Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th July 2005, 22:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
LOL!

look at my earlier thread where I have mentioned some good and intresting smartphone pda's from motorola. You wouldnt really go wrong with any.
Would suggest the Treo 650 which when compared to the imate JAM has a much better camera (heck, ANY camera would be better than the JAM's) and excellent battery life. It runs on Palm OS and is therefore not as resource-hungry as JAM's Windows Mobile. Additionally, the Treo 650 stores critical data (such as contacts) onto flash memory so that you dont lose data even if you run out of charge - the iMate JAM loses all data about 1/2 an hour after the main battery runs out.

I wouldnt recommend the Motorola smartphones as they have quirky menus and are not very user-friendly for a person used to Nokias and other cellphones. Motorola has not been very successful in the Smartphone space.

However, bear in mind that a majority of the high-end handsets offer smartphone functionality that matters - you will find many handsets that offer good Contacts and Calendar support, as well as email clients and push email support. You dont really HAVE to go for a smartphone/pocketpc unless you really need one - that is if you happen to work on the go. My Siemens SX65, for instance, does everything that my iMate JAM does except for the screen size. In fact its a step ahead of my Nokia 9300 in terms of functionality, as the mini-communicator has nothing going for it except for an impractical wide screen. Their Series 60 phones are much better
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 22:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

treo is not advisable in India as no service would be avaialable and Palm outside US is not much well known. The treo 650 has a .3 MP camera.

Treo is an excellent phone too.Or should I say an excellent pda with good phone features.Palm Os is certainly better in a PDa than Windows or linux.

A1000 is a ditto P910 OS so no quirky menus are present. even E680i has easy user interface different from the traditional motorola styles. e680i has been really successful as a smartphone in the countries available and is also cheap. A1000 is also said to be the best 3g phone around presently.

But I also agree with steeroid that you should go for a smartphone.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 28th July 2005 at 22:34.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 22:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
treo is not advisable in India as no service would be avaialable and it is a damn expensive phone which I wouldnt buy without bill in a grey market. The treo 650 has a .3 MP camera.
Same price as an iMate JAM abroad and its VGA camera takes much better pictures than the former's so-called megapixel camera. Still wont recommend a motorola, though.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2005, 22:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

Its expensive in the sense that I wouldnt buy it without a bill from a grey market.I have edited my post for same thing .

An Imate doesnt have a good cam but A1000's megapixel is excellent in this case. I have had a bad experience with Nokia But I am not biased .
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote