked: 121 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I am also on the look out for such a Notebook and DM1 is very much in my mind. Only grouse is the lack of a optical drive. Can any one suggest me any laptop which meets my requirements:

1. i5 processor.
2. 4GB RAM.
3. Less than 2kg in weight.
4. Built-in DVD R+W optical drive.
5. Display screen not more than 13".
6. Budget under 40K.

If I dont any alternative to DM1, I will go for DM1 with a better configuration.

EDIT:
I think the closest is HP pavilion DM4.
It will be difficult to get one with your config for under 40K hence I went for DM1
chennai-indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 12:54   #3086
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,444
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Also I have a doubt whether its a problem with the Nvidia chip set, the details of which are here The NVIDIA GPU Litigation - Home Page. I know that the dates have passed but can anyone here advice me on how to go about making an appeal about this india here?
Check this document here - http://www.nvidiasettlement.com/pdfs/NVF_NOT.pdf

Q30 lists symptoms caused by the NVIDIA part - not rebooting is not listed as one of the symptoms.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 14:10   #3087
Newbie
 
rajanmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thane
Posts: 2
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
I am also on the look out for such a Notebook and DM1 is very much in my mind. Only grouse is the lack of a optical drive. Can any one suggest me any laptop which meets my requirements:

1. i5 processor.
2. 4GB RAM.
3. Less than 2kg in weight.
4. Built-in DVD R+W optical drive.
5. Display screen not more than 13".
6. Budget under 40K.

If I dont any alternative to DM1, I will go for DM1 with a better configuration.

EDIT:
I think the closest is HP pavilion DM4.
Not more than 13" and i5 processor is an uncommon combo and satisfying your other specs should make it almost an impossibility.

However if you are just willing to compromise on 14" and 200 gm more weight, this HP 431-452TX is having great specs for Rs 34,990 HP 431-452TX - Notebook 2nd Generation Intel i5-2410M | eBay

2nd Generation Intel Core i5-2410M, AMD Radeon HD 6470M with 1GB dedicated DDR3 Video Memory, 14.0" LED-backlit HD Widescreen (1366 x 768), 4GB RAM, 640 GB HDD, DVD +/-RW SuperMulti DL, 10/100/1000Mbps LAN, Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth, HDMI, 5 Hour Battery Life, 2.2 kg.
rajanmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 11:17   #3088
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Melbourne, Hyd
Posts: 1,234
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
It will be difficult to get one with your config for under 40K hence I went for DM1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanmehta View Post
Not more than 13" and i5 processor is an uncommon combo and satisfying your other specs should make it almost an impossibility.....
Hmmm!! I thought about i5 because, when ever I had bought PC or laptop, I have bought a higher spec ones. But this time, I am limited to 40K budget as it is paid by the company.

Anyways, I dont mind i3 or Core 2 Duo(if required though). But it should be an Intel based PC. The HP DM1 was rejected as it has AMD processor. Also weight and size are important. Its not uncommon for me to carry the laptop on my shoulders for long hours standing or walking for KMs!! I previously had a Lenovo Netbook S10. It served the purpose but had its limitations. Hence looking for a higher spec than it.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 12:30   #3089
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

My Dell Laptop (Studio 1558) conked off over the weekend. It just refuses to turn on. It was purchased in US around August 2010.

Raised a request with Dell, that process was quite good. Now they should send someone at home to see whats wrong with the laptop. Hope that process is good too.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 17:37   #3090
Newbie
 
rajanmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Thane
Posts: 2
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Hmmm!! I thought about i5 because, when ever I had bought PC or laptop, I have bought a higher spec ones. But this time, I am limited to 40K budget as it is paid by the company.

Anyways, I dont mind i3 or Core 2 Duo(if required though). But it should be an Intel based PC. The HP DM1 was rejected as it has AMD processor. Also weight and size are important. Its not uncommon for me to carry the laptop on my shoulders for long hours standing or walking for KMs!! I previously had a Lenovo Netbook S10. It served the purpose but had its limitations. Hence looking for a higher spec than it.
I think this one may be perfect for you in all aspects.

Toshiba PORTEGE T210-U2310 Specs Link :: Toshiba India ::

And it's available at a very good price here for Rs 30,299 Buy Toshiba Portege T210 U2310 at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews
(You'll have to use discount code icicilb while in the cart to get Rs 1,200 Off on the displayed price of Rs 31,499)
rajanmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6524 19th August 2017 13:08
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks