Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:06   #1471
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello Guys,

I am planning to order a Dell Studio 15 notebook (here in Germany). Please have a look and let me know if this configuration is good enough...
Nirmal,

My suggestions:
- Knock off the Microsoft Works (if there is a charge involved)
- Did you not get a higher resolution display? Somewhere around 1440x900?
- Would suggest a higher speed HDD, a 250GB 7200RPM would be better.
- Upgrade 6-cell to 9-cell battery.
- I believe you can still get the official downgrade to XP (if you are interested) in Europe.

And lastly, that is one hell of a price! Gawd! What a steal!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:28   #1472
BHPian
 
nirmalts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- Knock off the Microsoft Works (if there is a charge involved)
This is included in the price and not an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- Did you not get a higher resolution display? Somewhere around 1440x900?
Yes, there is an option for this. Need to shell out 100€ more though. Would this higher resolution add value on a 15'' screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- Would suggest a higher speed HDD, a 250GB 7200RPM would be better.
Yes, this would cost 10€ less. I was thinking in the same direction too. I would be adding an external HDD to my WLAN anyways. So 70GB less is not a problem. Would the higher RPM help during normal operation or only during huge data transfers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- Upgrade 6-cell to 9-cell battery.
Do you know how much extra backup I would get with this (under standard operating conditions?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
- I believe you can still get the official downgrade to XP (if you are interested) in Europe.
Never thought abt this as I would be running Ubuntu. Perhaps, I would get some discount if they let me downgrade. Thanks for the hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
And lastly, that is one hell of a price! Gawd! What a steal!
This pricing is from the official Dell page. Here in Germany, you can buy a Dell only from Dell. At the moment, they have a flat 100€ off + 3 Year onsite warranty + free color upgrade. Also I searched the net and found a free Dell discount coupon for 75€. Thats how it came down to this pricing.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:48   #1473
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Nirmal,

My suggestions:
- Knock off the Microsoft Works (if there is a charge involved)
- Did you not get a higher resolution display? Somewhere around 1440x900?
- Would suggest a higher speed HDD, a 250GB 7200RPM would be better.
- Upgrade 6-cell to 9-cell battery.
- I believe you can still get the official downgrade to XP (if you are interested) in Europe.

And lastly, that is one hell of a price! Gawd! What a steal!
A 9 cell battery will give around 1hour something extra backup however will make Laptop heavier and Studio 15 is already heavy so will suggest against it.

@nirmal - Get in touch with Tbhpian - Devarshi84 as he is working for Dell itself and will suggest you better.
BTW from where you got the Dell discount coupon from?

Also in India its for Rs. - 43900

Last edited by harry10 : 2nd February 2009 at 20:56.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:54   #1474
BHPian
 
nirmalts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@nirmal - Get in touch with Tbhpian - Devarshi84
Thanks Harry, will do that for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
BTW from where you got the Dell discount coupon from?
I simply did a google search (google.de) and came across many German (and also US sites) offering Dell Discount coupons. Here is one such site Dell DE Gutscheine, Gutscheincodes, Rabatte, Coupons & Rabatt-Aktionen | GutscheinStore.com. Don't know if these coupons will work outside Germany.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:08   #1475
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 150 Times
Default

Nirmal - I use 1440x900 on a 15.4" XPS and it looks fantastic!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:25   #1476
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Hello Guys,

I am planning to order a Dell Studio 15 notebook (here in Germany). Please have a look and let me know if this configuration is good enough.
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Prozessor P8400 (2,26 GHz, 3 MB L2-Cache, 1066-MHz-FSB)
  • Midnight Blue with Microsatin Finish
  • Original Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - Deutsch
  • Microsoft® Works 9.0 – Deutsch
  • 3Yr In-Home Warranty Support, including evenings and Saturdays
  • 15,4-Zoll-WXGA WLED-Breitbild-Display (1280 x 800) mit TrueLife™
  • 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera - CCFL
  • 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
  • 320 GB SATA-Festplatte (5.400 U/Min.)
  • 256MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3450 Grafikkarte
  • Kensington Ci 25m Optical Mouse for Notebooks
  • Blu-Ray ROM Drive (read/write CD/DVD & read Blu-Ray Disc)
  • Lithium-Ion-Battery with 6 Cells und 56 Wh
  • Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
  • Intel WiFi Link 5100-Mini-Card, (802.11 a/b/g/n, 1 x 2)
  • 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - European

Costs 822,00€ here (roughly Rs.51,000)

Thanks in advance
Nirmal
Dont go for a faster processor. For you, T6400 will do just fine. It is available as an option in India. Dunno if it is available in Germany.

Go for the higher resolution screen from the money saved. But do make sure you have good eyes. The objects on the screen, though sharper will be smaller and may strain your eyes. Dont go with CCFL WUXGA+ though. CCFL is inferior to WLED and will be an overkill for 15" screen.

7200rpm hdd is anyday faster but do remember that it saps more batterylife. Or so I have received the feedback from many. And strictly keep it 6-cell. 9-cell is not worth the extra weight and price. I personally use 12-cell and my laptop is mostly a desktop replacement due to weight.

As a personal suggestion, leave the graphics card and go for the Intel integrated solution. Laptops are not meant for gaming.

Blu-ray is an exceptional choice but expensive. But do go for it since you will be saving potentially on cpu and GPU.

Hope that helps.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 06:07   #1477
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,854
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
A 9 cell battery will give around 1hour something extra backup however will make Laptop heavier and Studio 15 is already heavy so will suggest against it...
Mmm.... true. I have a 9 cell and it does give me the required work out whenever I carry it. But I get close to 4.5 to 5 hrs of battery time (provided it is in Dell recommended setting). At full performance in battery I get only 3 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...Also in India its for Rs. - 43900
Are you sure? Man, that sucks!!! I paid 71k for my XPS1530, some 5 months back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Nirmal - I use 1440x900 on a 15.4" XPS and it looks fantastic!


Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Dont go for a faster processor. For you, T6400 will do just fine. It is available as an option in India. Dunno if it is available in Germany.
...
7200rpm hdd is anyday faster but do remember that it saps more batterylife. Or so I have received the feedback from many. And strictly keep it 6-cell. 9-cell is not worth the extra weight and price. I personally use 12-cell and my laptop is mostly a desktop replacement due to weight.

As a personal suggestion, leave the graphics card and go for the Intel integrated solution. Laptops are not meant for gaming....
Not sure about your recommendation on going for a slower processor. Similary about the graphics card. I always felt the other way for both of these.

And yes, Nirmal, having a 7200RPM HDD does help in everyday activity also. Basically you will have faster access to the HDD meaning faster responses. And this is not necessarly limited to big files.
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 12:19   #1478
BHPian
 
nirmalts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Thanks for your help

Thanks a lot guys!

I placed the order with Dell yesterday. The changes I made are
  • Upgrade display to 1440x900
  • Retain HDD at 5400 RPM (many said it might take up more power and is more suitable for desktop than laptop (where power is a constraint))
  • Laptop bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Also in India its for Rs. - 43900
Are you sure it is available in India for this price? Because Studio 15 has a standard config which can then be configured by addons (like BluRay etc.) and price goes up with this (esp with BluRay). I know it would be really cheap in US, but thought prices would be higher in India than Europe.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:09   #1479
Senior - BHPian
 
trrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Alleppey, Kerala
Posts: 2,113
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
No repsonse for my email so far from Dell.
A phone from Dell yesterday informing of the sending of a replacement battery. A phone today informing me that I should get the battery by 05/02/2009.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:44   #1480
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:

Are you sure it is available in India for this price? Because Studio 15 has a standard config which can then be configured by addons (like BluRay etc.) and price goes up with this (esp with BluRay). I know it would be really cheap in US, but thought prices would be higher in India than Europe.
Yes its standard config. Blu-ray itself is not an option on all models and is very expensive.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:06   #1481
BHPian
 
nirmalts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stuttgart, Germ
Posts: 252
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Yes its standard config. Blu-ray itself is not an option on all models and is very expensive.
Without BluRay, the Studio would have costed me 140€ less. I am sure this is just a hype going on, like the days when the 2X CD player was introduced and later went upto 32X (or more??). Then came CD writers with 2X write speeds and going up all the way. DVD followed and now BluRay.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 16:06   #1482
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,214
Thanked: 533 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Yes its standard config. Blu-ray itself is not an option on all models and is very expensive.
Hi Devarshi
Got few Q's- regarding Studio 14
1.- Why isn't blue ray option available here, Can we opt for it?
2.- Am still confused between the CCFl and Wled, talked to few friends who have dell and they said not much of a difference, Help me make a choice.
3.- Will upgrade to 4gb ram make a big difference as i found 3gb also quiet fast.
4.- Should i opt for Silver Palmrest with Fingerprint Reader? Am not aware of its significance as such.
5.- Which Carrying case should i choose?
6.- Whats the difference between 65W adaptor and 90W adaptor?
7.- Which color will be best - I prefer Black though.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:43   #1483
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,392
Thanked: 654 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Yes its standard config. Blu-ray itself is not an option on all models and is very expensive.
did you find out about my query.!

asus 1000h with 160gig. I found on ebay but its with 80 gig.

also about dell mini 12
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 20:25   #1484
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Hi Devarshi
Got few Q's- regarding Studio 14
1.- Why isn't blue ray option available here, Can we opt for it?
2.- Am still confused between the CCFl and Wled, talked to few friends who have dell and they said not much of a difference, Help me make a choice.
3.- Will upgrade to 4gb ram make a big difference as i found 3gb also quiet fast.
4.- Should i opt for Silver Palmrest with Fingerprint Reader? Am not aware of its significance as such.
5.- Which Carrying case should i choose?
6.- Whats the difference between 65W adaptor and 90W adaptor?
7.- Which color will be best - I prefer Black though.
Blue-ray is an option but only on the high-end laptops (the xps) because its explicitly expensive in India and not everyone wants it. I wouldnt suggest it to you though as its too expensive.

Do your friends use CCFL or WLED? WLED not only has on-screen difference as mentioned in the link. Most manufacturers are moving to WLED for its advantages on their side (mfring) including Apple.

Certainly get 4 gb if it is in your budget. Otherwise 3gb wont be bad.

no significance to you? It's not needed. Keep fingerprint sensor out.

carrycase depends on the users needs. A backpack for students and a the otherone for people at work. Targus or belkin, you wont really go wrong. i like the Sports one a lot. It's a superb backpack.

Get the 65 watt adaptor. 90 watts will just add mostly to the weight with minor benifits.

colour is personal preference. You like black, black it should be.


Also do get Draft N wireless option isntead of b/g.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd February 2009 at 20:27.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 22:15   #1485
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,079
Thanked: 251 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Also do get Draft N wireless option isntead of b/g.
Won't help unless concerned routers/access points support it.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "NEW" Car Price Check Thread - Track Price Changes, Discounts, Offers & Deals black12rr The Indian Car Scene 6524 19th August 2017 13:08
The Camcorder thread : Tech, deals and specs adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 121 25th April 2014 17:03
New Civic 1.8V AT. Questions questions... ImmortalZ Sedans 6 12th June 2008 09:49
Help in configs - Gift Laptop Jr Godzilla Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 13th January 2008 11:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks