Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2015, 10:25   #4456
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Touch panel is useless unless you get laptop-cum-tablet, something like this: http://www.amazon.in/Asus-T100TA-DK0...pid=B00N1WCMXC

This is bit expensive but its a proper laptop with proper hard-disk unlike the cheaper variants which are available at around 20K but come only with small storage like 32GB MMC where OS is loaded so nothing much left for user.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 16th September 2015 at 10:47.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:39   #4457
RAC
BHPian
 
RAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 185
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
This sounds great !! But I think a brand new 11 incher would cost about the same price if you buy a new one from online stores.
Correct, about the same price, but without OS. Original install is going to cost a packet. Does not make sense to buy one separately but there are other cheaper options

My fix is that I have a small budget. I can afford a Celeron/Pentium Machine with OS or an i3 machine without OS.


@tbppjpr: the only reason why touch screen came into the picture was because I was offered the machine and it looked like a good deal (good configuration for the price). Am not actually looking for a touch screen model.

Last edited by RAC : 16th September 2015 at 10:45.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:59   #4458
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
My fix is that I have a small budget. I can afford a Celeron/Pentium Machine with OS or an i3 machine without OS.
If you are okay with 11" screen then go for that used deal. Or else I would suggest to go for something like Asus X555LA i3 without OS, install Linux Mint and a solid device is set to serve you for years. It will run cool and will give you very good battery backup once you properly configure the OS for efficiency. Once you start using Linux, you will forget the Windows unless there is some particular app which you want to run is available only on Windows. No need to bother about security or heavy license fee for apps.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 16th September 2015 at 11:02.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 11:19   #4459
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
Correct, about the same price, but without OS. Original install is going to cost a packet. Does not make sense to buy one separately but there are other cheaper options
.

Paytm has the Asus 11.6 with OS for <23k

Last edited by diyguy : 16th September 2015 at 11:29.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 13:52   #4460
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 283
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Team, I am looking for a laptop for my wife who is an architect. Mainly autocad 2-D would be required. What specifications should I look for. My budget is around 30k.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 18:35   #4461
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,108
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

@inder; i do not think 30k will get you very far. She needs a good Graphics card, minimum i5 and preferably 8GB RAM. If it is 2G only then the requirements can be relaxed a bit.

I have an i5 and my wife an i3 (Toshiba, non touch). The latter is really useful only for text browsing, or Facebook or Skype chatting. No serious work beyond this.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st October 2015 at 18:38.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2015, 19:55   #4462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 29
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Team, I am looking for a laptop for my wife who is an architect. Mainly autocad 2-D would be required. What specifications should I look for. My budget is around 30k.
In your Budget you will have a few choices mainly core i3 lineup

- However, you can safely opt for a dell, lenovo, Asus, Acer or a toshiba core i3 laptop with an upgradable ram and hdd option. Try to steer clear of Samsung / HP and dual core old gen processors

Lenovo thinkpad is the best bet

Ideal config could look like:

Core i3 4th gen / i5 3rd gen - 2.2 - 2.7 ghz intel processor with on board graphics

500 gb - 1TB hdd

4 - 8 gb ram

For usage of Autocad, ideally you should look for an i5 - 3rd or 4th gen along with similar other specs mentioned, if you can stretch your budget to 35-37K

Remember buying a better processor config to start with will serve you well over the long run. You can always upgrade the ram and hdd later if there is a need.
Distant Second is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 10:18   #4463
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 283
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

I think I shall get an i3 with the above specs in my budget. Currently she is using a 10 year old pentium core 2 duo. And it was working fine. But the hard disk keeps giving problems.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2015, 10:54   #4464
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Currently she is using a 10 year old pentium core 2 duo. But the hard disk keeps giving problems.
If you buy a ssd hard drive it will breathe new life into your old laptop.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2015, 15:38   #4465
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 297
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Will HP support warranty is laptop is bought from Amazon India? Is there any precautions to be taken for this? I am looking for this laptop:

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B011...A2HET8WN5WRPDY

I mailed the seller and they said that warranty would be valid. Some inputs please.
sups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 13:56   #4466
Lij
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 162
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Will HP support warranty is laptop is bought from Amazon India? Is there any precautions to be taken for this? I am looking for this laptop:

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B011...A2HET8WN5WRPDY

I mailed the seller and they said that warranty would be valid. Some inputs please.
Looks like an Amazon fulfilled order and mentions 1 year manufacturer warranty, so I believe shouldn't be a problem. Also seller rating is quite good (4.7/5).

Once you get the laptop, you can register your product at HP website and it'll activate your warranty and show the date from which the warranty is applicable.

Please note that this date should be within 1 or 2 days of your invoice date and not a date from the past.
Lij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 15:27   #4467
BHPian
 
satan's_valet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: TN09/KA04
Posts: 298
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Team, I am looking for a laptop for my wife who is an architect. Mainly autocad 2-D would be required. What specifications should I look for. My budget is around 30k.
If you can get someone from US to buy a laptop, you can get a higher config within your budget. I am in the same boat as yours and am trying to get the below laptop from US for my wife.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-15-6-La...rds=lenovo+g50

I still have some time and hopefully get a little more discount in the Thanksgiving sales.
satan's_valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 18:49   #4468
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Can someone suggest the lightest (preferably Windows) laptop that I can get for under 40K ? I don't need touch or other extra conveniences. All I need is a full-fledged laptop with a decent keyboard. Screen size 12"-14" is cool for me.

My use is typically, uh, just browsing, watching videos, and writing (blog posts, emails, etc). Sometimes, I do like to play Simcity or Train Sim. I'd like the laptop to withstand an occasional spike in CPU and memory demand.

Anything but Lenovo, please.

Thanks a ton!
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 19:20   #4469
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 464 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Can someone suggest the lightest (preferably Windows) laptop that I can get for under 40K ? I don't need touch or other extra conveniences. All I need is a full-fledged laptop with a decent keyboard. Screen size 12"-14" is cool for me.
Not that lightweight, but you can get a proper mid range gaming laptop in that kind of budget.

Few months back bought one Asus i5 (5th gen) with nVidia 920M graphics for one of the relative.

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x555lj-...me6wrk2zypg4zg

Best thing is it runs cool during normal usage, doesn't get overheated like my Lenovo Y50-70 which turns into a stove as soon as put it under little bit of workload. Screen resolution of the above Asus is mediocre for the 15.6" size but color rendition and viewing angles are above average if not great, atleast far-far greater than the crappy Chinese FHD panel of my Y50.

If you are not hell bent on the lightweight then I would strongly recommend it to anyone it being a VFM offering at around 41-42K (we bough it locally at that price). Also being equipped with latest generations of mis range chips, this will remain future proof for longer duration.

Another option is i3 again from Asus though it doesn't have dedicated graphics but offers very decent battery backup. Battery didn't go below 60% after using more than 2-3 hours during first day I had it with me. It feels lighter compared to the above i5 or my Y50. IIRC it weighs around 2.2 or 2.3kg. Model name is ASUS X555LA-XX172D and it costed just Rs 27K locally.

Its decent enough for routine office apps or browsing. Most amazing part I found about both these Asus laptop is that they just don't get overheated. Forget overheating, the i3 model doens;t even get warm, it felt cool at every portion I touched. This was big surprise for me coming form an expensive Lenovo laptop.

Just stay away from the Chinese, they are just not worth. I took chances thinking Lenovo is global company and own IBM ThinkPad but got disappointed by learning that they just don't know anything about computer making, rather inject their electronic items with Chinese spywares which get cumbersome to get rid of.

Finally cleaned everything came on the laptop hard-disk, even deleted the partition table and stock One-key-recovery. Running fresh Linux and fresh Windows 10 in dual boot config on my Y50. Now will have to spend around 9K for replacing the display panel with better one so that it can become viewable.

This was first and last item form any Chinese origin brand, now no more.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2015, 20:17   #4470
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: THE Laptop Thread: Configs, deals and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Not that lightweight, but you can get a proper mid range gaming laptop in that kind of budget.

Few months back bought one Asus i5 (5th gen) with nVidia 920M graphics for one of the relative.

http://www.flipkart.com/asus-x555lj-...me6wrk2zypg4zg

Best thing is it runs cool during normal usage, doesn't get overheated like my Lenovo Y50-70 which turns into a stove as soon as put it under little bit of workload. Screen resolution of the above Asus is mediocre for the 15.6" size but color rendition and viewing angles are above average if not great, atleast far-far greater than the crappy Chinese FHD panel of my Y50.

If you are not hell bent on the lightweight then I would strongly recommend it to anyone it being a VFM offering at around 41-42K (we bough it locally at that price). Also being equipped with latest generations of mis range chips, this will remain future proof for longer duration.

Another option is i3 again from Asus though it doesn't have dedicated graphics but offers very decent battery backup. Battery didn't go below 60% after using more than 2-3 hours during first day I had it with me. It feels lighter compared to the above i5 or my Y50. IIRC it weighs around 2.2 or 2.3kg. Model name is ASUS X555LA-XX172D and it costed just Rs 27K locally.


This was first and last item form any Chinese origin brand, now no more.
That's detailed! Thanks. The Asus you linked to is too large for me. I'll look to see if Acer has better options.

Lightweight is a MUST as I will be traveling quite a bit with my tablet, phone, and this future laptop. It will hopefully not exceed 1.5KG in weight.

Lenovo is a P.O.S company that doesn't know how to make laptops. I learnt it the hard way.

Last edited by hellmet : 8th October 2015 at 20:18.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6593 21st October 2017 15:21
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks