Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 20:08   #3331
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 193
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Got myself a Lenovo Z370 with following Specs:
2nd Gen Intel Core i3
750GB HDD
13.3"
2GB RAM (Am upgrading this to 6GB by paying 1750/-)
and all other usual stuff (BT, 2MP Cam, etc.,).

Got .5Gms of 22K Gold coin and some accessories.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Got the same machine myself. Pretty satisfied so far and am planning to get a 3 year extended warranty - am told this costs abt 6.5K.
How much did you pay for you machine?
vista_qjd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:23   #3332
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,327 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Guys, is the olive notebook any good?

Intel Atom Processor N450 ( 1.66GHz, 512KB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Starter SNPC
Intel NM10 Express Chipset
10.1" LED Backlit WSVGA Screen Display with 1024X600 resolution
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 with Direct X9 support
1 GB DDR II
160 GB, SATA HDD

For 15.5 k, and is only needed for internet mail, and facebook.
it'll be a learner lappy for my mom.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:56   #3333
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Guys, is the olive notebook any good?

Intel Atom Processor N450 ( 1.66GHz, 512KB L2 Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Starter SNPC
Intel NM10 Express Chipset
10.1" LED Backlit WSVGA Screen Display with 1024X600 resolution
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 with Direct X9 support
1 GB DDR II
160 GB, SATA HDD

For 15.5 k, and is only needed for internet mail, and facebook.
it'll be a learner lappy for my mom.
I would suggest you rather go for this: Acer Aspire One AOHAPPY2YELLOW Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Acer Netbook

It's a better known brand and better *** too.

If you can put 3-4K more than you can get an AMD Fusion (Better than Inter Atom and Intel Atom dual core) based netbook.
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:01   #3334
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I would suggest you rather go for this: Acer Aspire One AOHAPPY2YELLOW Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Acer Netbook

It's a better known brand and better *** too.
I own a Gateway laptop. Gateway belongs to Acer it's serviced by Acer CS.
The build quality of the laptop isn't as good as a Dell or a Lenovo. The A SS is also not as good as Dell.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:31   #3335
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I own a Gateway laptop. Gateway belongs to Acer it's serviced by Acer CS.
The build quality of the laptop isn't as good as a Dell or a Lenovo. The A SS is also not as good as Dell.
When I said better. I meant better than Olive. I never said they offer the best A**. Dell rules in that dept.

I bought an Acer Aspire One Intel Atom N450, 1GB RAM DDR2 netbook for me better half about 18 months back. It's still going strong. And I'm happy with the A** service that I've received.

If you have any suggestions as to what he can buy, then please suggest.

P.S: There's a Dell Mini too for your Mayankk Dell Inspiron Mini Atom/2GB/250GB/win7 Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Netbook
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:46   #3336
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk
For 15.5 k, and is only needed for internet mail, and facebook.
it'll be a learner lappy for my mom.
I recommend an iPad or any Android tablet. It is so much fun for my mom and I did not have to break my head to make her learn, it is intuitive for even a child. Kindly do think over the alternatives.

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 18:12   #3337
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,081
Thanked: 3,327 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I recommend an iPad or any Android tablet. It is so much fun for my mom and I did not have to break my head to make her learn, it is intuitive for even a child. Kindly do think over the alternatives.

Cheers!
Well, she used my office lapy when i was aay for a few weeks, and so the learning bit has been taken care of in my absence()
She tried her hands on a tab, the p1000, and didnt like it much, since the interface for FB especially is drastically different from what she was comfortable with.
hnece...
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 00:20   #3338
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 833
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Hey Guys I purchased my Sony Vaio in March. Now I am looking for another "VERY BASIC" laptop for my mom. It has to be a mini. Budget is around 15-16K.

Preferences:

1) Has to be very hardy for rough use and all

2) Has to have a decent camera for video chatting.

3) Has to have a good battery life.

Requirements:

1) Mostly Skype for video chatting

2) Microsoft word and excel

3) Web browsing

Today I went to check out a few minis. The Acer with Atom dual core looked a good buy.It also supports Android. Well thats what I told. They were asking for 15200. The price is negotiable. The following brands looked good:
1) Acer

2) HP

3) Lenovo

4) Samsung

In one of the shops i saw a MSI. Looked too good. How is it?? Is it reliable? What about the service back up? The salesman wasn't very interested to show me this.
One more thing--- There are laptops which come without Windows 7 but with dos. Acer and Samsung are the options. That way the prices take a huge dip. Plus i can install original Windows 7 at a very less price. So the overall cost comes to around 13-14K. Is it a good option or is there a catch???

Please Help
Too many questions I know.

Last edited by Pancham : 6th December 2011 at 00:24.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 03:43   #3339
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hey Guys I purchased my Sony Vaio in March. Now I am looking for another "VERY BASIC" laptop for my mom. It has to be a mini. Budget is around 15-16K.

Preferences:

1) Has to be very hardy for rough use and all

2) Has to have a decent camera for video chatting.

3) Has to have a good battery life.

Requirements:

1) Mostly Skype for video chatting

2) Microsoft word and excel

3) Web browsing

One more thing--- There are laptops which come without Windows 7 but with dos. Acer and Samsung are the options. That way the prices take a huge dip. Plus i can install original Windows 7 at a very less price. So the overall cost comes to around 13-14K. Is it a good option or is there a catch???

Please Help
Too many questions I know.
Ever thought about getting a tablet instead? All your 6 requirements can be easily met with a tablet and you can get it within the price range too.

Not many minis in market now a days, but it will be slow with win 7 if it has less than 2gb. if you can get it sans OS, get it and install it if the price difference is too big. This should be done only if you have licensed copy, else it is better to get it pre installed so you get a genuine copy. hope this helps
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 05:44   #3340
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 833
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Ever thought about getting a tablet instead? All your 6 requirements can be easily met with a tablet and you can get it within the price range too.

Not many minis in market now a days, but it will be slow with win 7 if it has less than 2gb. if you can get it sans OS, get it and install it if the price difference is too big. This should be done only if you have licensed copy, else it is better to get it pre installed so you get a genuine copy. hope this helps

Had it been for my use I would have gone for a tablet may be but it will be my mom's laptop. So I dont think she will be able to handle a touch screen.
I can get the Acer with 2GB for 15500 without negotiations.

Last edited by Pancham : 6th December 2011 at 05:46.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 05:59   #3341
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Had it been for my use I would have gone for a tablet may be but it will be my mom's laptop. So I dont think she will be able to handle a touch screen.
I can get the Acer with 2GB for 15500 without negotiations.
Sound's reasonable. In that case, please look at Lenovo ideapad s205.i don't know how much it costs there, but here is just $300. If not that one, try S10, it should fit in your budget.

Last edited by chevelle : 6th December 2011 at 06:01.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 06:02   #3342
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 833
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Sound's reasonable. In that case, please look at Lenovo ideapad s205. it should fit your budget.
This is the one I am talking about Acer Aspire One AOHAPPY2YELLOW Netbook: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Acer Netbook

I am not sure about the A.S.S of Acer though.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:54   #3343
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am not sure about the A.S.S of Acer though.
Not very good - in my experience. Not terrible, but too good also.
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 10:39   #3344
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 833
Thanked: 125 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Not very good - in my experience. Not terrible, but too good also.
Hmmm. That is a big concern actually. The reliability factor is important because mom is going to use it. What about MSi??? Any idea??
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 10:47   #3345
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 414
Thanked: 161 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hmmm. That is a big concern actually. The reliability factor is important because mom is going to use it. What about MSi??? Any idea??
Pancham. I've an Acer netbook. Bought about 1 1/2 years back. I get a pretty decent A$$ in Bangalore. If A$$ a real worry for you, skip MSI , better get a Dell Mini or Sony Mini or HP mini or Samsung.

Last edited by creative420 : 6th December 2011 at 10:49. Reason: Info
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6593 21st October 2017 15:21
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:44.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks