Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:56   #4231
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,479
Thanked: 3,623 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
Is your problem solved?

If not here are a couple of steps to follow:
Right click on battery sign and select "Dell Battery Meter"
Select "Battery Life" from the dialog box that appears.
De-select "Disable Battery Charging", press OK and confirm OK again.

Hope this helps.
Nope already tried it and did it again now. Still the same result: "plugged in, not charging".
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2014, 22:57   #4232
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default

Someone has any idea how to get rid of windows 8.1, factory installed?
I tried slax and windows 7 bootable DVD, but get a grldr error.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:31   #4233
BHPian
 
sidhu_hs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hisar
Posts: 72
Thanked: 159 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Nope already tried it and did it again now. Still the same result: "plugged in, not charging".
In that case, it is new territory for me as well. A couple of things off the top of my head you can try are:
Try this battery in some other compatible laptop.
Try some other battery in your laptop.
If both the above give positive results, maybe you should give complete Windows and Drivers re-install a shot.
Else chat with a dell representative giving the service tag of someone who has warranty left.
sidhu_hs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 08:47   #4234
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 221
Thanked: 66 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Can you use that 8GB flash partition as OS boot partition? If yes then you can go ahead with this one.
As per the requirements of 8.1, min hard disk space needed is 20gb. Hence, I guess we cannot use the 8gb flash as OS boot partition.

Also, as per the info available on the net, hybrid hdd with flash stores the frequently used/accessed information based on our usage and hence will be faster to access that information. This will be based on our usage patterns and information accessed and may happen after some time. Till then, it may be same as a normal 500 rpm hdd.

Any additional information/thoughts on this will be helpful. Thanks.
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2014, 23:18   #4235
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 366
Thanked: 284 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post

Any additional information/thoughts on this will be helpful. Thanks.
The hybrid drives don't allow you to access the 8GB flash.
It is just a cache. So, it moves the regularly used files there and you get better speed.
You cannot install or store anything YOURSELF there, it is an algorithm built into the drive and Intel Rapid Storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys,

Thanks in advance.
I'll say this, if you can put in a SSD into the system, then get a 120GB EVO840 and use it as a boot drive plus install some vital apps on it as well. Last I checked amazon had it for 4500 with a lightning deal.

Then, if you do have a SSD, then choose the 7200RPM drive, will give you faster results but, at the expense of more heat and noise.

I was not impressed by the WD black SSHD in my Y50 and put in the SSD from my then newly returned Y510p. (EVO840 250GB)
SSD+HDD will give you a good experience, fast boot and app loading with massive storage space for media on the HDD.

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 27th September 2014 at 23:25.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2014, 19:30   #4236
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 126
Thanked: 102 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
I was not impressed by the WD black SSHD in my Y50 and put in the SSD from my then newly returned Y510p. (EVO840 250GB)
SSD+HDD will give you a good experience, fast boot and app loading with massive storage space for media on the HDD.
Can you explain how to install SSD alongwith HDD.
What are prerequisites in a laptop, I have a laptop (HP - G62) and am considering adding SSD.
Will appreciate even if you point me to some useful links.
Thanks
JLS
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2014, 19:49   #4237
Senior - BHPian
 
nilanjanray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,826
Thanked: 2,386 Times
Default VFP laptop for photo processing

Folks,

Can the experts recommend a few good value for money laptop options for photo processing?

I am looking at 12-16Gb RAM and a good graphics engine. And at least 1TB of hard drive.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014, 22:32   #4238
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 366
Thanked: 284 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
Can you explain how to install SSD alongwith HDD.
What are prerequisites in a laptop, I have a laptop (HP - G62) and am considering adding SSD.
Will appreciate even if you point me to some useful links.
Thanks
JLS
You have 2 options.
If your laptop has 2 SATA ports, then it is easy to just drop in 2 drives.
Same can be done with an m.2 or ngff input.

You could remove your optical disk drive and put in a caddy to put in another HDD.

Next, if you don't have/(want to do) the above, then just get something like the WD Black2. SSD&HDD in one drive. Not the nasty hybrid drive a proper SSD and HDD.

You should check you laptop's maintenance guide for the same.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...roduct=4308554
____________
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Folks,

Can the experts recommend a few good value for money laptop options for photo processing?

I am looking at 12-16Gb RAM and a good graphics engine. And at least 1TB of hard drive.
I'll suggest the Lenovo Y50.
You get a single stick of 8GB ram, so you can install another stick of 8GB for cheap.
An 860M which is pretty much a beast in this range. (76-80k)
A i7-4710HQ.
CONS:
1.It throttles to 2.4GHZ after touching 65 degrees, can be fixed by using throttlestop.
2.Consumer grade laptop.
3.TERRIBLE SCREEN. Nothing requiring color accuracy can be done on the system, although a screen replacement is super easy and not that expensive.

**If the upgrades (RAM+SCREEN) cost is more than the MSI GHOST PRO then the Ghost pro is a better buy.
These are your alternatives:
ASUS
MSIhttp://www.flipkart.com/msi-gs60-2pc...b-56526f73c2d9

Last edited by H_Dogg72 : 2nd October 2014 at 22:39.
H_Dogg72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2014, 11:34   #4239
BANNED
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Nasik
Posts: 105
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

How is the service and reliability of Asus Laptops compared to Dell & HP in India.
Was Looking for ASUS Zenbook UX303LA-DB51T
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 12:59   #4240
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Hi Guys,

Need help on Laptop suggestions. Looking for a laptop for home use to replace my aging Dell Inspiron. Laptop will be used for browsing websites, working on wrd/excel docs and reading pdfs. Occassionally the laptop will be used for watching movies/TV series.

I see that Flipkart/Amazon/Snapdeal have amazing deals going on and I want to get a laptop at good prices.

I am not looking for any particular brand - I just want good services in case the laptop stops working (I am quite happy with Dell's serice and quality).

Also I am very happy with Windows 7. Is windows 8 very different from it? Is it as stable and user friendly? Few of my friends were complaining that Windows 8 was not that good. However the OS is not a deal breaker for me. Also would like to have Microsoft Office preloaded in the laptop.

Kindly let me know your suggestions! Help will be greatly appreciated!
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 14:07   #4241
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,961 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Need help on Laptop suggestions. Looking for a laptop for home use to replace my aging Dell Inspiron.
Depends on your budget/screen size actually, which you have not indicated. As far as service quality goes, Lenovo is number 1 (as long as you are in warranty), Dell is just as good but I'm not sure if they have on-site. Also not sure which models have Microsoft Office pre-loaded, but even if they do pre-load, it'll cost just about the same as buying a copy from the store. I got an Office 2013 copy from the company.

I assume you want a consumer-grade laptop, i.e glossy screens for better video contrast and for light use where the processor strength or clocking doesn't matter. Personally I wouldn't buy a laptop or phone through online shopping. I'm the type who likes to see it in person, test the keyboard, check the overall build & then buy. You cant even find the date of the stock through online shopping. It would be slightly cheaper than buying off the shelf though so if you trust them its fine.

As far as brands go, I've always been a Lenovo/ThinkPad user and it has served me well with no problems. I chose a ThinkPad because of the 3 year on-site warranty where any problem will be attended to in my home. In my view Lenovo's run cooler than Dell's and quieter too (maybe I'm wrong). Both have a range from 40k-80k. Windows 8 isn't made for typing experience at all, or atleast it isn't as keyboard friendly as a Windows 7 so if you aren't going for a touch-screen laptop like Lenovo Flex/Yoga keep it strictly to Windows 7 (it's supported for updates till 2019). Win 8 has been rejected by majority of the business users anyway.

If service is important keep it between Lenovo/Dell. For your use an i3 processor w/4GB RAM is adequate, anything more is bonus.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 14:40   #4242
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 384
Thanked: 190 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Depends on your budget/screen size actually, which you have not indicated. As far as service quality goes, Lenovo is number 1 (as long as you are in warranty), Dell is just as good but I'm not sure if they have on-site. Also not sure which models have Microsoft Office pre-loaded, but even if they do pre-load, it'll cost just about the same as buying a copy from the store. I got an Office 2013 copy from the company.
Thanks for your reply! Everyone seems to be telling me to get a laptop with Windows 7 and hearing that Windows 8 is not that good. But on online websites there are no laptops with Windows 7. I guess they should be available in offline stores. Need to check that out. I will definately look at Lenovo.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2014, 17:09   #4243
BHPian
 
amansanc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 437
Thanked: 656 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys,

Need help on Laptop suggestions. Looking for a laptop for home use to replace my aging Dell Inspiron. Laptop will be used for browsing websites, working on wrd/excel docs and reading pdfs. Occassionally the laptop will be used for watching movies/TV series.

I see that Flipkart/Amazon/Snapdeal have amazing deals going on and I want to get a laptop at good prices.
Check out Lenovo and Dell Laptops. i3 with 4GB ram is what you would need. So you should be able to get one for around 26-30k without windows. You can then install Windows 7. The ones with Windows 8.1 would cost around 31-40k depending on the configuration.

But beware! Most brands are not offering warranty and special offers for most of the online retailers. So check before proceeding with the purchase. Dell offers warranty only for laptops purchased through WS Retail on flipkart and 1 or 2 other websites.


Cheers
amansanc
amansanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 07:19   #4244
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Guys

Need some guidance. I am in Australia at the moment and planning to buy a laptop for myself. Basic office use and web stuff. I liked the Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1. Really liked the laptop for it has to offer. I was about to buy it last weekend but then came across on the Dell site that I comes in 2 processor configurations.

1. Intel Celeron Dual Core @ $579
2. 4th Generation Intel Core i3 @ $699

Now, what I want to understand is is it really worth to spend that extra $120 (₹6500) for i3?

Over all the remaining specs remain the same. 4GB ram, 500 GB hdd, licensed win 8.1 etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 09:38   #4245
BHPian
 
RonXRi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys

Need some guidance. I am in Australia at the moment and planning to buy a laptop for myself. Basic office use and web stuff. I liked the Dell Inspiron 11 3000 Series 2-in-1. Really liked the laptop for it has to offer. I was about to buy it last weekend but then came across on the Dell site that I comes in 2 processor configurations.

1. Intel Celeron Dual Core @ $579
2. 4th Generation Intel Core i3 @ $699

Now, what I want to understand is is it really worth to spend that extra $120 (₹6500) for i3?

Over all the remaining specs remain the same. 4GB ram, 500 GB hdd, licensed win 8.1 etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Hello,
Intel Celeron is a really basic and slow processor, designed for budget PCs. It'll probably handle office stuff, but become horribly slow for even the smallest of demanding applications. If you have the budget, I'd recommend you go with the i3
RonXRi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6619 11th December 2017 14:11
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks